Jasper's 1-2 punch Spikes and Bailey puts 7-on-7 title within it's grasp

COLLEGE STATION - Dominique Bailey and Kwame Spikes thought these days would never come.

As 4-year-olds playing backyard football in the shadows of the East Texas timberlands, they dreamed about playing together on the Jasper varsity football team as quarterback and wide receiver.

That dream became reality last season - Bailey the quarterback and Spikes the receiver - but few days were as enjoyable as Thursday.

Much like they did during so many of those backyard games, Bailey and Spikes connected with each other for several touchdowns in the 7-on-7 football state tournament at Texas A&M University's Penberthy Field.

In the process, they helped Jasper become the only Southeast Texas squad to keep alive its championship hopes in the tournament's 32-team small schools division.

The Bulldogs will face Navasota at 8:30 a.m. today in the second round. The championship is noon at Kyle Field. Jasper must win three games to reach the final.

"We talked all the time about playing together," recalled Spikes, a 5-foot-7 senior who caught nine of the 14 touchdown passes thrown by Bailey - his first cousin - in the last two of Jasper's four 40-minute games Thursday. "We thought the day would never come."

Jasper's last two games, one a 41-20 victory against Kirbyville and the other a 56-26 victory against Iraan, looked a lot sharper than the Bulldogs' first two contests. They lost their first 26-14 against Bandera and won the second 28-27 against Brownwood.

Much of that turnaround came thanks to Bailey's improved play, as the wobbly passes that got intercepted in the first game were replaced by tight spirals in the last two games. A handful of those passes went for more than 30 yards to Spikes in the end zone.

"I think he started relaxing and feeling more comfortable and not feeling the pressure," said Jasper coach Thomas Brooks, who - like most coaches - watched his team from beyond the end zone, as University Interscholastic Rules prohibit coaches from having contact with players in game settings before practices begin Aug. 4.

"I've told him, 'If you're going to be in the playoffs, you have to be able to handle pressure, so you have to relax and just play football.'"

Bailey, considered a running-style quarterback, said he felt comfortable after the first game.

"I was throwing against the wind, so I was nervous," Bailey said of the first game. "I'm over it now."

Jasper was one of three Southeast Texas teams in the tournament. The others, Kirbyville and Hardin, lost overtime games in the first round of bracket play. All told, Hardin won once in four games and Kirbyville won none of four games.

Also playing today is West Brook. The Bruins are in the 64-team big schools division and will play three games beginning at 1 p.m.

Although the games resemble touch football more than the full contact, 11-on-11 version, Brooks said there is significance in winning at this tournament.

"We want to compete, and anything we're competing in and they're keeping score, we want to win," Brooks said. "That's what we try to get them used to - winning - in anything we do, no matter what. That's the goal."

i play with kwame and dominique (spikes and Bailey) and i tell you these guys are two of the funnest guys to be around, they are both tremendous athletes and have a attitude for winning. when one is clicking it seems like the rest of the team is. big things for us next year!!!

Well its good to know that these two young players have a attitude for winning and I am very sure Coach Brooks appreciate all the hard work these two guys and other players on the team has put forth for the upcoming season. Good luck Jasper for this upcoming season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83