Ike's wrath draws WO-S' Foreman, players closer with new living quarters

KFDM COOP

Ike's wrath draws WO-S' Foreman, players closer with new living quarters

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — If things would have worked out for the worst, West Orange-Stark quarterback Ortavious Hypolite and linebacker Robert Jiles would not be preparing for Caldwell.

Who knows where the two could have ended up?

Thanks to WO-S quarterbacks’ coach Toby Foreman the Hornets will have to deal with them both as the Mustangs get ready to face Caldwell tonight at 7:30 p.m. at The Woodlands’ Woodforest Stadium.

Hurricane Ike destroyed Hypolite and Jiles’ apartments where the two were next door neighbors.

Now the two are roommates and Foreman knows what it feels like to have children for the first time in his life.

Hypolite and Jiles share a room at Foreman’s place in Oakwood Village and one can only imagine how much football gets talked about on a nightly basis.

That could be a bad thing at times for Hypolite since Foreman is his position coach.

“If I get angry at practice, you don’t want to see your coach’s face all day,†Hypolite said. “I know I am going to hear about it all day.â€

Besides all the football, Jiles and Hypolite have been thrilled to stay at WO-S High School and are happy to have the opportunity to graduate as Mustangs.

“I am very happy because I had nowhere else to go,†Jiles said. “My family went to Pasadena and I wanted to stay and graduate at West Orange-Stark. At first Hypo and I were friends now it seems like we have become brothers.â€

Foreman seems to flock to taking care of the players during hurricane season.

When Hurricane Rita hit in 2005 Foreman was in charge of having all the players’ cell phone numbers and checking in on each of them.

Ike left eight varsity players without homes and two coaches, Foreman and head coach Dan Hooks.

Hypolite and Jiles were two of the players whose situation seemed the most uncertain so Foreman, who was apartment shopping at the time, asked around for a three bedroom place.

“I got a two bedroom and asked if they minded sharing a room,†Foreman said. “I knew how important it was for them to finish here and graduate from this high school.â€

It has been a change for Foreman having two high school seniors living in his apartment.

Foreman has never had children and never knew some of the difficulties he put his own parents through.

“Three or four days after we were settled in Hypo called and asked if it was OK they went to the mall,†Foreman said. “It took a few and then I realized they were asking permission. They are both great kids. They are both in the top quarter of their class and both are being recruited to go to college.

“I’ve never had children. After two weeks of them being here, I called and apologized to my mom. I never knew how much they can eat and I realized how much I probably ate when I was growing up.â€

Hypolite said several other people extended their hands to help the duo out and both are relieved Foreman stepped up to the plate.

“We are very appreciative,†Hypolite said. “There are not a lot of people who would let two kids live with them 24 hours a day.â€

Jiles said the two will have to one day find a way to thank Foreman enough for the opportunity he gave both the WO-S seniors.

“We constantly thank him for this,†Jiles added. If there was ever any way to repay him, we both would. Hopefully we repay him by getting a ring and then graduating.â€

Foreman said he has not been alone in taking care of Jiles and Hypolite.

“There is no possible way I could do this alone,†Foreman added. “We have had many coaches and teachers help out. Coach (Randy) Crouch’s Sunday school class at North Orange Baptist has really been helpful. Then if it was not for Robert, there would not be any meals cooked and the apartment would probably be dirty all the time. I know Hypo and I can’t do it so Rob takes over with that.â€

enyone that has watched  wo-s play this years first off see the mustangs come running out on the field and jump all over each other lol.after that the kids go to the end of the field and (pray ) for there teanmates to keep them safe ,coaches and fans.if you will look around in the stands you will see alot of other people praying with them . thats what you call familey THE FEW THE PROUD THE MUSTANGS

Now this is the true form of a coach. It isn't the wins, loses, wrong routes, bad snaps, missed tackles, or any of that. It is caring about the young men/women that you help through life. Life lessons!! Like it or not most coaches give to some kids what they don't get at home. Not saying these 2 young men fall into that category at all. Just that Coach Foreman fits that bill. KUDOS and a big thanks from me to him for being there for these young men! I am Vidor Pirate and don't have a horse in this race. Just good to hear of good news about a coach instead of the usual of bad play calling, poor coaching or anything else a coach goes through on the sidelines. I applaud you Gabe on putting this story out and showing the human side of a coach and not just the disciplinary that goes with being a coach. There are a ton of them out there that have this side but it is never talked about because mom and dad usually only talk about how little johnny is getting the shaft! My hat is off to you Coach Foreman. And to you Coach Hooks for having these type of coaches leading your young men into great young men!

GO WO-S GET THAT RING! Ike dropped the ball :-D now it's your turn to pick it up and run it back for a championship!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami