Central Next Season

Guest Dirk Diggler

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does Boutte bring to the table to help Lamar University?  Is it his innovative man to man offense?  You know...where the guards stack up behind the posts, then pop out?  Or his inovative zone offense, otherwise known as high/low?  Maybe his stall ball will translate well to the college game. 

Look Boutte has had a ton of success at the high school level.  As he should, because he has had a ton of super talent at the high school level.  Do you really think he would have had the same success if he coached Nederland, Port-Neches, or Lumberton all those years?  You think he takes any of those teams to state or regionals???  If so, you're nuts.  He does a good job with out of this world talent.  There are many area coaches that would have the same success (if not more) if they had the talent that Boutte has been blessed to coach over the years. 

Trust me, Lamar WILL NOT be calling Boutte begging for him to join the staff.  Just won't happen.  Roc will find a COLLEGE coach that he has previously worked with.  I'm sure he will make the right decision. 

By no means is this post meaning to degrade Boutte.  He has done a fine job over the years.  He's just not the savior some of you make him out to be.

Guest DickVitale

What does Boutte bring to the table to help Lamar University?   Is it his innovative man to man offense?  You know...where the guards stack up behind the posts, then pop out?  Or his inovative zone offense, otherwise known as high/low?  Maybe his stall ball will translate well to the college game. 

Look Boutte has had a ton of success at the high school level.  As he should, because he has had a ton of super talent at the high school level.  Do you really think he would have had the same success if he coached Nederland, Port-Neches, or Lumberton all those years?  You think he takes any of those teams to state or regionals???  If so, you're nuts.  He does a good job with out of this world talent.  There are many area coaches that would have the same success (if not more) if they had the talent that Boutte has been blessed to coach over the years. 

Trust me, Lamar WILL NOT be calling Boutte begging for him to join the staff.  Just won't happen.  Roc will find a COLLEGE coach that he has previously worked with.  I'm sure he will make the right decision. 

By no means is this post meaning to degrade Boutte.  He has done a fine job over the years.  He's just not the savior some of you make him out to be.

YES you ARE trying to downgrade and degrade what Boutte has accomplished...Because you obviously do not have a clue, please allow me to enlighten you...The reason why Boutte would help Lamar's program is one, AREA RECRUITING would definitely pick up. EXAMPLE:Do you think that without Boutte Lamar would have a shot at Decarlos Frank when he leaves Ozen? NO way...However he and players like him from other area schools would be more likely to give Lamar a shot because he is a proven and successful coach.  Second, if you think all of that winning is due to players only then you are DUMBER than I thought you were...How many D-1 players have come out of Ozen and Lincoln during his tenure? FOUR since he has been at Ozen....FOUR in 10 years...That is INCLUDING Perk....At Lincoln?....THREE in 8 years...pretty amazing, huh? So, flush that "talent" theory down the toilet..Then when I say that you are being racists, you wonder why? How can you NOT give him credit for DOMINATING the area year in and year out? Amazing fact.....Westbrook has had TWICE as many D-1 athletes...Makes you think, doesn't it...it should.

Included in that D1 talent is 2 players that went immediately from HS to the NBA.  heck, Kenna Young was MVP of the Big SKY but couldn't get MVP of his own HS team.  That's how much talent he's had.  How many players from Ozen and Lincoln have played college ball at any level under Boutte's tenure?  What would you say 50?  Somewhere in that neighborhood?

2 more are currently playing oversees besides the 2 in the NBA.  And I have no idea where McElroy is playing these days, but I'm sure it is somewhere. 

Your point is they should hire Boutte to boost AREA recruiting?  heck Roc is from Port Acres, he is as area as it gets.  What players have Lamar missed out on since Roc has been here from the area that could possibly help the team?  One I can think of...JaCovan.  That's it. 

Like I said earlier, Boutte does a very good job with the best talent in the area (and sometimes state), but that does not mean it translates to college.

Guest DickVitale

Stephen Jackson played junior college ball, then played overseas, before finally craking the league in 2002. My point was that WESTBROOK had more talent, and have done very little. They can't even compare. Todd Sutherland has done great as well, and NO it has not been all about talent in his programs either...These guys are COACHES and have done extremely well at their respective schools, and that achievment should be commended...Do you think if Boutte were on the staff at Lamar they would have a BETTER shot at getting J'Covan Brown? That is an OBVIOUS yes..What about Kris Richards? and Dominique Keller? Jamar Gulley? Jacoby Joseph? Decarlos Frank? You better believe it....That would be the INSTANT advantage of getting him over there. INSTANT. You don't win over 85% of your games, win 3 state championships at two different schools and can't coach...Just does not happen that way. Having talent is great, but coaching has to be in place for it all to come together, especially in high school...

Ozen is the only high school in town... This was a Central thread!

For one his talent is not out of this world... He coached two super stars, Stevie Jackson and Kendrick Perkins.  He coached four decent D1 players. He has coached some great Junco players....  Since he has been at Ozen four of his guys were D1 material (still playing D1) Keena Young, Kris Richards, Brandon Chappell, and Perk (NBA).  Three guys played D1 on that one Champuionship team. Dabney (TSU-didnt finish), Chappell (Lamar 5 solid years), Young (BYU-All American)....  Besides that one year Boutte doesnt even average one D1 player a year.  Whre is all this all world Talent...  No he would not go far in Nederland and Lumberton, Maybe Vidor would do well!!!!  but all would be more competitive.  The fact is basketball is not what the kids want to play in those towns... Those kids grow up baseball, football, and soccer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does Boutte bring to the table to help Lamar University?   Is it his innovative man to man offense?  You know...where the guards stack up behind the posts, then pop out?  Or his inovative zone offense, otherwise known as high/low?  Maybe his stall ball will translate well to the college game. 

I have to disagree on some things here. Ozen has had average players that work well within the Ozen system. Trust me, it's good coaching that keeps Ozen at the top in this area. Okay, I gotta deep breaths now that I have given Ozen some props. :o

Stephen Jackson played junior college ball, then played overseas, before finally craking the league in 2002. My point was that WESTBROOK had more talent, and have done very little. They can't even compare. Todd Sutherland has done great as well, and NO it has not been all about talent in his programs either...These guys are COACHES and have done extremely well at their respective schools, and that achievment should be commended...Do you think if Boutte were on the staff at Lamar they would have a BETTER shot at getting J'Covan Brown? That is an OBVIOUS yes..What about Kris Richards? and Dominique Keller? Jamar Gulley? Jacoby Joseph? Decarlos Frank? You better believe it....That would be the INSTANT advantage of getting him over there. INSTANT. You don't win over 85% of your games, win 3 state championships at two different schools and can't coach...Just does not happen that way. Having talent is great, but coaching has to be in place for it all to come together, especially in high school...

Dickie! Dickie! Dickie! Do you honestly think a bona-fide D1 player with looks from UT, UofH, Memphis,Kansas, etc,etc, will attend Lamar  because his high school coach asked him to enroll ???  Stay off the sauce :D

Guest DickVitale

Is Lamar NOT a D-1? and to answer your question, YES...Prime example...Michael Beasley went to K-State for one reason and one reason only....BOB HUGGINS...Then he left for West Virginia and he stayed anyway...Beasley COULD have gone to Duke, Carolina, or been on a national championship team at Kansas...You have NO IDEA how much pull a high school coach has IF he has done right by his kids..NO IDEA...

DickieV did you really just try and put K State and Lamar on the same level?  Getting a guy to go play at a Big XII school as opposed to the Southland is a really big difference.  And No one was going to talk J'covan out of Texas.  Good luck to him there.  Hope he helps them a lot next season. 

I think Roc has done a tremendous job so far, and I trust he'll continue to succeed like he has done his entire career.  There is just not enough local talent to turn Lamar into a perennial power.  There may be a guy or two each year (or none some years) locally that can help LU, and thats about it.  It's hard for a young kid to turn down Syracuse (Jackson), Texas (J'covan, BJ), Notre Dame (Sweet), and the likes.  Where would you go if you had Texas, LSU, aTm, and Lamar offering you?  Sure would be tough to turn down those 1st 3.

Guest DickVitale

DickieV did you really just try and put K State and Lamar on the same level?  Getting a guy to go play at a Big XII school as opposed to the Southland is a really big difference.  And No one was going to talk J'covan out of Texas.  Good luck to him there.  Hope he helps them a lot next season. 

I think Roc has done a tremendous job so far, and I trust he'll continue to succeed like he has done his entire career.  There is just not enough local talent to turn Lamar into a perennial power.  There may be a guy or two each year (or none some years) locally that can help LU, and thats about it.  It's hard for a young kid to turn down Syracuse (Jackson), Texas (J'covan, BJ), Notre Dame (Sweet), and the likes.  Where would you go if you had Texas, LSU, aTm, and Lamar offering you?  Sure would be tough to turn down those 1st 3.

Yeah and I see your point, but guess what? I played high school ball for my father, and if he were to take an assistant job at Lamar, after I graduated, then guess where I would have played? LAMAR. And my other choices were Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Stanford, California and Texas Tech..I was not comparing the two SCHOOLS, yet, I was using the K-State and Beasley situation as an example...Beasley could have gone ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY, but he chose K-State because of ONE person's influence...THAT was my point

One thing Coach Boutte has at Ozen is security. What can Coach Roc guaranty? Nothing. I would guess he (Roc) signs a 3 year deal at a time. But if he performs poorly he could be gone anyway. A new coach would come in and bring with him an all new team. After he gets his time in with BISD I would assume he would then be interested in something new , but not until then. Just a wild guess.

As far as this being a Central thread I will say this about Central. They are no power house. They have lost 1st round playoff games the last couple of years. But they are in the playoffs year after year. I really do not think this is going to change this next season.

Guest DickVitale

Committed to Texas A&M, then when Kermit Davis was fired, that spring, I de-commited and signed w/ Tech. My point is, if my HIGH SCHOOL coach were to be the assistant at Lamar, I would have more than likely signed with Lamar..Thats just the way it goes...GLAD it wasn't the case, because my brother played at Lamar for Mike Newell, around that time, and he was an awful piece of work, when originally he signed when Tony Branch was the assistant, then named head coach....They REALLY did not give Tony a fair shot, but that is for another thread on another day!

Guest DickVitale

Being as asisstant in D1 is not about coaching.  Its about recruiting.  Boutte has established he can recruit.  lol

Actually, some coaches only handle the paperwork. Don't recruit nor involved in a lot of coaching to the players.

WHAT? No DOVE, that guy would be the Director of Basketball Operations...He cannot travel nor be on the floor in games or practices, but he coordinates travel and handles paperwork...There is not a staff in AMERICA, that will allow a coach not to recruit OR coach...not happening.

Committed to Texas A&M, then when Kermit Davis was fired, that spring, I de-commited and signed w/ Tech. My point is, if my HIGH SCHOOL coach were to be the assistant at Lamar, I would have more than likely signed with Lamar..Thats just the way it goes...GLAD it wasn't the case, because my brother played at Lamar for Mike Newell, around that time, and he was an awful piece of work, when originally he signed when Tony Branch was the assistant, then named head coach....They REALLY did not give Tony a fair shot, but that is for another thread on another day!

Tony Branch! Dickie V, weren't you in the 2nd or 3rd grade when Branch was coaching here ;) Nah jut joking, but I agree with your Tony Branch statement. Thats a whole new thread to deal with ....

Being as asisstant in D1 is not about coaching.  Its about recruiting.  Boutte has established he can recruit.  lol

Actually, some coaches only handle the paperwork. Don't recruit nor involved in a lot of coaching to the players.

WHAT? No DOVE, that guy would be the Director of Basketball Operations...He cannot travel nor be on the floor in games or practices, but he coordinates travel and handles paperwork...There is not a staff in AMERICA, that will allow a coach not to recruit OR coach...not happening.

I personally know a coach who sits on the floor but handles the administrative portions of the D1  team. They do teach in practice. In fact, me and the coach discussed this same topic this past Friday.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont