BRONSON IN THE 11TH

Very good!  Congratulations Bronson!  Pure raw skill, just waiting to be molded.  :)

Bronson has something that cannot be taught, world class speed and quick reflexes.  :)  Plus he is a good person to boot.  Hard to find all these qualities in the same person.

Very good!  Congratulations Bronson!  Pure raw skill, just waiting to be molded.   :)

Bronson has something that cannot be taught, world class speed and quick reflexes.   :)  Plus he is a good person to boot.  Hard to find all these qualities in the same person.

Congrats Malcolm.

Now j_dog, I think stating he has world class speed is a bit over the top, don't you think? He has great speed, not world class.

Very good!  Congratulations Bronson!  Pure raw skill, just waiting to be molded.   :)

Bronson has something that cannot be taught, world class speed and quick reflexes.   :)  Plus he is a good person to boot.  Hard to find all these qualities in the same person.

Congrats Malcolm.

Now j_dog, I think stating he has world class speed is a bit over the top, don't you think? He has great speed, not world class.

Now we will never know will we?  He did not run track.  But some of his relatives who did run track were world class, without question.  A cousin, and an uncle were on the first hs 400m relay to go under 40 seconds (hand held).  And that national record lasted for six years.  And the cousin ran in the Atlanta Olympics in the hurdles.  I have watched Malcolm run bases for three years.  And I have seen him do some amazing things.  Just an opinion true, but no, I really do not think it is over the top.  But perhaps you are right.  He is still a winner.

Congrats Malcolm.

Now we will never know will we?  He did not run track.  But some of his relatives who did run track were world class, without question.  A cousin, and an uncle were on the first hs 400m relay to go under 40 seconds (hand held).  And that national record lasted for six years.  And the cousin ran in the Atlanta Olympics in the hurdles.  I have watched Malcolm run bases for three years.  And I have seen him do some amazing things.  Just an opinion true, but no, I really do not think it is over the top.  But perhaps you are right.  He is still a winner.

I never questioned him being a winner or not or his athletic ability. Obviously our opinions on "world class" are different. Also, yes I know what his relatives did, but that doesn't make him have world class speed. I have seen him on the football and baseball fields, he is very fast. But only the rare few have world class speed, I don't consider him to be one.

Congrats Malcolm.

I never questioned him being a winner or not or his athletic ability. Obviously our opinions on "world class" are different. Also, yes I know what his relatives did, but that doesn't make him have world class speed. I have seen him on the football and baseball fields, he is very fast. But only the rare few have world class speed, I don't consider him to be one.

What this whole conversation boils down too, is that this kid made it to the next level. With whatever speed and smarts he has, it shows that he love the game.  Congrats  Malcolm ,I wish you luck

He has a tough decision to make.  If he goes to McNeese he will probably play DB under his uncle (one of their defensive coaches), who played DB eight years for the 49ers.

I think, bottom line, is that he loves both sports.  My guess is that he leans toward baseball though.  As I understand it, he could try professional baseball, and if that does not work could still come back and do college football.  I remember A&M once had a QB who did just that.  I think his name was Murray.

He has a tough decision to make.  If he goes to McNeese he will probably play DB under his uncle (one of their defensive coaches), who played DB eight years for the 49ers.

I think, bottom line, is that he loves both sports.  My guess is that he leans toward baseball though.  As I understand it, he could try professional baseball, and if that does not work could still come back and do college football.  I remember A&M once had a QB who did just that.  I think his name was Murray.

There are a few college football players that have done exactly that. Chris Weinke-FSU and Quan Cosby-Texas come to mind...and Kevin Murray -Texas A& M. If I remember correctly, Weinke was 24 years old and playing QB for Florida State. He also had a million $$$ in the bank from investing his signing bonus in real estate, etc. A reporter once asked Weinke if it was a big adjustment playing with guys much younger and who had no money. Weinke responded that the only difference was..."after practice my teamates drink beer and I have steak w/ some wine. "  ;D ;D ;D

The comments about athletes playing pro baseball and college football remind me of a little trivia question. Who was the last non-scholarship player to win the Heisman trophy?

You got me....I give.

Actually, it's pretty recent. The baseball/football connection is a big hint.

I'll give it some more time.

Guest bballdude

my take on it is you can always go back to college. go to the bigs while the offers are there. You have to think about the "What if's.'' That would be a terrible feeling to get injured in college and have all the interest from the MLB go away. But also there are the good things that could come. More money, higher round. Tough decision.

The answer to the trivia:  The last non-scholarship player to win the Heisman Trophy was Ricky Williams of Texas. He signed a minor league contract with the Phillies and in the contract, they paid for his college. Texas never had to claim him on the scholarship list in the 4 years Williams was there.

MLB mite still have the college offer after playing but a player would have to reach AA ball, they have a list of each D1 and the amount MBL will pay for whatever is chosen and is worked into the contract, 11th rnd will most probally be under 6 figures more like 40-75,000 and 875 per month for a first yr player. Some people put the desire to play over money, the "IFs' have been mentioned and too are a great concern, I still wonder what would have happened in our case >>>>IF<<<<Whatever his decision he WAS a 11th rnd pick and best of luck....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami