***********IT PASSES, FOOTBALL IS COMING!!!!!!!****************

January 31, 2008 - 10:58AM

Lamar University students have voted in favor of paying an athletic fee to help fund the return of a football program after about 20 years, with 79% voting 'yes.'

LU released the results shortly before 11 a.m. 1,016 students (79%) voted 'yes' and 278 (21%) voted 'no.'

Students voted Tuesday and Wednesday on whether to pay an athletic fee of $8.75 per credit hour to help fund a football program. The fee would be $4.50 during summer sessions.

The fees would take effect in 2009 and the goal is to play ball in 2010. Students would receive free passes to football games for the following four seasons.

LU President Dr. Jimmy Simmons says the return of football would also require substantial private donations and approval from the Texas State University System board of regents, but the student vote is a major first step.

The ballot boxes were taken to the Lamar University Police Department after voting ended Wednesday.

Thursday morning, the boxes were taken to the Cherry Engineering Building where scanning machines began automatically counting the ballots. They were checked to ensure proper student registration information.

Stay with KFDM and kfdm.com for the latest on the vote.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I have said, another joke just like the Wildcatters....Money wasted...... ::)

It's football man!

Yes, I remember the 70s and 80s and the empty seats at Lamar. By 2012, the seats will be empty once again....

Stick that bottom lip in before a sniper take it out....

Lamar Football whoooo hoooooo

0002008A.gif

Like I have said, another joke just like the Wildcatters....Money wasted...... ::)

It's football man!

Yes, I remember the 70s and 80s and the empty seats at Lamar. By 2012, the seats will be empty once again....

this is the real dilemma for Lamar.

If they can't get over 500 within three years the empty stands at Cardinal Stadium won't be pretty.

The head coach hiring is one of the largest decisions Lamar will make in decades.

If Tubbs is involved I think he will guide the decision process to the best choice available.

As a member of the last football team that played at Lamar, I can rember how devastating it was when they axed the program.  The players were on the verge of really succeeding and then all of a sudden they were without a program.

GOOD LUCK TO THE ADMINISTRATION AT LAMAR THAT IS INVOLVED IN THE HIRING OF THE NEW HEAD COACH.

They must make a successful choice the first time, and for goodness sake...

Any one from New Jersey (ex - Abatamarco) SHOULDN'T EVEN MAKE THE CUT!

I can't wait to see the home openner!

I wish they could build a HUGE backdrop and hide the sulfuric acid plan ;-)

It's football man!

If they can't get over 500 within three years the empty stands at Cardinal Stadium won't be pretty.

The head coach hiring is one of the largest decisions Lamar will make in decades.

If Tubbs is involved I think he will guide the decision process to the best choice available.

As a member of the last football team that played at Lamar, I can rember how devastating it was when they axed the program.  The players were on the verge of really succeeding and then all of a sudden they were without a program.

GOOD LUCK TO THE ADMINISTRATION AT LAMAR THAT IS INVOLVED IN THE HIRING OF THE NEW HEAD COACH.

Only 1000 of the 8000 students voted.....It already doesn't sound good. People who go to Lamar, go for degree, not for sports. As I have said in the past, look at the student support for basketball.

[quote author=KDOSullivan link=topic=32892.msg323919#msg323919

Only 1000 of the 8000 students voted.....It already doesn't sound good. People who go to Lamar, go for degree, not for sports. As I have said in the past, look at the student support for basketball.

My thoughts exactly.  Something this big can only get 1000 students to vote.  That's terrible. 

Guest Demons Co-owner

I think this will be a good thing for the area. The SETEX Demons will do their part by bringing fans back to cardinal stadium on a regular basis.

Good Luck LU!

Guest abovetherim

It's football man!

Lawd, facts please! Of the "8,000" students you are quoted as attending Lamar 2,000 of them are teachers who are taking courses on-line and never set foot on the Lamar campus. So now, 1,300 votes out of 6,000 on campus students isn't all that bad. Heck, I'll give you another 1,000 on campus. That is 1,300 votes of 7,000 student who are physically on the Lamar University campus.

I bet BISD, PAISD, the state and national elections wish they have over 10% turnout.

Now, honestly if the referendum didn't pass I would probably make negative post too. It's just I am on the winning side and I'm elated.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder