Lamar Head Football Coach

Anybody heard if the head coaching job has been narrowed down or who the front runners are? I would like to see someone from this area with some college coaching exp get the job. We need someone who will be willing to stay and build a program and can recruit from this area. Craig Stump or Ben Norton, IMO should be heading up the list. What does everyone else think?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A high profile coach who knows how to build a program is what we need... who is ben norton?

Ben Norton would be the best hire if you want someone that knows how to win in the SLC...

Time at SHSU, McNeese and now at Texas State - San Marcos. Graduate of SFA.

Vidor native. Recruits Golden Triangle.

Would love nothing more than to coach at Lamar.

This is the hidden content, please

A high profile coach who knows how to build a program is what we need... who is ben norton?

Ben Norton would be the best hire if you want someone that knows how to win in the SLC...

Time at SHSU, McNeese and now at Texas State - San Marcos. Graduate of SFA.

Vidor native. Recruits Golden Triangle.

Would love nothing more than to coach at Lamar.

This is the hidden content, please

As much as you spit on Texas st football, you want one of Texas st assistant to build Lamar's program.

That sounds desperate to me. Terror you must really fear Lamars rise.

As much as you spit on Texas st football, you want one of Texas st assistant to build Lamar's program.  That sounds desperate to me. Terror you must really fear Lamars rise.

He was a SHSU assistant before he landed in San Marcos. Major part of our 2004 run. I think he's going to be a finalist. Tubbs would be in the wrong not to give him a up close and personal look considering the names I've seen do not as many SLC ties (since you don't want Jim Bob) as Norton...

As much as you spit on Texas st football, you want one of Texas st assistant to build Lamar's program.  That sounds desperate to me. Terror you must really fear Lamars rise.

He was a SHSU assistant before he landed in San Marcos. Major part of our 2004 run. I think he's going to be a finalist. Tubbs would be in the wrong not to give him a up close and personal look considering the names I've seen do not as many SLC ties (since you don't want Jim Bob) as Norton...

HaHa, in your dreams. Reguardless of the fact he coached at SHSU, you have posted many times basically saying Texas st sucks at football.

Yet you want Lamar to hire one of the coaches of a team you says sucks. I bet you have dreams of LU football failing.

Why? So he is a good assistant at the SLC level... none of us including Tubbs want us to stay long term in the Southland Conference, the man has only really coached in the SLC and has no head coaching experience in the College at all... seems like just another applicant. I hear most likely that the man who gets this job hasn't applied yet.

Why? So he is a good assistant at the SLC level... none of us including Tubbs want us to stay long term in the Southland Conference, the man has only really coached in the SLC and has no head coaching experience in the College at all... seems like just another applicant. I hear most likely that the man who gets this job hasn't applied yet.

I find that hard to believe that Tubbs does not want to stay long term in the SLC. He's doing a respectable job as far as making his voice heard in this conference as he works to "improve" it...

I find that hard to believe that Tubbs does not want to stay long term in the SLC. He's doing a respectable job as far as making his voice heard in this conference as he works to "improve" it...

Hey, let's not put the cart before the horse here. Tubbs would be stupid to look beyond SLC for atleast the next 10 years. Let's get the program established and running. When you start whipping the boys across the Sabine, then we can talk about beyond the SLC. And everyone can stop dreaming, we're not getting a "Big Name" coach coming to Lamar to start a 20 year dead program! We need someone with college level coaching exp., and local ties to here. Someone willing to endure 1-9 and 2-8 seasons for the next 2-4 years. Your not going to see the Mac Brown's or Les Miles' lining up for that job!

Hey, let's not put the cart before the horse here. Tubbs would be stupid to look beyond SLC for atleast the next 10 years. Let's get the program established and running. When you start whipping the boys across the Sabine, then we can talk about beyond the SLC. And everyone can stop dreaming, we're not getting a "Big Name" coach coming to Lamar to start a 20 year dead program! We need someone with college level coaching exp., and local ties to here. Someone willing to endure 1-9 and 2-8 seasons for the next 2-4 years. Your not going to see the Mac Brown's or Les Miles' lining up for that job!

No, just the opposite, not looking beyond the slc is stupid. Nobody wants to see Lamar vs Nicholls st or Lamar vs Tarleton st. Nobody except Terror.

Looking beyond the SLC in the next ten years is a pipe dream. There is noting wrong with palying the SLC for a few years to get you up on your feet. McNeese packs them in over at their place, we need to start by looking over there. Probably not going to build a domed stadium in downtown Beaumont either. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Just stating what I heard... and I know Billy doesn't want Lamar to be stuck in the Southland Conference forever. He wants better for Lamar.

Looking beyond the SLC in the next ten years is a pipe dream. There is noting wrong with palying the SLC for a few years to get you up on your feet. McNeese packs them in over at their place, we need to start by looking over there. Probably not going to build a domed stadium in downtown Beaumont either. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Staying in the Southland is like putting Lamar on the crack pipe. There was a study that came out a few weeks ago that said this area has an

inferior view of it's self. The people in this area feel Beaumont should never better itself, Houston and Austin deserves anything new and innovative. That we

are not worthy of any considered good. So there is loud voices screaming to keep the status quo. You can see it on this forum, you can see it in the Jefferson county

leaders, you can see it when you look at the history of Lamar between 1970 to 1999. Thank Goodness Dr Simmons and the Legend is not of that mnindset.

Staying in the Southland is like putting Lamar on the crack pipe. There was a study that came out a few weeks ago that said this area has an

inferior view of it's self. The people in this area feel Beaumont should never better itself, Houston and Austin deserves anything new and innovative. That we

are not worthy of any considered good. So there is loud voices screaming to keep the status quo. You can see it on this forum, you can see it in the Jefferson county

leaders, you can see it when you look at the history of Lamar between 1970 to 1999. Thank Goodness Dr Simmons and the Legend is not of that mnindset.

I may be having a senior moment but I seem to remember Lamar decided to go back to the Southland after several years of playing with the big dogs in the Sun Belt.

I may be having a senior moment but I seem to remember Lamar decided to go back to the Southland after several years of playing with the big dogs in the Sun Belt.

Big dawgs like La-Monroe, school pop. 7,000. Lamar came back to the SLC because someone had the mentallity of a fly. Every week I use to see Lamar name

on the big board at Ceasars Palace, Barbary Coast, Flamingo, Mirage, and Star Dust(RIP). Southland teams don't make the board. Bad leadership is so frustrating.

Lamar came back to the Southland because at the time the University as a whole was in horrible shape financially and couldn't afford the travel costs in the Sunbelt.  Dr. Cottle rectified the finances problem during his tenure and Dr. Simmons has done an excellent job of taking the foundation laid by Cottle and steadily improving the University in all areas.

Lamar came back to the Southland because at the time the University as a whole was in horrible shape financially and couldn't afford the travel costs in the Sunbelt.  Dr. Cottle rectified the finances problem during his tenure and Dr. Simmons has done an excellent job of taking the foundation laid by Cottle and steadily improving the University in all areas.

Lamar was getting "dogged" in the Sunbelt and the expenses and LOSING didn't look good on the balance sheets. Enough said!

Same excuse used to drop football.

Hey guys, I dont mean to hijack your post, but...........arent we suppose to be talking about the new HC at Lamar and who it might possibly be? Any ideas?

We are all idea out. We are ready to here the real name so we can start discuss how this coach should build this team. We are experts

ya know.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami