Good Job HJ-Great Year but why am I concerned?

I would really like to congratulate the HJ boys on a very successful season.  You really fought hard, no matter what happened in the game you gave it your all.  On the other hand, I would like to voice my opinion on the poor coaching job that was displayed during the past few games.  I have been watching HJ basketball for quite some time and I do not understand the thinking of the coaching staff this year.  Yes they have won a few state championships but how did they win.  They did what they had to do to win, they played who was needed to win.  Nothing against some of the boys on the team but hey you do what you have to do to win.  If certain players continue to fold under pressure or continue to turn the ball over then why would you continue to put them in those situations when you have players who can get the job done sitting on the bench.  Numerous people have expressed their displeasure, but no one says anything, scared of the almighty coach, or just saying hey I'm glad it isnt my kid.  I hear that a senior is on the team who may be the second or third best player on the team but never played, he was utilized to just playing only a few seconds a game.  I heard that the reason was because he did not play last year, so what!!  You should not hold it against a player for not playing, isnt that his decision.  Then it was said that he didnt know the offense, well how could he learn if he never played.  Basketball is more than about who you are friends with or how much money you have, it is about trying to do what you can to win.  The coaching staff in my opinion did not do what it took to win, how long will you just use your one or two players, get them some help.  Yeah Silsbee won and these things really dont matter, but I wonder how the game would have came out if these things were done.  If this were Ozen, Kountze, East Chambers, or even Silsbee if a player just couldnt get it done but they had a player or players who could, who do you think would be playing.  Some may think I am wrong but I know basketball and I am just calling it like I see it.

Lets look back just for the record to the past 2 years.1 state championship and one regional finalist appearance.Sounds to me like the captain is doing a pretty good job of driving the ship.If your not happy with this staff you would extremely dissapointed with any other one.I gotta disagree with your screen name.Congrats to the Hawks on great year,lots of underclassman on this club,so they'll be back.

Lets look back just for the record to the past 2 years.1 state championship and one regional finalist appearance.Sounds to me like the captain is doing a pretty good job of driving the ship.If your not happy with this staff you would extremely dissapointed with any other one.I gotta disagree with your screen name.Congrats to the Hawks on great year,lots of underclassman on this club,so they'll be back.

Ditto.  Just sounds like sour grapes to me.

This is ridiculous that you would even come on here and say this.  I know who made this post and you should be ashamed of yourself for allowing yourself to make a post like this.  This entire staff knows what they are doing.  You are upset because in your opinion this kid should have played more!!!!  You don't make that decision....the coaches do!!!!!  If they had won then you would not have made this post!!!!  I am very disappointed for you that you made this post!!!!  Grow up you are better than this!!!!!  If you are a true fan than you would discuss your misfortunes with the staff instead of bashing one of the greatest coaches ever in SE Texas and maybe all of Texas!!!!!  BTW the player that you are referring to as at best the 7th-8th best player for HJ. 

Guest tigersvoice

I would really like to congratulate the HJ boys on a very successful season.  You really fought hard, no matter what happened in the game you gave it your all.  On the other hand, I would like to voice my opinion on the poor coaching job that was displayed during the past few games.  I have been watching HJ basketball for quite some time and I do not understand the thinking of the coaching staff this year.  Yes they have won a few state championships but how did they win.  They did what they had to do to win, they played who was needed to win.  Nothing against some of the boys on the team but hey you do what you have to do to win.  If certain players continue to fold under pressure or continue to turn the ball over then why would you continue to put them in those situations when you have players who can get the job done sitting on the bench.  Numerous people have expressed their displeasure, but no one says anything, scared of the almighty coach, or just saying hey I'm glad it isnt my kid.  I hear that a senior is on the team who may be the second or third best player on the team but never played, he was utilized to just playing only a few seconds a game.  I heard that the reason was because he did not play last year, so what!!  You should not hold it against a player for not playing, isnt that his decision.  Then it was said that he didnt know the offense, well how could he learn if he never played.  Basketball is more than about who you are friends with or how much money you have, it is about trying to do what you can to win.  The coaching staff in my opinion did not do what it took to win, how long will you just use your one or two players, get them some help.  Yeah Silsbee won and these things really dont matter, but I wonder how the game would have came out if these things were done.  If this were Ozen, Kountze, East Chambers, or even Silsbee if a player just couldnt get it done but they had a player or players who could, who do you think would be playing.  Some may think I am wrong but I know basketball and I am just calling it like I see it.

Considering the success that the present Coaching Staff has had, this is just incredulous.  This is as sour as the grapes EVER get.  And, he just registered today so that he could straighten things out.  I guess all the rest of the season things were going alright with him.  Just incredulous!

his ID should be "I don't know anything about the game" instead of "i Know the game" I'm not from HJ but a bet you there is HUNDREDs of school high school and college that would jump at the chance to get Sutherland and his staff. I vote not let him post again

Trolls always come out from under the bridge when adversity occurs.  Sutherland is absolutely the best coach in the area.  On game days whether it is basketball, football, or whatever, the kids have to play to the level they are capable.  Every team has an off game and an on game.  Yesterday was Silsbee's day much like last year it was HJ's.  To question a coach based strictly on one loss is idiotic.  I tell you what, how about the original poster place their resume' on the board.  I guarantee it pales in comparison.  I would surmise the original poster doesn't even have the qualifications to even be a coach.  Lose gracefully, your team will see success in the future.

Trolls always come out from under the bridge when adversity occurs.  Sutherland is absolutely the best coach in the area.  On game days whether it is basketball, football, or whatever, the kids have to play to the level they are capable.  Every team has an off game and an on game.  Yesterday was Silsbee's day much like last year it was HJ's.  To question a coach based strictly on one loss is idiotic.  I tell you what, how about the original poster place their resume' on the board.  I guarantee it pales in comparison.  I would surmise the original poster doesn't even have the qualifications to even be a coach.  Lose gracefully, your team will see success in the future.

But he coached little dribblers one year! ;D

But he coached little dribblers one year! ;D

yeah but his team finished dead last that year with the only win coming by the other team not showing up  ;D

Man it looks like the truth hurts.  And I agree with you about Coach Sutherland he is a great coach, but who said I was talking about Coach Sutherland.  And for whoever said that the player or players who I was refering to was the 7th or 8th best player on the team, name them. Besides #3 and #42, where would you rank #33 he never touches the floor.  Is he that horrible?  From what I hear he is an awesome athlete, this is all that is discussed in the stands, including the visitors.  All Im saying is that you do what it takes to win, I didnt come to argue, Im just calling it like I see it, this is why it is called an opinion.  I have played basketball on all levels and if a player did not cut the mustard and there were players who could, guess who played?

Man it looks like the truth hurts.  And I agree with you about Coach Sutherland he is a great coach, but who said I was talking about Coach Sutherland.  And for whoever said that the player or players who I was refering to was the 7th or 8th best player on the team, name them. Besides #3 and #42, where would you rank #33 he never touches the floor.  Is he that horrible?  From what I hear he is an awesome athlete, this is all that is discussed in the stands, including the visitors.  All Im saying is that you do what it takes to win, I didnt come to argue, Im just calling it like I see it, this is why it is called an opinion.  I have played basketball on all levels and if a player did not cut the mustard and there were players who could, guess who played?

Where should I begin?????  Alphabetical so I don't step on anyone's toes!!!!

#1 Bernard

#2 Burrell

#3 Fontenot

#4 Payne

#5 Ricossa

#6 Sundgren

#7 Turner

#8 Weldon

Need I say anymore??????  The player in question is the 9th (sorry I was even wrong when I posted earleir by saying 6th or 7th best player) best player.  When he performed it was in the latter parts of games agains inferior opponets.  He would not have handled the pressure better than any of the players mentioned above.  He is fortunate to even be able to play this year after not playing last year.  The coaching staff did him a favor.  They did just fine without him last year.  It is sad that he handles it better than you do!!!!!

Being able to play the game and coaching the game are 2 different things.

Since you played on all levels...What pro team did you play for?

I'm sorry man but you have got to be one of the biggest idiots i know.... why would someone say someting so stupid... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Guest abovetherim

I find it hard to believe someone thinks HJ doesn't have a GREAT COACHING STAFF! (not just one great coach) That said, some of these post are going over the line of good taste.

I think you guys need to review the rules of this forum as posted by the owner of this site.

So what is it....from "what you hear" or "or like you see it".  Were you even at the game?  I was in Austin I believe it was '02 when a truly more talented team beat Sutherland's then Kounze Lions.  It was late in the game with Gainsville having a solid double digit lead when Sutherland put in some sophomores and freshmen to get some "time".  Of course they looked great against the Gainsville bench players.  Then all of a sudden folks in the stands started bashing Sutherland for not knowing he should have been playing those kids.  They were "better" than the starters.  Nothing like the "real" coaches in the stands.  Let's hear what "mustard" you were and could cut.

Guest abovetherim

That is hilarious!! I was thinking about these two.

4) Keep it civil! You can make your point much more attractive to others by remaining calm and intelligent. You will be banned for flaming or attacking another member!! We will not tolerate abuse upon another member.

18 ) The bashing of any particular coach, player, referee, etc will not be tolerated. This includes issues involving their personal lives, coaching/playing style or performance, past experiences, etc.

I played for Coach Sutherland and Asst. Coach Lee at East Chambers.  I would not even think about questioning his abilities to coach, who to play, or when to play them.  The dumb comment about not learning the offenses because he doesn't get into the games is ridiculous.  Thats what you have practices for.  If you can't learn the offenses in 5 months of practice, then that just shows that you really don't want to get any PT.