New coach hits Baytown running

Guest SETXsports.comNews

Guest SETXsports.comNews

New coach hits Baytown running

By Dave Rogers

Published January 6, 2008

The coach is coming. The coach is coming.

Bret Boyd, the head football coach and campus athletic coordinator at Goose Creek Memorial High School, officially starts to work Tuesday when classes resume in district schools after the holidays.

But Boyd is moving into a trailer in Baytown today and will be meeting many of his future athletes and their parents Monday evening, when the district hosts a 90-minute get-acquainted reception at 5 p.m. at the Sterling High School cafeteria.

“All students and parents of Goose Creek Memorial are invited, but I think the event will be of most interest to the athletes of Goose Creek Memorial,†says Al Richard, principal of Baytown’s third public high school, which is set to open in August.

Boyd has been head coach/campus coordinator at Killeen Ellison High School the past seven years. His wife, Brenda, teaches in the Killeen schools.

So he says that he’ll live in his brother-in-law’s fifth-wheel travel trailer until his wife joins him in Baytown this summer.

“When I first moved to Killeen, I lived in the fieldhouse until my wife was able to come,†Boyd recalled Saturday. “Here, there is no fieldhouse, yet.â€

The coach just ended his tenure at Killeen Friday. That district began its spring term Wednesday.

“Friday was my last day there,†he said. “I boxed up my office and put it in my pickup, and I’ll haul it down there (today).â€

Richard said Boyd will have an office in the E.F. Green Center, across the street from Sterling High School, until the new school on Garth and Wallisville Roads is ready to move into.

That will put him close to the 80 ninth- and 10th-grade athletes at Sterling who are planning to transfer to Memorial.

“Only 30 students at Lee High School are going to transfer to Goose Creek Memorial,†Richard said, “and none of them are athletes.â€

Boyd will officially meet his new players Tuesday, during athletic period. Sterling athletes planning to transfer will have a separate athletic period from those who are staying with the Rangers.

“Off-season as we know it will be modified this year,†Boyd said. “The first thing I want to do is meet the kids and get to know them. Then we’ll test them and get them entered into a computer program we use.

“We want to spend this winter teaching terminology and walking through formations. But the big thing now will be getting them on a steady weight and conditioning program.â€

The coach wasn’t sure who would help him with the athletes at first, although he’s hoping some middle school coaches from Highlands or Gentry will be available.

Plans are for his new defensive coordinator to be on board by Jan. 14, but the coach, who has been tentatively hired, still has some paperwork hurdles to clear.

“I’m hoping to get a couple more coaches here by spring break,†Boyd said. “I’ve got four or five guys on my staff at Killeen who want to come. If things go right, hopefully they’ll come.â€

The new Baytown coach said his phone has rung constantly since he was hired Dec. 10.

“I’ve gotten calls from other football coaches who are interested in coming, but I’ve also got calls from softball coaches, basketball coaches and others,†Boyd said. “I’m gathering resumes and I’m in the process of asking them to put in their applications.â€

Besides the high school athletic period, Boyd wants to meet those at his feeder schools, Highlands and Gentry Junior schools.

“I’m hoping to work my schedule so I can get over to the middle schools during the day, too,†he said. “I want to go wherever the kids are.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124