****Neumann Stays At Nederland!****

Neumann is finalist at La Marque

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

The Port Arthur News has learned Nederland athletic coordinator/head football coach Larry Neumann is included in a list of four finalists for La Marque's vacant identical position.

Multiple sources within a consulting firm contracted by the La Marque ISD have confirmed that Neumann is expected to be interviewed at some point this week, along with three other finalists, by La Marque schools superintendent Ecomet Burley.

The News contacted Burley's office on Tuesday afternoon, but was not permitted to speak to Burley. The 53-year-old Burley did not return a phone call.

Neumann declined comment to The News on his status for the La Marque position, other than to say that he has not been interviewed at this point by Burley or any La Marque ISD administration official.

Port Arthur Memorial assistant football coach and head girls soccer coach Phil Mattingly also indicated on Tuesday afternoon that he had not been contacted by any La Marque ISD officials, either.

Neumann and Mattingly were two of 34 names released by La Marque's ISD as applicants for the head coaching position which was vacated more than a month ago by Chris Jones, who was hired a year ago after a successful stint at 2A Refugio.

One of the state's annual perennial football powers, La Marque went 9-3 in Jones' one head coaching season, losing to Lumberton 24-21 in the area 4A playoff round. The Cougars also lost to next-door district neighbors Texas City and Dickinson.

At least four individuals have been involved with screening applicants for a consulting firm contracted by the La Marque ISD last month. Members of that firm have indicated that La Marque planned to hire its new head football coach on or before April 10.

One of the state's true high school football meccas, La Marque annually has a number of major college signees from its program. The Cougars have won five state football championships in the past 12 seasons.

It is expected that Neumann, 56, would certainly command a six-figure salary and probably would receive at least a 25 percent salary increase if he would be hired by La Marque. Neumann's base salary at Nederland is $78,000.

Nederland was a frequent La Marque rival while Bryan Erwin served as head coach for five seasons, compiling a 65-8 record, which included 4A Division II state championships in 2003 and 2006. Erwin resigned a year ago from a $92,401 annual salary at La Marque to accept a more lucrative multi-year, six-figure deal at the wealthy north Dallas suburb of Flower Mound.

Neumann confirmed to The News that he would meet with consulting firm members last week. He indicated on Tuesday that he believed his interview with the firm had gone very well last Thursday.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with the Coogs, Newman! I wonder what patitan would have to say about this........I mean someone from Mid-County coaching his 'precious Coogs'? ;D

Its Newman job if he wants it.He will have lots to work with but from i hear from some of the cougar fans is they may have there first losing season in years.They play a very tough non district schedule with Ball High and North Shore.But if anybody can get them back to the big dance its going to be Newman :)

Good luck with the Coogs, Newman! I wonder what patitan would have to say about this........I mean someone from Mid-County coaching his 'precious Coogs'? ;D

Its Newman job if he wants it.He will have lots to work with but from i hear from some of the cougar fans is they may have there first losing season in years.They play a very tough non district schedule with Ball High and North Shore.But if anybody can get them back to the big dance its going to be Newman :)

Explain to me what 'get them back to the big dance' means?  Okay, they swapped out Pearland for NS, they've always played Ball, whipped up on PN-G/Ned and healed up in time to normally win district.  Something Neumann's never done.  They past up on a real coach last time and got this bum who didn't last a full 12 months, they better get an old Coog assistant to maintain and return LM to state rather than messing around with Nuemann. 

Cougar Fans thought the 1997 State Football team didn't have a chance at anything, they looked horrible, but somehow Alan Weddell got them together to win a 3-peat. Nuemann will win a State Championship at La Maque, may be back-to-back. Playing a tough pre-season is nothing new for the Coogs, everyone knows the key is a great Head Coach and his assistants. History repeats itself, we hope he gets hired April 2nd.  ErWIN ring a bell.

Good luck to him!!!

Why has everyone already conceded this job to Neumann? I am sure there are 3 other great candidates. I think all of this talk is a little premature. I look for Nederland to step in very quickly and give Larry a raise to stay(this is a prediction, not a fact).

Guest 87CRU79

Neumann is a great coach but he definitely does not call the plays. Barrow calls the offensive plays and Spell calls the defense. Neumann is more of a motivator than a strategist. His pregame speaches and off-season motivations will be missed the most. Plus, he would stick his neck out for any of his players.

I am sure that all of our 20-4A district opponents are quite thrilled about all of this. 

Why would someone wish you lose your coach, a person would have to be the most selfish  individual I know. I would hope that every Jaguar fan would love the best any school threw at them and that includes coaches, players, cheerleaders, dancers, the band and every fan. The only thing I hope is that we beat everyone we play no matter who's coaching. Hate to see him leave if he does, Nederland needs to be preparing and have their interviews going to start getting thier coach's in place and be ready for the upcoming season because sitting around waiting to see what happens won't do it. I don't know it works but I don't think you have to wait until you lose your caoch.

I am sure that all of our 20-4A district opponents are quite thrilled about all of this. 

Why would someone wish you lose your coach, a person would have to be the most selfish  individual I know. I would hope that every Jaguar fan would love the best any school threw at them and that includes coaches, players, cheerleaders, dancers, the band and every fan. The only thing I hope is that we beat everyone we play no matter who's coaching. Hate to see him leave if he does, Nederland needs to be preparing and have their interviews going to start getting thier coach's in place and be ready for the upcoming season because sitting around waiting to see what happens won't do it. I don't know it works but I don't think you have to wait until you lose your caoch.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments Central_Jaguars.  I was just basing my comment on the vibe I was getting while reading the "Neumann to LM" threads.  Maybe I am reading more into that than what is really there, that is just how it seems to me

04:40 PM in High School Football

La Marque AD/coach finalists announced

By Joshua Buckley |

Five finalists have been announced for the La Marque High School athletic director/head football coach vacancy.

La Marque Independent School District released the list of finalists for the position on Thursday, in response to a request filed by The Daily News under the Texas Public Information on Tuesday night.

The five finalists for the position are:

• Nederland head coach Larry Neumann

• Nimitz head coach David Suggs

• Grapevine head coach Gary Mullins

• Kimball head coach Darrell Jordan

• Flower Mound Marcus defensive coordinator and former La Marque defensive coordinator Chuck Vincent

LMISD Public Information Officer Denise Walker also confirmed on Wednesday that no public forum will be held involving the finalists this year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Chester will be the home team tonight.  Neches Tigers will be the visitors.
    • The locals have almost finished firing the first ever Speaker of the House from Southeast Texas upon direct order of Trump and his minions.   It's a sad day... Locals have decided that being represented by the most powerful man in the House didn't mean anything.... they'd rather a political novice to represent this part of SETX.  And why is that?  He wasn't MAGA enough for them.  Who cares that it will hurt locally... What Trump says, goes.     Just yesterday I saw Trump on television demanding that we fire Phelan... How he's a RINO, weak on the border, etc... why?  Because he wouldn't overlook the criminal actions done by Ken Paxton, one of Trump's key supporters in the effort to overturn the 2020 Election and allow Trump to remain in office despite the will of the voters.   Trump never even mentioned Covey's name, and I doubt he would recognize Covey if Covey walked up with a cup of coffee.  Who cares that it's bad for SETX?  Not the R voters from SETX!   Then I saw Covey's preacher on a different ad tell a bald face lie.  Why should Phelan be fired?  "He put Democrats in positions of power in the House."  Really?  That's been the position of BOTH parties for as long as anybody can remember.  They ALWAYS give the minority party committee chairmanships.  But in 2022 the Rs decided that the practice should stop.  Democrat voters should not be allowed a voice in the crafting of legislation if there is a single majority Republican seat in the House, according to the Rs.  Representative Government?  Never heard of it, huh? Never did I believe that we'd have an abortion ban, constitutional carry, huge cuts for school property taxes, and Texas law enforcement being greenlit to enforce immigration law.  But it all happened while Phelan was speaker.  Without a doubt, the most conservative Speaker, ever.  But still a dirty RINO for not being MAGA enough.  It would be funny if it weren't true.   I've been following politics long enough to remember when Rs couldn't get elected in Texas... I'm confident that we're headed back that direction.  I mean, it's obvious that with population shifts we'll be turning blue eventually.  I think that the behavior of the leadership of the Republican Party is going to cause that shift sooner than expected.  I won't be surprised to see Democrat Senators and possibly even a governor elected within 12 years.  Maybe less.  The Rs will be a party apparatus without a voting base behind them.
    • Yellowjacket faithful are still pouring into Hudson HS’s Gipson Field!!!!  
    • This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
    • The game will be live streamed for those that have Game Changer under the Chester team thread.  I believe the radio station out of Palestine will have radio broadcast.
  • Topics