J'Covan Brown OUT for the SEASON!!

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

According to my guy Jim Hicks at RCS Sports J'Covan Brown may not suit up again for PA Memorial this year.  He stated that Brown's father has pretty much confirmed the info...What do you guys think about THIS development?

Guest DickVitale

Well do you think this may affect the Memorial kids positively or negatively? Were some actually just holding the ship up until his return OR were they just hating the uncertainty hanging over their heads? Just a little thought provoking conversation to go with your morning coffee!! ;)

Guest DickVitale

Long story short, he walked off the court during the Humble game back in December, he argued with the coach after the game, and Henderson suspended him indefinitely. Now it is permanent, from what I gather...

Those kids like the opportunity to show case their talents... They are probally relieved that they have an opportunity to shoot now...  They have been more competitive without him and the kids are getting better.  They actually make lay-ups now....  I wish Brown the best on the next level.... But this was needed to humble him. 

It's sad but sometimes you have to show tough love. I still don't understand how a kid could have that kind of problems in a sport and a dad can't fix the problem. In my day, we were scared to talk back to the coaches. I demand that my kids respect their coaches (even if the coach is wrong:) I saw my junior high coach literally hit a guy in the mouth when the student bucked up to him. Talk about getting respect.

Guest DickVitale

Yeah, BLUEDOVE, those were the good ol days!! :D..It is a different day though, and coaches have to try other methods, and I think this is a good move for his overall program, AND a GREAT lifetime lesson for J'Covan...Maybe he will take the lesson to the next level..You made a great point, too, by the way... ;)

I have to weigh in on this topic.  I applaud the coach for sticking to his guns and I chastise the dad for not disciplining the kid.  I always try to give the benefit of the doubt, especially when it comes to kids.  "Hopefully" this will open this kid's eyes.  I would really hate to think that he will carry attitude problems with him on into college and beyond.  If that happens then he will soon be forgotten. 

i'm sure he'll be doing his indvidual workouts to improve his game and athletic ability no sweat off his back he's already committed

I would've been devestated if i wasn't able to play my senior year of high school.  as for that commitment, I'm sure that we're not the only people who have heard about this incident.  in college the whole program's success is not going to be decided by whether or not he plays, and that's something that he better learn quick.  If he keeps up the antics and the attitude, he'll be off the team so quick his head will be spinning, although he could probably always come back to lamar...

There seems to be some general understanding that Brown's dad sat back and did nothing.   Parents can't always control their kids behaviour.  Maybe he has tried, without success.   Please don't put the blame on the dad unless you truly know something that everyone else doesn't.

There seems to be some general understanding that Brown's dad sat back and did nothing.   Parents can't always control their kids behaviour.  Maybe he has tried, without success.   Please don't put the blame on the dad unless you truly know something that everyone else doesn't.

Daddy is to blame!

i'm sure he'll be doing his individual workouts to improve his game and athletic ability no sweat off his back he's already committed

I would've been devastated if i wasn't able to play my senior year of high school.  as for that commitment, I'm sure that we're not the only people who have heard about this incident.  in college the whole program's success is not going to be decided by whether or not he plays, and that's something that he better learn quick.  If he keeps up the antics and the attitude, he'll be off the team so quick his head will be spinning, although he could probably always come back to Lamar...

You can bet if he still has the offer to Texas, Rick Barnes will not put up with a disrespectfull attitude.

Guest DickVitale

College coaches can't AFFORD to put up with that. Their jobs are on the line, and coaches lose jobs behind discipline problems.  I hope he gets it together before going to Austin, because Rick Barnes is not going for it!

Guest HoopsDad

Daddy is to blame!

Nope. Sorry to tell you but you're wrong. Sure, he mouthed off and here's something that nobody has said about J'Covan.....he apologized to his teammates. He didn't aplogize to his coach. The kid has his principles and he's sticking to them. That's admirable. Although I don't agree with him not apologizing to Henderson he is at least sticking to his guns. His dad is a good man and he has taught his sons well. I do know for a fact that Henderson was not happy that J'Covan chose UT  instead of Oklahoma State. Brown's not playing could be the result of a battle of wills and sour grapes.

Guest DickVitale

You are going to uphold a kid who was obviously wrong? Wow....Coach Henderson will have another season to coach, J'Covan will never be able to get his senior year in high school back...Sticking to his guns? Thats just dumb.....sorry. :o

To me that is part of the entire problem, we look at kids and say good job, way to stick to your guns rather that you selfish brat, look at how little you respect your coaches, teammates, and yourself.  The kid had incredible talent but can't get his head out of his butt long enough to realize this is a team sport..  How many guys do you know that have the opportunity that this kid has yet he could wind up playing pick up games at the Y because he thinks he knows it all.  What a waste of God given ability!  Stick to your guns Coach Henderson!

To me that is part of the entire problem, we look at kids and say good job, way to stick to your guns rather that you selfish brat, look at how little you respect your coaches, teammates, and yourself.  The kid had incredible talent but can't get his head out of his butt long enough to realize this is a team sport..  How many guys do you know that have the opportunity that this kid has yet he could wind up playing pick up games at the Y because he thinks he knows it all.  What a waste of God given ability!  Stick to your guns Coach Henderson!

Very well put!!! All that talent and he's eventually going to throw it all away. This situation right here is only step 1 of what's to come, which is him being just an average joe, working the 9 to 5. As far as the dad goes, you can't blame him for J'Covan's attitude....J'covan is a young man and should be able to control his own actions and not have someone do it for him, that's what you do with a little kid 6 or 7 years old, not a 18 or 19 yr old......right now he's acting like a young BOY!!! GROW UP!!! I give him 1 year at UT, hopefully he can prove me wrong but from what I've seen and heard of him this year I don't see him fixing anything. Man this is SAD!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder