I smell a RAT!

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the progress of BISD's "new" Athletic Complex. I have asked several people that are "in the know", and no one can, or will, give me a straight answer on anything. It's almost like they are afraid to say anything. From what I understand, BISD's first problem is that they cant find land available to purchase.  ??? Look around. It's not like it has to have special zoning, like strip club would. Their first choice is purchasing some piece of property from the county at Ford Park. That aint gonna happen! Truth be told, BISD was spending the bond money before the bond election was even held. I just cant believe that they haven't even moved the first scoop of dirt toward the "new" stadium. There was something in the neighborhood of $30 million dollars allocated for that project, and nothing has been done yet. At this point, I would be suprised if they actually still had plans to built it. I think there might be something going on that they're not telling us. Your thoughts?

Well, all that sounds great, but from what I understand BISD doesn't even have a build location yet! How can a construction project start when they dont even know where it's gonna be built? Sorry to be so forward, but I was getting shrugged off by everyone that I asked about this. It will, however, be hard to get this thing finished in time for the 2009 season if they dont start within the next month! Maybe I was just jumping the gun on this thing, but I was under the impression that they would have already broken ground by now. I hope it's finished in time!

Well, all that sounds great, but from what I understand BISD doesn't even have a build location yet! How can a construction project start when they dont even know where it's gonna be built?

Who owns the land @ Babe Zaharius ? They could'nt put the field there ?

That lacation doesn't sound like a smart move to me.......bad location for a brand new state-of -the-art stadium.

I could care less about the new stadium.  I'm a huge sports fan, but I also teach for B.I.S.D., and I'm confused as to how my school (a 40 year old structure surrounded by 25 year old portable buildings) is on tier 3 of the bond, while a 30 million dollar sports facility is at the top of the list.  Being where we are on the list, the projected "improvement" for my school is that two other campuses will merge, and we will be relocated to the campus that is abandoned.  The projected campus is slightly newer, and has slightly fewer portable buildings, but is still only about two steps above being a dump.  It all just doesn't make sense to me.  If you'll notice in other districts that have really nice stadiums, they generally have really nice schools as well.  Seems like our priorities are a little out of whack.

all of the districts elem. schools will be new. Is Headstart a school or a program?

It's shafted.  It's a government program that receives a grant every year.  BISD gets money from the students just like every regular elementary school in the district, but they have to put virtually nothing back into it.  10 years ago, half of headstart's salary was paid by BISD... now none of it is.  Headstart gets $2.7 million a year, which sounds like a big number, but when you figure the salary of 40 or so teachers at an average of around $41,000 a year, an assistant for each of those teachers at around $20,000 a year, administration, secretaries, cafeteria and janitorial workers, social workers, nurses, and other various staff, there is next to nothing left for the kids.  On top of that, they're in the worst school in the district, even though it's arguably the most important school.  This is the place where the underpriviledged get a chance to learn enough to start out on an even footing when they begin school with all of the children who've attended private daycare, or who's mothers didn't have to work 3 jobs to make ends meet and had time to teach them at home.  With all of the pressure to have "recognized" and "distinguished" campuses, you'd think that a school such as this would be held in high regard, and be made into a top priority.  Instead, they are continually pushed to the back, bled of funds, and forced to scramble to make ends meet while the rest of the district grows fat off the federal money they bring in.  Soooooo, in the next few years, as all of these new schools are being built, if Headstart is "lucky", it will be moved to Fehl, which will be an equally inadequate, although slightly newer, environment for preschoolers.  As for the bond building so many new schools, I'll believe it when I see it.  I doubt very highly that any single project that is planned will be at or below expected cost.  Eventually the bond will run out of money, and the schools at the bottom of the totem pole may or may not get what they have been promised.  Of course, we will have a state of the art football stadium. 

i thought Headstart was moving to the Bingman site with impaovements? Also we should probably move this discussion to another thread

I've heard a couple of different things.  As for the improvements... Either way, you're right about moving the topic... actually, I'm over it, talking won't change anything. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed