Fontenot inks with Lamar State-Port Arthur

Fontenot inks with Lamar State-Port Arthur

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun

Published June 19, 2008

A long, arduous recruiting process has come to a close for Sterling graduate Adrian Fontenot.

The two-time first-team 21-5A all-district selection has signed a letter of intent with Lamar State College-Port Arthur. The Seahawk basketball team went 13-15 last season and will compete in Region XIV next season.

“There were a lot of schools that called, but nobody offered,†Fontenot said. “When Lamar State put it on the table, I went ahead and ran with it. I know the area and I have family there.

“Hard work pays off, it is just a blessing from God that I am able to play college basketball. I know it is going to pay off.â€

Fontenot was a member of the varsity for four years at Sterling and was the runner-up in District 21-5A MVP voting after averaging 17.6 points and 8.9 rebounds per game.

At 6-6, he is projected to see time at small forward and power forward under new head coach Jerre Cole.

Cole was an assistant coach at Garden City (Kans.) Community College before taking the Lamar State job.

“Coach Cole told him that he was a three/four tweener, but by the time that he leaves he will be a three,†Sterling head coach Mark Patton said.

“They have moved from a Division-3 school to a D-1 school overnight. Their facility was a major selling point after playing in our bandbox back there. It was definitely an eye-opening presentation.â€

Another selling point was Fontenot’s ability to step into a contributing role as a freshman. Last season, the Seahawks were vertically challenged and have made adding height a prerequisite as they prepare for the rigors of Region XIV basketball against the likes of Lee College, San Jacinto College and Paris Junior College.

“I knew there was a good chance that I could come in and start as a freshman,†Fontenot said. “So I’m just looking forward to going in there and doing some new things.

“They play a lot of big schools; San Jac is one of the top schools in the country. It’s a tough league and I think my recruiting will take off. I have the ability to take it to the next level and I am excited about what lies down the road.â€

Fontenot plans on pursuing an associate’s degree in business administration with the intention of owning his own business some day. This summer he has been in the gym, lifting weights and working on his conditioning as he prepares for Lamar State’s full-court style of play.

“I need to work on my mid-range jumper,†Fontenot said. “It wasn’t that hard in high school. I was able to blow by players and bully players, but it will be more difficult in college.â€

Patton feels that Fontenot will be able to make the transition to the college game and excel.

“He’s a fantastic player, a dominant player,†Patton said. “He stacks up there with the players I have coached at Sterling.

“I haven’t really seen the likes of Adrian. I’ve enjoyed having him, he did everything that I asked him to do and he was a leader. I hate to see him go.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed