Thanks to BH146 for BH Sports Report and good luck

BH85

I would like to say thanks to BH146 for keeping the BH Sports Report up since 2001 and wish you a good luck in your retirement.  You helped mend my brothers and I when you were athletic trainor and you have kept a lot of fans abreast of sports activities at BH.  You'll be missed....though we know we'll still see you around with your camera.

****The below is off of the BH Sport Report

Thursday, January 1

A Time to Reflect, A Time to Say Thanks, A Time to Say Good-bye

In the summer of 2001, the idea of a sports website dedicated to the coverage of Barbers Hill High School sports began with the sole purpose of providing scores. 

Oh my!  So much has transversed from that time.  A new school, a new sport, a move to a higher classification are a few of the major changes which were shared with a vast(?) yet unknown audience.  When the Barbers Hill Sports Report began, this site administrator did not have a clue of HTML , JPEGs or the use of video clips.  And my word, who could have guessed the firestorm from something called “a message boardâ€. 

The vision was to provide a service until someone from the school could organize and implement a website that would give extensive coverage of all athletic contests.  I am sorry, I cannot wait any longer.  Well into its eighth year, its time to pull the plug on this website.  There are some who feel it is past time, wondering if the site is appropriate.  I can only say that the sole purpose has always been to promote the students at BHHS.  For those who felt otherwise, there was no intent for the material posted to be given in a negative light.  But on the whole, I have received much praise and graditude for the tremendous amount of time I spend in presenting information on the website.  To you, I want to say thank you very much.  Those words of praise have been the capital which has funded each year of existance of the BHSR.

Perhaps more than anything else, the decision to end the Barbers Hill Sports Report is based on the fact that I am retiring at the end of the school year.  I am not exactly sure what it is like to live on a reduced, fixed income but I do know it requires reducing expenses as much as possible.  Though eTeamz provides a free site, this site costs me money because of the way I have structured my site and the amount of data uploaded.  Photos and files quickly eat away at space.  And the site provides no income.  There are no stipends for running the website.  There are no ads.  As a matter of fact, I don’t recall anyone inquiring about advertising on this site.  Thus, there is no justification for continuing the BHSR.

As I stated before, I started the website for the athletes at BHHS.  But I must admit, I was the recipient of the existence of the Barbers Hill Sports Report.  I was challenged to learn much about the workings of the World Wide Web, applying media to my site and eventually the field of photography. 

The desire of providing better than adequate photos for the site has led me into a hobby which will give me many hours of enjoyment during my retirement years.  Photography also provided a connection with many students whom I would never have met especially considering the growth of our school.  Hopefully this will be something I can continue with BH as long as I live in the area. 

So as we begin the 2009 year, Barbers Hill will be looking forward to the culmination of the basketball seasons and competing in the spring sports.  And I will do my best to report the accomplishments be it varsity or sub-varsity squads. 

Here’s to a happy and prosperous New Year!

David Barfield

I'll always know David Barfield as "Doc" since he was our trainer extraordinairre when I was in HS.  He taped many a shin splint for me in track and always had the tank hot for us when we were banged up in football.

There may still be many folks who don't know of his decision yet to to retire the BH Sports Report.  I for one say it will be missed, Doc.  I wish there was someone to pick up the torch, but I just don't know who.  Maybe Gina H. can have the journalism dept take it over as a project for aspiring sports writers!!

To all who see David Barfield around school events this spring:  Make sure you tell him thanks for the effort he put into the website over the years.  It made a lot of students, parents and fans happy to see the stories, photos and scores.  Thanks again, Doc. And enjoy retirement!!!!!!!!!!!

I too am a regular visitor to the BH Sports Report and it will be missed greatly!! I can always count on scores and information being posted on this site to help me keep up with the BH sports program! I hope someone can pick up the tourch and continue this site!!! BH146 if the only reason to shut down the site is finacial then you can try placing a donation button on the site. I know that is how a lot of folks fund their site is through donations. anyway if the site is to close thank you for all that you have brought us through your site over the past 8 years and goodluck to you in our retirement.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami