nederland

There has NEVER been a talent problem at Nederland. There has been, at least in the last couple years, an attitude problem. This year is much of the same. There's talent everywhere from all classes. Coach Robbins will do a good job of putting that talent where it needs to be, trust me. If the kids' attitudes are where they need to be (which they should be behind leaders like Vidrine and Terracina), then the 'Dogs could make a run again this year.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting how this years lineup looks.  Pitching should be solid with Kirby Bellow(2008 1st Team All District), Josh Dean(2nd Team All District), and Cody Laird(2nd Team All District).  Not sure who will be in the bullpen if Roberts is hurt.  Could look to Ryan Brady, Tyler Smith, Trevin Sonnier, or Jacob Pitts to pitch some in relief depending on who is brought up this year.

Infield should be solid:  Kirby Bellow returns at 1st.  The middle infield has worked together since they were nine with Jordan Pitts at SS(2nd Team All District)  and Jude Vidrine at 2nd (Honorable Mention All District).  I know Meat would like to switch them up ??? but I think I would leave them where they have been successful.  3rd is a question mark:  Dean could play it or Terracina could move there and Babino catch or move a new player there.  Terracina returns at catcher but Babino has been working hard at preparing to compete for it.  Outfield is another question mark:  Ryan Brady saw some time in RF last year and has the speed and athleticism to standout.  Babino could end up in the outfield if Terracina stays at catcher. 

In 2007 and 2008 we usually had enough pitching and defense to win but did not generate enough offense in the games we lost.  We never strung a group of hits together consistently.  Bellow led the team in batting followed by Pitts.  They have to continue to hit that way.  Vidrine and Terracina started off hot but were snakebit in district.  They hit the ball on the button but right to the opposition.  Get some of those to fall this year and the offense will be in good shape.

With the returning players and the younger guys like Schlett, Sonnier, Jac. Pitts, T. Smith, D. Campbell, etc. The talent is there to finish out a roster and have a very competitive team.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt Terracina will give up the catcher's postion that easy.  Let me just say this from a good friend of mine that scouts this area,  "The demise of all aspiring upcoming athelets are: ATTITUDE - they think they work hard and have paid their dues, but they haven't, there's a lot of baseball to learn and a lot of dues to pay,  PARENTS, can't tell you how many parents ruin the kids, to many to get into, ACADEMICS - can't make the grade can't play the game!  The process is always the same, we hear of a great athelete at 14 / 15 scout him, keep track of him and by 18 he may still be someone to watch and then again he may not be.  A lot of times, an athelete has fallen victim to one or all of the above."  

As I have said before, Babino is a tough act to crack! He can play any position on the diamond and play it well.  His work ethics on the field are great but he still needs to stay hungry, set goals on and off the field.

Coach Robbins needs to keep attitudes in check.  These boys think they are men / adults,  then Robbins need to treat them as such! If this were the minor or major leagues, they would have contracts, boundries, consiquenses therefore each would have to work hard and earn playing time.  Can't afford to have attitude with the talent that Nederland has to offer.

If Smith, Schlett, and Sonnier and the rest of the newbies can play with Bellows, Terracina, Vidrine and the rest of the vetrene players, Nederland can go a long way.  This is High School Baseball, this is where the parents need to step back let Robbins coach.  

Bellow is more mature, experienced than Tyler Smith or Trevin Sonnier.  

Good thoughts Pex especially mentioning academics.  The grades are getting more and more important at both the High School and Collegiate levels.  Because of the rules effecting college rosters and scholarships, coaches are less willing to take a chance on a player who has grade troubles.  Most players can actually get more money through academics for college than they can for baseball.

Coach Robbins has a good situation because he does have experienced players(Bellow, Dean, Pitts, Vidrine, Terracina, Brady, Babino, Laird, and Roberts)  to be leaders and some very talented underclassmen to build with.  I think most have positive attitudes and high expectations of themselves and the team.  If they do not, Coach Robbins will deal with it.  Position wise Terracina, Bellow, Pitts, and Vidrine, earned their positions and the positions are theirs to lose based on this years performance.  Again Coach Robbins will hold them accountable.  It should be an exciting and competitive year.  The players are there for a playoff run. 

Dog4life, pardon me for saying this, but the word "OK" should never be used at this level or any level of sports or life for that matter. I don not want to sound harsh but let's face it, it is not "OK" to goof during the off season, goof off in academics until baseball season starts then scramble to bring grades up.  It is unfair for ANY Coach or fellow teammates to have to worry about any athlete at any given time for his/her attitude, conduct, or academics.  Robbins has his hands full in all of these areas and it will only get worse.  Nederland has the talent and CAN go far, IF these "YOUNG MEN" can actually get through their heads that this is a period in their lives in which they are making the transition between boys to young men.  It is not "OK" to be a part of ANY organization, and not give it more than "OK" and take a chance of dragging not only your teammates down but your Coach and fans.  If an athlete has any aspirations of making it big, it is NOT "OK" to be mediocre. Train or play in that "OK" level.  Anything worth dreaming for or having is worth the fight. 

I would like to see Nederland do better than "OK"!

Dont get your panties in a wad.........Nederland is gonna be ok!!!!  ;)

Don't sweat Pex! 

Dogs will be good.  I don't think he knows these kids that well.  I haven't heard of any grade issues at this point.  However it i not uncommon for grades to be an issue in every sporting season not just baseball.  It just seems that they find a way to pass during football and not necessarily in the other sport seasons.  Let's face it, God did not make everyone equal when it comes to i.q.  A hard earned C or D is sometimes worth more than an easy A.  Furthermore, there are players on this team that excel academically and are willing to help any other player that needs it make the grades.(National Honor Society students, Jordan Pitts and Jude Vidrine lead in the classroom as well as on the field.)  They'll help any player that asks.  I know Jordan Pitts, Jacob Pitts, Trevin Sonnier, Jude Vidrine, Josh dean, Stephen Schlett, Trey Terracina, Cody Laird are all passing and have pretty good attitudes.  They want to win.  While you may have one individual with an attitude, the attitudes as a team are the best I have seen in three years.  I am starting to believe Pex may have some agenda.  Maybe a relative is not where he wants him in this program.  He talks about issues I just haven't seen with this specific group.  GO DOGS!!!     

Excuse me boys, I see that I have upset all of you and if you read my post, I say nothing negative.  I simply stated that it is not "OK" to do anything mediocre.  Don't you just hate it when you get to the playoffs and darn it you played an "OK" game and PNG wins district. Yes, I do know the boys and NO I have no hidden agenda.  IF I did have someone playing for Nederland, he/she would not just do "OK" academically or athletically.  A great coach once said "NO ONE REMEMBERS SECOND PLACE!"

As for football, I would hate to think that any athletic director, coach, or school would allow an athlete that has signed a letter of intent to commit to a University, get into trouble and sweep under the rug or just say "well that is OK". 

Congrats to Pitts and Vidrine for not only finding the time to make National Honor Society and but to also excel in Baseball.  These boys are doing more for themselves than "OK".

Bet your BVD's on this, I  WANT Nederland to win and win big for the simple fact that they do have the talent and MUST with out a doubt allow NOTHING to get in their way, including themselves.

Prozac is on the top shelf right in front of the " I've got something to say but don't know if i can capsules" or in liquid form the "Beat around the bush and stir crap up bottle". Let the kids play ball, lets the Seniors have a year to remember and lets keep all this B.S. to a minimun. geez!

Excuse me boys, I see that I have upset all of you and if you read my post, I say nothing negative.  I simply stated that it is not "OK" to do anything mediocre.  Don't you just hate it when you get to the playoffs and darn it you played an "OK" game and PNG wins district. Yes, I do know the boys and NO I have no hidden agenda.  IF I did have someone playing for Nederland, he/she would not just do "OK" academically or athletically.   A great coach once said "NO ONE REMEMBERS SECOND PLACE!"

As for football, I would hate to think that any athletic director, coach, or school would allow an athlete that has signed a letter of intent to commit to a University, get into trouble and sweep under the rug or just say "well that is OK". 

Congrats to Pitts and Vidrine for not only finding the time to make National Honor Society and but to also excel in Baseball.  These boys are doing more for themselves than "OK".

Bet your BVD's on this, I  WANT Nederland to win and win big for the simple fact that they do have the talent and MUST with out a doubt allow NOTHING to get in their way, including themselves.

Excuse the high standards and well, Prozac, LOL, is I guess  "OK" but like you said practice has only begun let us all wait until the games begin and hopefully Nederland will have a better than "OK" year.  Ruffling feathers was not my intention, a simple dig deep and be better than average, get out there and give them your all is all I meant, but I agree let the "boys" have fun!! This will be an interesting year and would love to continue on with this but my "prosac" is awaiting, let us pick this post in about a month.     

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami