*OF vs. HF Game Thread/OF WINS 9-0*

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This shows the importance of having all players, expecially the importance of the Sain sisters who aren't there this week due to A SKIING TRIP!! WOW, go from leading the district to third place in one week. I have never heard of anything like this before, I hope the Horns can recover from this. Nothing against the girls that are there playing hard put this is really ashamed and so disappointing for the Team. Good Luck.

Guest b-a-g fan

I realize softball is not life but what are you teaching your kids ... To leave your teammates when they were doing so great .. I know my child went on the field (her choice ) with 101 fever and strep ,told the dr it was not an option to let her teammates down  ??? ??? I know plans are made in advance but so are softball schedules .. too each there own ??? ???

I watched this game as OF's SS Emily Ratcliff and 2nd base Natalie LaVerne were just making great plays one after the other.  OF's  #2 Pitcher delivered a lot of strikes that H-F hit as grounders to the OF infield. I tell you what, that OF infield played a solid ballgame today.  OF is an up-and-coming program that is gaining respect!

I get what you are saying about the girls not being there, that does hurt and I would be very mad if I was on that team and had to play without them to go skiing, anyway I was not at the game, but I know my sister made a home run off of a bunt (way to go Aimee Scales :)) My question is even with the girls who aren't there can they really make up for 9 runs?

??? ???in ALL sports, coaches never cease to amaze me...they rely on one or two people to carry a whole team and when these one or two people are missing the team seems to fall apart....people seem to forget the fact is there is no "i" in team or "we" in team it should be US..... coaches should prepare for when those one/two people are not going to be there to prepare the TEAM for changes so they are prepared for anything..that is preparing your team for whatever is thrown at them...lets ralley back Lady Horns and turn this team around with the ones that we have...

??? ???in ALL sports, coaches never cease to amaze me...they rely on one or two people to carry a whole team and when these one or two people are missing the team seems to fall apart....people seem to forget the fact is there is no "i" in team or "we" in team it should be US..... coaches should prepare for when those one/two people are not going to be there to prepare the TEAM for changes so they are prepared for anything..that is preparing your team for whatever is thrown at them...lets ralley back Lady Horns and turn this team around with the ones that we have...

Yeah, that's called "team chemistry."  I, personally, don't know what goes on with your coaches and their team.  However, every kid on a team has a role.  Take one or two of them away, and that affects your team chemistry and changes the whole dynamic of the game.  Sure, the other kids have to rally back and figure out a way to win even if something happens but blaming this on the coaches is absurd.

How about the fact that these girls knew they would have softball games during Spring Break and their parents chose to schedule a trip anyway?  Bottom line is if you are a softball/baseball player.....you don't get a Spring Break.  That's a fact of life.  Plan it during the summer and honor your commitment to the team.

Good luck to HF...hopefully you can bounce back.

??? ???in ALL sports, coaches never cease to amaze me...they rely on one or two people to carry a whole team and when these one or two people are missing the team seems to fall apart....people seem to forget the fact is there is no "i" in team or "we" in team it should be US..... coaches should prepare for when those one/two people are not going to be there to prepare the TEAM for changes so they are prepared for anything..that is preparing your team for whatever is thrown at them...lets rally back Lady Horns and turn this team around with the ones that we have...

Pitchers are always the life blood of any softball or baseball team. When they are missing the team can recover but most teams are not the same without there starter. Very few teams have backups as good as there starters or they would be starters. It is always difficult to compete with non starters but the bottom line is everyone has injury's, illnesses and other reasons starters can't be there so in the end. The game is our 9 against your 9 and 1 team will win and the other will lose and nobody cares who was there just the end result. Good luck to both teams and keep fighting, everyone has a shot at the playoffs.

Everyone is free to come on this site and try to put blame on the people that weren't there. Our pitching is not the reason we lost this game. Their pitching is a big part of why we lost this game. J Starks pitched a very nice game and her defense played nearly flawlessly. We only got 3 hits tonight, 1 by Hillary Wade and 2 by Kendall Williams, and you don't win many games with only 3 hits.

I didn't keep a book, but OF only got 5 or 6 hits themselves and none of those were blistered. They scored 2 runs in the first on no hits and 4 runs in the second with only 1 hit. We threw the ball all over the place. We missed fly balls. We threw the ball to the fence 3 times from the infield. We made mental errors. It was just a bad game. The bad thing was when we started making mistakes, the shoulders started sagging. Six runs down in the 2nd inning should still be a game for this team. Don't think this team is done. This is a good softball team and they will challenge for one of those playoff spots.

Yeah, that's called "team chemistry."  I, personally, don't know what goes on with your coaches and their team.  However, every kid on a team has a role.  Take one or two of them away, and that affects your team chemistry and changes the whole dynamic of the game.  Sure, the other kids have to rally back and figure out a way to win even if something happens but blaming this on the coaches is absurd.

How about the fact that these girls knew they would have softball games during Spring Break and their parents chose to schedule a trip anyway?  Bottom line is if you are a softball/baseball player.....you don't get a Spring Break.  That's a fact of life.  Plan it during the summer and honor your commitment to the team.

Good luck to HF...hopefully you can bounce back.

I agree!

Guest b-a-g fan

As far as relying on one or two players  ??? ??? ???DUH ??? It takes a team but a class pitcher is the diffrence in first and last that is just fact  ??? and i HEAR The same kids will miss the BC game too.. they are hard enough to hang with with a full deck

I agree with all on here talking about roles for every player and team chemistry. The fact of the matter still remains the ace of the staff, the pitcher that was undefeated thus far in district (and one of the top hitters) along with a senior starter and good hitter, were not at this game or with this team for the first time this district season, by their choice. Did it mean a 9 run difference? We will never know. But remember these two missing means two others have to fill their position and then two girls have to play those two positions, etc.,etc.,.

Did it affect the final outcome of this game, no one knows for sure we will never know, but I can say with confidence, it affected the game greatly, and it affected the team chemistry of the HF team. And you probably wouldn't doubt this fact had you seen this team the last 3 district games when they beat WOS, HJ, and SILSBEE. A pitcher in softball can make all the difference in the world, especially a quality one as the Sain girl. I feel many of those plays that were thrown all over the field would have been cut in half due to them being K's from Sain instead of hit balls requiring plays.

Congratulations to OF, they won, but lets be realistic. Keep your head up HF if you can survive this bump in the road you will be a better team when it is over. Good luck the rest of the way and keep fighting,

....How about the fact that these girls knew they would have softball games during Spring Break and their parents chose to schedule a trip anyway?  Bottom line is if you are a softball/baseball player.....you don't get a Spring Break.  That's a fact of life.  Plan it during the summer and honor your commitment to the team......

Where do you go snow skiing in the summer?  She also has a commitment to her travel team in the summer.

Why aren't any of the multi-sport advocates chiming in here on their behalf? Those players can be "guilty" of the same thing.

You're wanting to challenge their level of commitment?  You must not know how many hours a year Shannon puts into softball.  What pct of other HS players out there have made that type of commitment to softball?  That is not a bashing of the girls do not want to commit that amount of time to the game, but to look a commitment in a different light.

I won't speak for the Sain's, but my daughter's first commitment is to travel ball.  She's part of that team 8 months of the year, with the other 4 months for the HS team.

people are not realizing HF does have other pitchers other than Shannon...yeah Shannon is a Awesome pitcher/batter but knowing you would not have her at the BEGINNING of season and KNOWING what was coming your way during spring break wouldnt you have turned up the heat on your other pitcher..come on Kendall was put on Varsity as a back up pitcher why not get her on mount experience  BEFORE and Tiff was put on Varsity this week to back up also...come on Tiff was back up for Amber last year...yeah she had a injury but has bounced back pretty well......if you have 3 strong pitchers who have been in the hot box in select ball(((yeah i know school coaches dont like that either....but facts are facts))and are use to the heat why not utilize them in high school play...hello they have played against Houston teams before and i think those teams are higher on the list than Bridge City/WOS/HF or anyone around here..the Sains are not here deal with it and let other girls step up but without praticing them they TOGETHER it is kinda of hard

people are not realizing HF does have other pitchers other than Shannon...yeah Shannon is a Awesome pitcher/batter but knowing you would not have her at the BEGINNING of season and KNOWING what was coming your way during spring break wouldnt you have turned up the heat on your other pitcher..come on Kendall was put on Varsity as a back up pitcher why not get her on mount experience  BEFORE and Tiff was put on Varsity this week to back up also...come on Tiff was back up for Amber last year...yeah she had a injury but has bounced back pretty well......if you have 3 strong pitchers who have been in the hot box in select ball(((yeah i know school coaches dont like that either....but facts are facts))and are use to the heat why not utilize them in high school play...hello they have played against Houston teams before and i think those teams are higher on the list than Bridge City/WOS/HF or anyone around here..the Sains are not here deal with it and let other girls step up but without praticing them they TOGETHER it is kinda of hard

Wow, did not realize that Houston is that much higher than our area.