The media and girls sports...

sdeaver

Have any of you girl's sports followers experienced what I have tonight?  We were winning 70 to 12 putting us at 10-0 in district when I saw that there were 3 news station's (not to be named - but all three local channels) camera men standing on the sidelines with their cameras.  Do you think they even as much as picked up their cameras to report on our girls team - NO - they stood and waited for our boys team to WARM UP?????  What is up with that?  While I support our boys team and am proud of their past state championships, I'm also proud of our girls whom I believe have proved that they have game and should get some form of recognition for that.  I just don't understand why girls sports never get the same recognition as boys!  Can anyone help me understand that? 

Happy to speak on a subject that we have had before. The media for the most part do not beleive there is a girls sport. Sport and girls do not comprehend in there bone heads. The only way to get them to do their jobs as sports casters is to get togeather a lot of voices so we can be heard. Thats what it took to let women vote. In a muslem world this would be acceptable but here I would think more folks would stand up for their girls.Its not going to change untill we complain enough to get just one to start doing their jobs and then we watch that one and the rest will follow. A email by a lot of people to the editor or some way to get out our point.Girls are athletes to.

I can understand your frustration concerning the coverage of your "team", (We don't have to say Kountze... you can insert any team name here). I will say that NOT all three local stations were watching the girls game conclude and shooting the boys game at Kountze tonight. I'm the Sports Director at KFDM and on this particular night my one and only staffed photographer got called off that game to cover news in Beaumont. I absolutely believe that girls sports count and I have never shown boys highlights and scores on a Tuesday or Friday night and not done the same for our area girls teams. The frustration about lack of coverage is felt on the media's side too. I wish we could cover every team on every night in everything that's played. That's just not reasonable with the type of staff we have. I do encourage scores to be called in and any score reported will be on the air. I did have coverage of a girls game tonight...  just not Kountze. We end up making one team happy and 35 others upset.

The game that was covered was a good one, maybe not the score, but it was the coaches 300th win and Ang Greens close 2000th point ( off by only 8 now right?)  I agree though with this many good teams in this area we should see more highlights about the girls, even if its not the Bobcats I like to see other teams in this area especially our district.

To footballfan5261-- I had one boys game as well, and to Bobcat05- Ang Green now has 2,014 career pts. She was 8 away at the start of the night and scored 22. I'm not sure anyone outside the media can understand what it's like to try and cover all of the teams in our viewing area. We please some and not others and that's the unfortunate part. I love local sports and it's the whole reason I have a job and I love what I do. Next week I could cover Orangefield or Kountze or Vidor. It doesn't matter... the fact is we can not cover everyone all the time and that IS too bad. It's the reason I read through so many scores on a basketball night. That's the only way I can give coverage to the masses and believe me I have people that complain about that.

To footballfan5261-- I had one boys game as well, and to Bobcat05- Ang Green now has 2,014 career pts. She was 8 away at the start of the night and scored 22. I'm not sure anyone outside the media can understand what it's like to try and cover all of the teams in our viewing area. We please some and not others and that's the unfortunate part. I love local sports and it's the whole reason I have a job and I love what I do. Next week I could cover Orangefield or Kountze or Vidor. It doesn't matter... the fact is we can not cover everyone all the time and that IS too bad. It's the reason I read through so many scores on a basketball night. That's the only way I can give coverage to the masses and believe me I have people that complain about that.

Mike, I appreciate what you guys do. I can't imagine what you guys have to go through on a weekly basis. You are right, you can't cover them all. I am realizing that myself with me doing the Game of the Week broadcasts for Setxsports. I am trying to spread the wealth as much as I can, but try to bring the most exciting and important games is the priority. I have gotten a few " why don't you broadcast our games ". Believe me, I do understand where you are coming from and mine is on a much smaller scale ( not for long, hopefully ).

You guys keep up the good work, it is greatly appreciated. What you guys can't get, we here at Setxsports will pick up the slack. ;D

Some folks have a serious misconception about the caliber of basketball these girls play.I travel all over southeast texas watching games and have been very impressed with the level at which some of these young ladies play.I did see several news stories over the past few weeks covering the girls area teams.This is great for the ladies and long over due.However it is starting to be addressed.It's just a matter of time with the caliber of players and coaches on the girls side of the sport they start getting the recognition they deserve.

Guest bleed orange

I do not have a problem with the TV stations. I know they cannot cover every game. Its the beaumont enterprise I am upset with. They do not do a very good job of covering basketball. Again, the Orange Leader does a much better job. ???

didnt mean for that to come off wrong. i was only wondering.

May I make a suggestion?  If you didn't run your friday night blitz for football season you would be hearing it then also. Why not continue it for basketball are even the entire year so you can cover the area teams better. Even get fans to send in miny video's and stats. If you only ask I know many fans who would do what ever they could to help.

Great now at least we know where to start. Next we would need to know if the Sponsers were there would you be willing to do it, and if so how can we help with the sponers and maybe get this thing rolling. TOGEATHER WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD and then everyone else will follow. But, please remember this will have to be for girls also.Please anyone else reading- reply so they know I'm not alone.Speak for the girls who don't seem to have a voice.

Guest bleed orange

You are not alone Jdad. I am sure most of you read the Beaumont Enterprise today. There was two articles, one on the Kountze boys and the other on the Central boys.

If any one reads this from the Beaumont enterprise, what will it take for you guys to print more articles on girls and boys basketball? Do the coaches send in a game summary? If not, if they do will you print it? You guys do a great job in football but you are terrible in basketball. Box scores don't count. They do not take up very much room in a scrap book.

In orange county we do not need you guys. We have a very good News paper that writes an article on all the teams. No matter what sport. Quit putting the Wildcatters on the front page. Who cares, nobody in Beaumont does. Look at the attendance. Buy the way setx, its about time you put a spell check on here.

I do appreciate Mike and channel 6...they seem to do a better job at covering girls athletics than most.  I have a daughter..and son....and love friday nite football more than most....but when the girls are on the court its nice for them to be recognized now and then.

Thanks for what we DO get...and help us to recognize them more if possible!

you might want to save your breath on this one. This has been tried before. Consider how much coverage the Lamar Cardinal basketball program gets and it is D1. Now watch out if they vote football back in at Lamar. There wont be any problem getting coverage. Are you getting my drift. BB is just the ugly stepchild here in texas, FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL

You have to understand the football mentality. Even a great basketball program will be overshadowed by football. Its just the way it is. ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn