Pigskin Preview BH, Sterling, REL

Coaches enjoy ribbing at Pigskin Preview

By Doyle Barlow

Baytown Sun

Published August 5, 2006

BAYTOWN — These guys sure put the “barb†in barbecue.

Even though the coaching staffs from Sterling, Lee and Barbers Hill were at Cedar Bayou Methodist Church Friday night for the annual Pigskin Preview, they still managed to mix in some good-natured ribbing with all the football talk.

Barbers Hill assistant coach Jamey Horn fired the first shot, as he explained why defensive coordinator Jackie Byrd was absent.

“Most people don’t know this, but Jackie has a lucrative modeling career that takes him to New York and Los Angeles. And this is an example of some of his work,†Horn said, holding up a T-shirt with the picture of a face resembling a wrinkled prune who smoked in a tanning bed on it. Horn added the six defensive coaches at Barbers Hill had 165 combined years of experience, so that the T-shirt was actually adopted as the mascot for the entire staff.

REL head coach Dick Olin also got in a couple of jabs. The first was at emcee Mike Finley, who introduced him.

“Mike Finley says he’s known this guy for a few years but he can’t remember his first name,†said Olin, pointing at Barbers Hill offensive coordinator Bryan Price. “But he can remember our record (1-7) from a year ago.â€

Olin also ribbed assistant coach David Hackney.

“We had our first meeting with Tom Ed (Gooden, Goose Creek, A.D.) today and he was talking about how you never really have anything to show for the meal money you spend,†Olin said. “Hack, stand up. You’re living proof of something to show for meal money.â€

Sterling offensive coordinator Craig Simmons had some fun talking about the youth of some of the Rangers’ assistants.

“I told them I was 50 and one of them said that’s how old is dad is,†Simmons said. “Oh well, I know I look a lot better than Olin.â€

In between the barbs, the coaches also managed to talk some football. Barbers Hill offensive coordinator Bryan Price, who was subbing for head coach Don Price, was candid about the Eagles jump to Class 4A.

“We’ve had a great deal of success in 3A and we recognize this will be a challenge,†Price said. “But we have 33 seniors — the most we’ve ever had — and we return to starters on defense and four on offense.

“Our keys will be getting Blake (Patton) comfortable at quarterback and rebuilding our offensive line, but we’ve got some good prospects there.â€

Olin praised the addition of a fourth playoff team from each district.

“It’s always good when you get more teams involved,†Olin said. “That means that each week there’s always something you’re playing for.â€

Sterling head coach Herb Minyard was candid as he talked about relinquishing the defensive coordinator duties and hiring Chad Haynes from Bacone College in Muskogee, Okla. to take over the defense.

“I’ve always called defenses so I thought I was the best defensive coordinator there was,†Minyard said. “But when I interviewed Chad I asked him to show me the defenses we were going to run at Sterling High School. About 24 hours later we got through and he left for Oklahoma. I called him and offered him the job and he accepted somewhere north of Dallas.â€

Sterling outside linebacker coach Tim Lumpkin also had praise for Haynes.

“He’s brought a lot of enthusiasm and energy and we’re excited,†Lumpkin said as he smiled and glanced toward Minyard. “Not that coach Minyard was a bad defensive coordinator…â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami