Floppers to be fined next season

The NBA announced to its teams this week at its annual pre-draft camp that fines will be imposed on players starting next season for clear cases of "flopping," ESPN.com has learned.

The league office has yet to determine exact fine amounts for offending flops and how fines might escalate for repeat offenders, but in-game arena observers and video reviewers will be instructed to report instances of theatrical flopping for potential punishment as part of postgame reports on officiating and other matters.

The league's pledge to crack down on flopping was conveyed to team representatives at Tuesday's competition committee meeting in Orlando.

NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson confirmed the new policy Wednesday night saying: "What was clearly expressed to the committee is that we would begin imposing fines next season for the most egregious type of flops. When players are taking a dive, for lack of a better term."

Because a precise penalty system has not yet been structured, it is not yet known whether serial floppers will be subject to possible suspensions after a certain number of fines for flopping, as seen with the league's protocol on technical fouls. Players who accrue 16 technicals during the regular season are hit with a one-game suspension when they get to No. 16 -- the limit is seven technicals during the playoffs -- and receive one-game suspensions for every other technical thereafter (No. 18, 20, etc.).

Detroit's Rasheed Wallace, a player who has 15 technicals this season and has been suspended in the past for being over the limit for technicals, gave his opinion of floppers to ESPN after the Pistons' 106-102 loss to the Boston Celtics in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals on Wednesday.

"All that bull[expletive]-ass calls they had out there. With Mike [Callahan] and Kenny [Mauer] -- you've all seen that [expletive]," Wallace said. "You saw them calls. The cats are flopping all over the floor and they're calling that [expletive]. That [expletive] ain't basketball out there. It's all [expletive] entertainment. You all should know that [expletive]. It's all [expletive] entertainment."

there are a few players in the league (Anderson Varejao, for example), who go flying backwards every time someone bumps into them.  this will keep the good actors in the NBA from getting stars in foul trouble all the time.  Soccer has implemented a similar rule for diving, or simulation, where someone pretending to be fouled in the box gets a yellow card.

Flop artists in order:

1. Ginobili - This dude flops every time time I see a Spurs game.

2. Scola - I guess this is because I don't miss a Rockets game.  Even though this is good for my team,  Luis flops just as much as these other guys.

3. Battier- U guess you can say he has good defense.  I sometimes wonder how he always ends up on his dairy-air.

4. Fisher - I sware, this guy really urks me when he flops. 

5. Bowen - He gets away with this because he is a great defender.  He flops for no reason also.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder