Roster named for US friendly against Spain

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Dominic Cervi (no club), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton, England)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (no club), Dan Califf (Midtjylland, Denmark), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock, Germany)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Benfica, Portugal), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Maurice Edu (Toronto), Eddie Lewis (Derby, England), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado)

Forwards: Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Nate Jaqua (no club), Eddie Johnson (Fulham, England), Josh Wolff (no club)

Jozie should be there instead of Jaqua and Wolff.  He's young enough that this experience will be beneficial to his international career in the future.  I'd also like to see twellman get a shot.  He's fast, and can create his own chances.  It seems like the US is set on having these big boheomeths up front due to the past success of Brian McBride.  Nate Jaqua is no Brian McBride (and neither is Brian Ching, for that matter).  I don't think anyone thinks Jaqua has a future on USMNT, and Wolff is still terrible.  It's weird because I get excited about the United States' future in mens soccer, and then we play Spain and I see Dan Califf, Frankie Hejduk, Eddie Lewis, Pablo Mastroeni, Nate Jaqua, Eddie Johnson, and Josh Wolff in the lineup.  There are a few young guys on the team who I'm looking forward to seeing, and who need the experience.  I don't understand why we keep trotting out our "experienced" players in friendlies when they aren't even better than the younger players that are "below" them that need the game time. 

Even if Spain "experiments" with their line-up, I see Bunker Bob and Co. getting abused.  I think it might get embarrasing at times.  I still think we can get a goal off a set piece or counter, but I wouldn't be surprised at a 4-1 scoreline. 

The US is just not that good.  I would consider the Yanks one of the better Third Tier teams of the world.  The CONCALaugh is waaay behind Europe and South America, and probaly behind Africa at his point.  I don't even think the US would make it out of the group stage of EURO '08.

I think Project 2010 might be off by about 8 to 12 years...

Unless the US looks good today, then I will edit this post accordingly!

starting lineup...

1 Tim Howard (G)

6 Steve Cherundolo (D)

22 Oguchi Onyewu (D)

3 Carlos Bocanegra (D)

12 Heath Pearce (D)

11 Eddie Lewis (M)

26 Maurice Edu (M)

19 Freddy Adu (M)

8 Clint Dempsey (F)

4 Michael Bradley (F)

9 Eddie Johnson (F)