Best Coach in the Area

What team has the Best Coach in the Area?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. What team has the Best Coach in the Area?

• WB
    • Nederland
    • WO S
    • Lumberton
    • Other Schools

I don't know cougar2020....Look at the athletes Tom Osborne had at Nebraska for years...He won...Then, he leaves and Nebraska begins a downslide that is just now starting to level out a little...the losing began with Osborne's recruits...Guess Tom just did a bad job of recruiting his last few years there...Or, maybe he was a talented coach...Who knows?

The question was who is the best coach in the area...there were no attachments to that question...When presented with that question, the best resource I have is the past 20 years of stats to work with. In that time frame, Dan Hooks (like him or not and I don't like him) has the highest winning percentage of any other coach in the State of Texas...Now, if that's due to his staff, then I would have to throw in that ole' Dan must also have a knack for surrounding himself with the right folks (also part of being a good coach).

It doesn't matter how much talent you have if you can't coach it. I believe I have perfect examples of this.

Central and Ozen...some of the best talent in the area...hardly ever produce great teams...must be a lack of coaching right???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said he was in the Hooks catagory as far as all time great but I think that he shouldnt be overlooked considering the people that are on the list. But look at the athletes that come out of WOS and Newton. Those are 2 schools that are bigger schools for their divison and have plenty of athletes. Gerry Hamilton from rivals did a piece over WOS and he broke down the prospects on their team and he ended up with 5 future D1 prospects and 1 D1AA prospect.

Lumberton is a tough place to be a coach but the guys over there have really done a great job getting that place to where its at but if your gonna ignore that then apparently that skull of yours is really thick.

You must know my wife, she claims the same thing about my skull. ;D (btw, my wife teaches in Lumberton)

I have the up most respect for Coach C and what he has done there at Lumberton. Personally don't think anyone else could have done such a good job in such a short time. He is definetly the right man for that school. I still say that you can't put him amongst the best ones just yet, but he'll be there in time.

Knowing all the before mentioned coaches personally, and working with some of them, I believe that Alvin is a great coach and I knew that when he was at PNG. BUT to put him in the category as the other guys will take a few years. He has done a remarkable job with Lumberton so far and I wish him the best of luck. One thing about him that is better than most is that he does a great job game planning and utilizing his kids to the maxim of their ability. And he will do all of this with out any Franks' brothers, a Anthony Byerly, or a Micah Mosley. Who knows...maybe he will produce a big name we will all remember for a LONG time.

Lumberton is also one of the smallest 4A schools in the state and considering battling the old losing tradition I dont see how you can overlook Creadur and the staff at Lumberton.

I think it's a bit early to be putting Coach C in with the Hooks, Neumans and the Barbays. Give him a few more years and then I think it would be a fair assessment. Right now, it's okay to overlook him.

Very much agree.

The Lumberton coach deserves some props. He has that program headed in the right direction.

He does deserve some props but not as the best coach in the area. You have to have history of winning to become the best coach. One year won't do it. He may be there in a few years.

Barbay and Hooks are on top of the pedestal.

Neuman from Nederland has taken a team that was bad for decades and has made them a playoff team year in and year out.  Being from PN-G, not much of (no where nears) a Bulldog fan, but I know how much Neuman would love to get an outright district championship.  BIG GAME FRIDAY for the Bulldogs.

Burnett has done something Neuman hasn't, he has gotten his team to the state title game, but in head to head competition, Neuman has the edge.

Like to say something about the Dayton coaches.

The high school coaches are at EVERY Tuesday Junior High game.

They now ALL the junior high players by the time they are in high school.

That is really not "doable" in PN-G and Nederland with two junior highs.

The junior high coaching staff in Dayton is the tops in the area.

They keep on producing kids that get used to winning.  It is simply amazing the talent pool that Dayton has been in over the last decade, and they have a stellar group of 8th graders this year (probably the deepest speed wise group of kids since Stewart has been here).

Coach Stewart has taken over a program here in Dayton and is developing a tradition of winning that will be here long after he leaves.  He has really redone the whole football program over, from 7th to 12th grade and his impact on the young men of Dayton can not be overestimated.  Growing up in Port Neches during the 70's was simply amazing.  PN-G raises their kids to be Indians and that kind of attitude is now taking hold in Dayton.

Dayton is in no man's land between Beaumont and Houston, but if you include Dayton in with the Beaumont schools, Stewart has to be in at least the top 10.

ps....

Many of the Dayton fans sure do miss the enthusiastic crowds on the away games.

20-4A is what high school football is all about.

It may not have produced a state champion in decades, but the passion the communities have for their schools is not found anywhere else around here.

the athletes do help tremendously but its not like kids from WOS come out playin football dan hooks must have something going for him and his staff

Yea they dont start till their about 8.

Actually they start playing flag at 5 years old, I think.

Hooks, hands down.  The numbers don't lie!

To the guy that said Hooks was at a larger school in it's classification and had an advantage, then how do you downplay the fact that he has won and taken WOS to state titles at 5A and 4A before they dropped to 3A. In 2000 WOS was one of the smallest 4A in the state and lost to Ennis in the title game. That says alot about his ability to assemble great coaching staffs and get the most out of his talent.

Also, look at Dan Ray's record against Neuman and Stewart recently!

P.S. As an opposing fan, I hate Dan Ray Hooks, but I respect the heck out of him and would love to have him coaching my favorite team. ;D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BIG HOUSE

I will not say that Coach Credeur is the best or one of the best, YET...But after losing 30 SENIORS from last years AREA CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM he and his staff have done a GREAT JOB......NO DOUBT---COACH OF THE YEAR......

Guest Its_All_About_Tha_U

I will not say that Coach Credeur is the best or one of the best, YET...But after losing 30 SENIORS from last years AREA CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM he and his staff have done a GREAT JOB......NO DOUBT---COACH OF THE YEAR......

He should have received Coach of The Year last year but was jipped.

the athletes do help tremendously but its not like kids from WOS come out playin football dan hooks must have something going for him and his staff

Its called RECRUITING...LOLOLOL you know he does it!!! Say what you want...but I know he has went out and got kids to come to WOS..BARBAY TOO!!! There's no way you can have that many years worth of GREAT TALENT, without having some sort of bad years..LOL Every team has good and bad..look at PN-G. Thats proof right there..PN-G has an awesome coaching staff, but obviously they are lacking in the talent area. IMO!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami