Predictable teams and trick plays

There are some teams out there that you know what they are going to run before the ball is even snapped. What are some predictable teams you have seen?

I remember watching Newton a few years back. They were very basic, when the fullback lined left the tb/qb was going left. When the fb lined right the tb/qb was going right. It was so basic yet unstoppable. It was a stop it if you can type mentality. It works because they have the athletes.

I also find Lumberton pretty predictable. Certain receivers move and the pass is headed that way.

The most unpredictable team I have seen however is Kirbyville. Alvarez has more trick plays than anyone I have ever seen. They blow a lot of folks out who get caught up in the trickery.

The best trick play I remember was in '88 when WOS played Tomball (Tomball beat Silsbee the week before thus no WOS/Silsbee matchup :cry: ) in the quarters. They go to the line with 10 men on the field. Then the "extra" 11th man comes jogging over to the qb who was on the left side 10 yards away from the line to "get the play". As the qb appears to be telling the play the ball was hiked to the rb catching the whole defense off guard. They were watching the qb "tell the play."

First, when I was playing ball in high school our FB had to line up the same way (offset) of the QB & RB, but it was because our FB wasn't fast enough to get out of the way.. :( I also saw a pretty good trick play last year in 0 week when WOS played Jasper, it was on the kick off and Jasper were huddled around the ball like they were calling a play, then all of a sudden they took off and kicked a slow onside kick ( and it worked ) but WOS still got the WIN... :)

Guest ECBucFan

PN-G had a great one back in the 90's when Danny Malone was coach. The kicker, Keith Waguspack, would routienly boom 45+ yd FG's. So, when PNG was around the 45 or 50 yard line, they lined up for a real long FG. While everyone was standing around, waiting, the "holder" would run on the field, with the "wrong" tee (the orange kind with 3 little legs, used for kickoffs). Kicker would yell "NO, NO, get the block tee (ususlly black solid for FG's & pat's). Holder would stop in his tracks, turn and run to the sideline, toss the tee aside, ball was casually snapped, lineman casually stood around, "holder sprints down sideline uncovered, pass complete for easy walk in TD. Sometime the opposing defense looked around in total confusion as to why the PNG side of the stadium was celebrating. Never had a clue!

I remember the "guard around" play that is now illegal. WOS used that play in the playoffs in 86 against Jasper on their way to the state championship game. I think Jasper was the only team to beat them that year in the regular season, but I'm not sure about that. That was a tough loss that year.

There are some teams out there that you know what they are going to run before the ball is even snapped. What are some predictable teams you have seen?

I remember watching Newton a few years back. They were very basic' date=' when the fullback lined left the tb/qb was going left. When the fb lined right the tb/qb was going right. It was so basic yet unstoppable. It was a stop it if you can type mentality. It works because they have the athletes.

I also find Lumberton pretty predictable. Certain receivers move and the pass is headed that way.

The most unpredictable team I have seen however is Kirbyville. Alvarez has more trick plays than anyone I have ever seen. They blow a lot of folks out who get caught up in the trickery.

The best trick play I remember was in '88 when WOS played Tomball (Tomball beat Silsbee the week before thus no WOS/Silsbee matchup :cry: ) in the quarters. They go to the line with 10 men on the field. Then the "extra" 11th man comes jogging over to the qb who was on the left side 10 yards away from the line to "get the play". As the qb appears to be telling the play the ball was hiked to the rb catching the whole defense off guard. They were watching the qb "tell the play."[/quote']You are correct about Newton being somewhat predictable. I have heard Coach Barbay say that he doesn't care if the other teams knows what he going to run because they still have to stop it. I also think this also fits Jasper, very predictable but hard to stop.

I remember the "guard around" play that is now illegal. WOS used that play in the playoffs in 86 against Jasper on their way to the state championship game. I think Jasper was the only team to beat them that year in the regular season' date=' but I'm not sure about that. That was a tough loss that year.[/quote']

We also lost to Aldine MacArthur 14-0 in the first game of the season...

Never made it past the quarterfinals and only made it to the quarterfinals once or twice. Don't get me wrong. I think Walkoviak was a very good coach. But he never won Region 3 and in my book (for what it's worth) means that I can't put you in the same category as the great coaches.

Guest bulldogbark

when I played for Jasper we were as predictible as breathing air....we had in my opinion the biggest backs in the district with James and Oliver Hadnot and we had the speed, and what did we have with coach R.E. Davis two plays 24G and 25G both were up the middle and his idea was if we run it long enough it will break...It broke us , it broke everything cept for touchdowns :cry:

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    asfdefsa02
    Newest Member
    asfdefsa02