Lamar at OU in 2010?

I can tell already I'll be posting this same response on numerous threads...

The earliest Lamar would play an FBS is 2011. It comes down to counting as a 'counter'. This means you average a set amount of scholarships (which I believe is like 50 something) over a two year period. UCA could not play an FBS til last year (it was their second year of having 63 scholarships).

A school would be stupid to play a game against a team that did not count towards bowl eligibility. The only time it has ever happened was Central Connecticut against Western Michigan last year. Schools like Texas Tech play two FCS programs a year, but they are both counters, that go towards bowl eligibility.

Billy Tubbs may be able to work magic with the SLC, but he can't at the NCAA level when it comes to rules and regulations

Guest coachacola

Playing a powerhouse FBS school doesn't make much sense for any FCS school, much less a walk-on loaded LU team.  Appy State pulled it off against Michigan, but they're a FCS dynasty and they caught Michigan at the right time.  Let's wait 10 years then talk about OU.

Keep in mind that SHSU has in the last five years played Texas and Texas Tech. McNeese and SHSU have also played A&M in the past.

Oklahoma is one of the few FBS institutions that has not played an FCS. That will change this year when they play the Mocs of Tennessee-Chattanooga. That happened due to them getting caught up in schedule politics ("the business"). SHSU ended up on the Texas schedule when they got down to #70 on their list. They didn't want to. I doubt we'll see Texas and Oklahoma play too many FBS schools. A&M and Tech on the otherhand are willing to do.

FYI -- Houston is not interested in playing SLC teams. They realize they have a better chance at the win and a better chance at filling seats when playing the SWAC. After playing SHSU, they've played Grambling, Texas Southern and this year, Southern.

Ultimately, Lamar needs to become a "counter" first. Then, they can talk FBS foes. That's 2011. Bet most FBS teams would love a second-year Lamar program that's an upstart...

Tulsa maybe. OU. No way.

Tulsa would hang 65 or 70 on Lamar.

Tulsa should put up about the same on UNT. We'll see this year.

With that idiot HS defensive coordinator Dodge brought in last year, no doubt TU could hand that many on NT.  However, we have our old DC back(from UCLA) so we should see some improvement.  Probably not near enough to beat Tulsa.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder