*Spurger 71 Onalaska 40 Final/Comments

I dont care who Spurger plays as long as team keeps showing improvements.This team has played quality clubs.Done well in few and a few they took there lumps.Its called growing pains for young team.All that matters is district play and from what I see, that is all these guys are working for. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I think this is a home and away series for Spurger and has been for several years.Can't fault Spurger for that ,it hasn't been but a couple of years Onalaska was pretty good.Probably won't get much out of Chester but hey those kids gotta play somebody.Enjoy the win Pirates.

What is to be seen is how this team does over all. Spurger's coach has had quailty players since he has been there, yet he has not been to post season play. From my seat, he has taken players that have been playing together for several years and breaks them up into some grand coaching experiment. Yet, his results are what they are. No post season play. It appears again that he has taken a group of players that have been together for several years and split them up. Time will tell if this experiment works. His  own record is against him on this. This is by far the best overall team he has had. Hopefully he will make the most of it.

What is to be seen is how this team does over all. Spurger's coach has had quailty players since he has been there, yet he has not been to post season play. From my seat, he has taken players that have been playing together for several years and breaks them up into some grand coaching experiment. Yet, his results are what they are. No post season play. It appears again that he has taken a group of players that have been together for several years and split them up. Time will tell if this experiment works. His  own record is against him on this. This is by far the best overall team he has had. Hopefully he will make the most of it.

WOW!!! totally agree.  :o  How many games have you got to see this season?  ???

it was an easy win , and i believe you gotta play tough pre district games to be ready for district, cuz when that starts, it doesnt matter what your record was, district is a new season, and thats the one that counts, i gotta give phillip credit, that cat was on fire, everyone did good and got some pt, spurgers got a well rounded club...so i guess well see where they go, and yes, this is gonna be one of spurgers best years, so good luck ;) ;) ;) ;)

He has had good teams, but so has everyone else. 2001 Evadale State Champions. Back then having to compete with Evadale and Big Sandy was not a good situation. 2004, 2005 Burkeville and Broaddus were ranked in the top 10 all year (Broaddus was #1 & Burkeville almost beat Bogoata. Bogota went on to win the state championship). Last year, West Hardin and Big Sandy were great. I wouldn't say quality, heck they didn't even practice after school when he first got there.  I would do my research on teams before I would bad mouth a coach.

He has had good teams, but so has everyone else. 2001 Evadale State Champions. Back then having to compete with Evadale and Big Sandy was not a good situation. 2004, 2005 Burkeville and Broaddus were ranked in the top 10 all year (Broaddus was #1 & Burkeville almost beat Bogoata. Bogota went on to win the state championship). Last year, West Hardin and Big Sandy were great. I wouldn't say quality, heck they didn't even practice after school when he first got there.  I would do my research on teams before I would bad mouth a coach.

You got most of your info from the coach about the early years because I know you personally was not here. You have the other schools and how good they was wright at least. What most of us that lives here see is that his tear them down and build them back up is not working. Its been 5 or 6 years now and  he has not had one team that he's coached respond his way and go all out for him.His motivation is ( your not ready, your playing like a girl,your weak,) and this is while the game is going on. LU you know this because you where for what a year and a half.

Actually I was at one of the other schools in the district. I have never coached at Spurger. When I was down there Spurger didn't have the best reputation as a place someone would want to be and Spurger wasn't very good then. His approach is the same approach I use.  There are a lot of things a coach can't control. If you don't like the job he's doing, why don't you try and get a coaching job ? Until then, how about supporting your team. They are winning now and you want to talk about the past. wow.

Larry does a good job with the club.A coach will never satisfy all the kids or parents,that's the down side of coaching.Schedules vary from year to year because you can't forecast teams strengths in 1-a basketball 2 years ahead which is when home and away scedules are set.He definitely had them ready to play this year when they came to Warren.The biggest challenge for any of the non football school is peaking to early.I think that is what has happened to Spurger a couple of times over the last few years.While the future looks bright for Spurger this years team success will depend on Whittacre and Sheffield(Seniors),it's not fair to the coach or the kids to expect miracles out of The freshman group.They will be in the playoffs this year.JMO.

Big Sandy and Broaddus are still good. :D :D

I agree with WHSALUM.  Spurger is looking good!  Phillip and Pate are the cornerstones of the team.  THey will lead them, and I beleive will do a great job this season.  I also agree that people should not expect miracles from the freshman, but also want to say that they contribute a lot to the team. It is not unusual for younger classmen to be the week links on a team.  However, in this group I think they are strong all the way from seniors down to fish.  The level of play stays strong at all times. It takes a whole team to win. Think the program is doing great and am very excited about it!  Don't know why people are being so negative.  I say just enjoy the ride!  It's looking great so far.  Keep it up boys!  :)

I agree with WHSALUM.  Spurger is looking good!  Phillip and Pate are the cornerstones of the team.  THey will lead them, and I beleive will do a great job this season.  I also agree that people should not expect miracles from the freshman, but also want to say that they contribute a lot to the team. It is not unusual for younger classmen to be the week links on a team.  However, in this group I think they are strong all the way from seniors down to fish.  The level of play stays strong at all times. It takes a whole team to win. Think the program is doing great and am very excited about it!  Don't know why people are being so negative.  I say just enjoy the ride!  It's looking great so far.  Keep it up boys!  :)

Way to go Spurger Boys ( Phillip, J.T, Pate, John, Daniel, Chase, George, & Shain) As of today December 8, the team is 10-3, 3rd place Broaddus Tourny & 2nd place Deweyville Tourny.  The boys have been not at their best the last few games, but today they woke up and played very well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476