City of Jasper pursuing charges against person who burned bon fire

Guest rykerx144

Guest rykerx144

The city of Jasper is conducting a criminal investigation into the burning the bon fire.  It says they have interviewed several and are even offering a reward for information to help them convict the persons responsible.  So much for friendly rivalry!!

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=934155&CategoryID=18335&on=1

When I was in school, rivals would burn their schools letters in the center of our football fields and nothing was done about it.  Things never got badly out of hand though.  Things like that just made us want to beat them that Friday night.  Girls could also walk their boyfriend football player off the field after the game too.  Things do change.

Guest rykerx144

I realize times are changing and there is not anything you can do about that. My message is to the school administers, local officials, and all parents involved in the education process.  I know that changes have to be made to keep up with a economy that is growing at a fast pace. There has been a damand to mainstream these children into society and there has been a standard that has been put in place with TAKS that requires you to change the educational process.  However, if you take away these kids right to have a good time, you place them in uniforms, you limit there social exercises and you take away all the traditions (traditions that we have been telling them to expect to be the best time of their lives) then dont expect them to respond in a positive manner to your new ways.  If you are one of these officials and administrators then you have no right to complain about the lack of spirit and initiative that the kids have today.  You do not have the right to compare your experience growing up with theirs and criticize their actions.  These city officials that are trying to prosecute these kids for burning down the bonfire are probably the same kids that participated in burning down a bon fire when they were growing up.

I realize times are changing and there is not anything you can do about that. My message is to the school administers, local officials, and all parents involved in the education process.  I know that changes have to be made to keep up with a economy that is growing at a fast pace. There has been a damand to mainstream these children into society and there has been a standard that has been put in place with TAKS that requires you to change the educational process.  However, if you take away these kids right to have a good time, you place them in uniforms, you limit there social exercises and you take away all the traditions (traditions that we have been telling them to expect to be the best time of their lives) then dont expect them to respond in a positive manner to your new ways.  If you are one of these officials and administrators then you have no right to complain about the lack of spirit and initiative that the kids have today.  You do not have the right to compare your experience growing up with theirs and criticize their actions.  These city officials that are trying to prosecute these kids for burning down the bonfire are probably the same kids that participated in burning down a bon fire when they were growing up.

You've trully hit the nail on the head, well thought and well said. Killing students spirits, traditions and pride is not a healthy answer.

;D

;D  they probably had THEIR bonfires burned and are still mad ;D ;D

You've trully hit the nail on the head, well thought and well said. Killing students spirits, traditions and pride is not a healthy answer.

Kids doing damage to other school's property is spirit and tradition? I went to school over 30 years ago but I must have missed that part of tradition.

Guest rykerx144

Would you be saying the same thing if the fire had spread, there was no fire department there.  The bon fire is next to the school.  or did they have the fire department on call just in case it spread?  Being smart I think thats what they did.

"what if" they didnt burn it down and Jasper had the bon fire as scheduled and it fell while they was trying to build it and killed 10 kids?  I think that did happen a few years ago at a college right?  How many bon fires have been burnt by others school over the last 50 years and have you ever heard of what you described happening? We can debate this topic all day using "what if's" but the fact is that is not what happened!  Im not saying that it wasnt dangerous and maybe bon fires need to be got rid of.  Im not saying we sholdnt cancel bonfires for safety, or we shouldnt prosecute kids for burning them down, I was just making a point that if we contiune to take away from these kids the things that we had when we was growing up and they have heard their whole life us bragging about it how it was the best time of our life and they should expect the same and then its taken away, then dont be surprised when a kid would rather stay home and play a war craft game on a computer rather than attend a school function.

.................. then dont be surprised when a kid would rather stay home and play a war craft game on a computer rather than attend a school function.

That is probably true already.

Bonfires are great. Damaging other people's property in the name of school spirit is not.

I don't see how you equate destroying someone elses property or messing up their tradition with deciding to stay home and play a video game. In this case, it looks it would have been better if they stayed home and played the video.

I think the city of Jasper and all of you are blowing this way out of proportion!!! I have to agree with Rykerx144 on this one. I'm sorry, but bonfires have been getting burned down for years by other teams. Thats just part of it. There was no vandalism. You act like these kids went into Jasper High School and vandalised the actual school. That didnt happen. Come on. They burnt down the Bon Fire!! BIG DEAL! "Lets prosecute"...how sad. 

at this time, according to KJAS radio in Jasper, the investigation points to one individual who is a former student at Jasper High School, not any one from any other schools.

Well I dont understand why he would do that to his own alma mater! How stupid! I could honestly see if it were someone from the team they were going to be playing that week, but someone from your own town..now thats sad..LOL

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• Starting pitching has been shaky the last few weeks due to some injuries outside of Hagen Smith.  He goes tomorrow, so y’all should be fine 
    • Manchin may get it but any mention of the radical left that wanted to get rid of the filibuster and end almost 220 years of history because the Democrats are mad?  The House and Senate are obviously different legislative bodies with entirely different election processes and rules for a reason. The House can vote on laws with a simple majority vote. The Senate put rules in place that it would make it much tougher to pass laws. Laws should be difficult to pass. The Senate is often the holdup of the right and left. It takes 60 votes to break the filibuster so any law will almost certainly require agreement at least in part, from opposing sides of an issue. Because they can’t get laws passed, the radical left is like a baby having a tantrum and wants to change over 200 years of history and make it potentially ridiculously easy to pass laws. I have seen current poll maps and it is possible for the Republicans to sweep into complete power in November but by the tiniest margin. That would possibly mean that a single vote margin in both houses could enact what you might call the radical right laws. There would be nothing that the Democrats could do to stop any legislation whatsoever if the left (they are all radical, minus Manchin) got their filibuster rule changed.  That is where the current filibuster comes into play as any new law would require several Democrats to agree with the majority Republicans and vice versa.  Do you want the potential for your radical right to have free rein as the radical left wants by killing the filibuster or is the radical left just as (if not more) dangerous? Let’s see if we have a history in this area? Oh yeah, the Democrats changed the rules in the Senate to allow federal judges to not have to overcome the filibuster. Obama was not getting his federal judge nominations passed and being angry, they changed the rules instead of nominating more moderate justices. They were warned that it would come back to bite them. They didn’t care and chose the nuclear option to change the rules. Oops! Any guess how Trump got all of his Supreme Court nominees passed against strong Democrat opposition? The Democrats got rid of the filibuster for federal judges after another tantrum   So when you are so worried about the radical right, are you equally concerned in what the radical left is always doing by changing rules and history which were put into place just for situations like we are in? So while Manchin gets it, what about his other 50 colleagues (49 + Harris)?  What concerns you more, Abbott and Paxton or the Democrats who want to make it to where if the Republicans do take over, they can go wild… at least in your mind? 
    • MODS please remove that ISD twitter link! I had no idea it would copy the whole posting. I only highlighted the portion about the venue change. Sorry about that!
    • See why I don't trust my Hogs?
    • Come on dude, don’t take anything away from the kids on the field. If you want to talk uncharacteristic, we made what 3 or 4 errors in game one. Y’all had 2 EARNED runs.  Defense is normally our strong suit. Your ace didn’t strike out a single one of our kids. Like I said also, you did not out hit us in game 1. Hell you barley out hit us in game 2. We had all the uncharacteristic walks. Josh pitched a hell of a game is what made that game what it was.
  • Topics