LU coaching news from Bob West

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

From Sunday's Bob West Column:

If all goes well when Lamar University president Dr. Jimmy Simmons meets with his board of regents the latter part of this week, an announcement on a football coach shouldn’t be far behind. The top three candidates, according to my sources, are Navarro JC head coach Ray Woodard, West Brook head coach Craig Stump and former North Texas offensive coordinator Ramone Flanagan. Woodard, who was a teammate of Todd Dodge at the University of Texas, seems to have the inside track to getting the job.

Looks like this will be the week when we finally learn who the new coach will be.

Cardinal basketball coach Steve Roccaforte is looking for two assistants for next season. Brandon Aldrich left a few weeks ago to take a job outside coaching and Don Skelton was announced Friday as the new head coach at Jones Junior College in Ellisville, Miss. While Skelton will certainly be missed, there is an upside to having him back in the Mississippi JC ranks that have been such a productive pipeline for Roc and the Cardinals.

Who will Roc hire?

Full article: http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_131201836.html?keyword=topstory

From Sunday's Bob West Column:

If all goes well when Lamar University president Dr. Jimmy Simmons meets with his board of regents the latter part of this week, an announcement on a football coach shouldn’t be far behind. The top three candidates, according to my sources, are Navarro JC head coach Ray Woodard, West Brook head coach Craig Stump and former North Texas offensive coordinator Ramone Flanagan. Woodard, who was a teammate of Todd Dodge at the University of Texas, seems to have the inside track to getting the job.

Looks like this will be the week when we finally learn who the new coach will be.

Cardinal basketball coach Steve Roccaforte is looking for two assistants for next season. Brandon Aldrich left a few weeks ago to take a job outside coaching and Don Skelton was announced Friday as the new head coach at Jones Junior College in Ellisville, Miss. While Skelton will certainly be missed, there is an upside to having him back in the Mississippi JC ranks that have been such a productive pipeline for Roc and the Cardinals.

Who will Roc hire?

I think Tic Price would be a great replacement.

Ramone Flanagan would be an absolute disaster for Lamar.  During halftime at a game a few years ago, when NT was showing absolutely no offense, and the coaches were coming down from the pressbox (NT has no elevator), an upset fan made comment for all to hear about the sluggish offense.  Your man Flanagan turned around and went after the fan.  Really classy for a D1A coach to do that type of thing.  Good coaches have to learn to take the heat.

Sorry, I'm not impressed with Lamar's list of candidates.

Ramone Flanagan would be an absolute disaster for Lamar.  During halftime at a game a few years ago, when NT was showing absolutely no offense, and the coaches were coming down from the pressbox (NT has no elevator), an upset fan made comment for all to hear about the sluggish offense.  Your man Flanagan turned around and went after the fan.  Really classy for a D1A coach to do that type of thing.  Good coaches have to learn to take the heat.

Sorry, I'm not impressed with Lamar's list of candidates.

I'm not impressed either. At leave not for a start-up head coach. Stump or Woodard would be excellent OC and DC, then taking over as HC

in the future. Lamar needs that shock N aWWW coach to start the program.

Guest coachacola

This supposedly happened in 2006:

During halftime of the game, offensive coordinator Ramon Flanagan allegedly started a physical fight with wide receivers Coach Chip Garber after being told he should play seniors because it was their final home game. The incident got so out of hand the offense received no instruction before going back out to start the third quarter.

When I google his name that's all I find on him, and that he played for June Jones, the new coach at SMU.  What has he done to merit a job as LU's new head coach?

As far as Stump and Woodard is concerned, maybe Tubbs is thinking these guys are young and can create recruit, so they'll be around for a while and can bring in quality players.  I don't think Lamar is offering the money to bring in a name coach that can "shock N aWWW".

This supposedly happened in 2006:

During halftime of the game, offensive coordinator Ramon Flanagan allegedly started a physical fight with wide receivers Coach Chip Garber after being told he should play seniors because it was their final home game. The incident got so out of hand the offense received no instruction before going back out to start the third quarter.

When I google his name that's all I find on him, and that he played for June Jones, the new coach at SMU.  What has he done to merit a job as LU's new head coach?

As far as Stump and Woodard is concerned, maybe Tubbs is thinking these guys are young and can create recruit, so they'll be around for a while and can bring in quality players.  I don't think Lamar is offering the money to bring in a name coach that can "shock N aWWW".

Yeah, a pity they are not. I would fund raise $5 million, then offer a 5 years contract to a big name.

Not a bad idea UNLV.  I bet we would have a whole lot better list of candidates.  I'm not saying anything is wrong with Stump or Woodard.  With that kind of money, we might be able to lure UNLV's dream coach out of South Florida, JJ. :D

I doubt its money keeping JJ away, more like ego. I'm too big for Lamar. He will regret when he retires from Fox.

Guest tigersvoice

Not a bad idea UNLV.  I bet we would have a whole lot better list of candidates.  I'm not saying anything is wrong with Stump or Woodard.  With that kind of money, we might be able to lure UNLV's dream coach out of South Florida, JJ. :D

I doubt its money keeping JJ away, more like ego. I'm too big for Lamar. He will regret when he retires from Fox.

UNLV, I can't determine if you are serious about this JJ thing or not?

UNLV, I can't determine if you are serious about this JJ thing or not?

No, I don't think JJ is coming.

Think little = be little. Guys it all starts with the coach. If he cannot generate some fire this thing will not get off the ground. I am not impressed with some of these names. I hope and pray we are headed in the right direction with football. We SHOULD be naming a coach soon I hope.  >:(

Guest mffl

This is ridiculous... Ramone Flanagan?!? What will he do? I would rather them just name a coach already... They are supposedly going to name one sometime this week. We'll just have to see if it is true.

Guest Ozen

I don't mean to be negative but this is typical Lamar on something. Hell Stump is the best out of all these choices. Dang man i'm not surprised at all about this crap.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami