*Nederland 64 Silsbee 61 Final/Comments*

KFDM COOP

First of all, let me say congrats to Nederland. You guys played hard. I wish you the best this season. To the Lady Tigers, we are still proud of ya'll. Not many teams can be without  Brittany Henry, Chelsye Tyler, Raynisha Washington, Chasisty Gilder, and as of the first quarter Mary Moody (who had to leave for stitches by her eye) and still even compete. These are five of your top players that you were counting on. From what I've seen of Coach Killam over the past year+ I know he'll find a way for the Lady Tigers to still be competitive until some of our girls are healed up. Ang, you had to battle through double and triple teams but you'd better get ready for more of the same in games to come. This should make you a better player. To the rest of the teams we'll be playing, even with our girls out we are still dangerous... remember Nederland only beat us by three points despite their advantages. When some of our girls get back we should be even better than before all the injuries. Some of you younger girls are getting some good playing experience. So keep your heads up and play with heart and class. We as Silsbee fans are behind you!

Guest tigersvoice

Silsbee played with 7 people after another on of their players went down & has to have stitches.

Nederland played really well & never gave up after they were way down in the first. Silsbee just needs to get healthy and have more scoring. They are relying on Ang to always dig them out.

Good point Embassasor, Silsbee is putting way too much pressure on Ang Green.  Here is the summary.  Silsbee suited up 8 players for this varsity game due to injuries, ineligibility and all the things that a high school coach has to contend with.  A Silsbee starter at post

went out early in the second quarter along with one of Nederland's starters as the result of a collision between the two players.  The Silsbee player (who is my neighbor) went to ER and at last word was awaiting a Plastic Surgeon to examine the gash over her eye.  I don't have word on the Nederland player as to the extent of her injury.  She seemed to be bleeding the most of the two players at the time.  I do not mean to get anyone upset with this report but just trying to recite the events of the evening.  At the end of the first quarter Silsbee was leading 25 - 10 and had a larger margin than that before the quarter ended.  Nederland would not fold and at the end of the second quarter Silsbee led 40 - 28.

Fouls became a problem for Silsbee.  At the end of the second quarter Silsbee had 12 fouls

on 5 players.  Nederland at that time had 12 fouls on 7 people.  Keep in mind that Silsbee has only 7 players able to play at this point.  Open the 3rd quarter and Silsbee can't buy a basket - tightening up due to Nederland's defensive pressure, having to lay off on defense because of the foul situation, and just seeing/feeling a swing in momentum in the game.

Nederland scored 19 points in the third period - Silsbee scored 12.  At the end of three it's Silsbee up 52 - 47.  Nederland's confidence is almost visible now.  Silsbee still had to play at arm's length because of fouls and still couldn't find a basket.  Fourth quarter - Nederland is loose and getting the best play out of their squad of the entire game.  Nederland scored 17 points by 5 players in the fourth - very good work.  Silsbee scored 9 points in the fourth quarter - all by Ang Green.  Ang Green is a GREAT person, a GREAT player, and a GREAT talent - but she cannot carry the entire Silsbee team on her back for the season.  Silsbee ended the game with one player having fouled out (as did Nederland) four other players with 4 fouls each and two more players with a foul each.  That accounts for the 7 Silsbee players that were still standing at the end of the game.  Congratulations to Nederland for NEVER thinking they were out of the game - and then came back to prove it.  Great job Ang Green for Silsbee!!.  I cannot believe how very COLD that second half basket became.  Ang was one of the Silsbee players with 4 fouls - along with her game high 29 points.  Sierra Wilson for Silsbee had a very good game.  She, too, had 4 fouls and a career high of 22 points.  Silsbee just needs to get their players well, eligible and refocused on success.

Update - just heard from the Mother of the Silsbee player at the ER.  She took seven stitches to close the cut and will see the Plastic Surgeon tomorrow.  I guess those guys don't watch high shool basketball or come out at night.  Recap - Nederland has got some spunk but I would have to see more teams in their district to make any kind of prediction.  Silsbee will be Silsbee.  We are not as tall as we were last year but, as the expression goes, they start covering you when you get off the bus and 'Game on'!

Guest Ricthepic

Congrats the the Lady Bulldogs on the win. I believe everyone on the board knows now that Silsbee had some players out. I wonder how those girls that did represent Silsbee High School so well, feel after reading that the only reason Nederland won was because of the players that DID NOT play. Don't cheapen the effort by the Lady Tigers or the Lady Bulldogs by claiming the only reason Nederland won was because of injuries. Here's to the success of both programs.

No one has cheapened the effort at all. It's just a fact, face it. I am pretty sure anyone with any basketball knowledge can see this clearly. Take 4 starters from the Nederland team and see what happens.

Regardless, it goes down in the record books as a Nederland win, and that's what counts. Time will tell who the better team will be. My money is on Silsbee.

Awesome game.  Both teams made a grand effort but Nederland was the winner and those commenting about the lack of Silsbee players suiting up is an insult to both programs.  On any given day, regardless of district ranking, any team can pull a win.  Whether a player is out for injury, sickness or grades, it doesn't matter, what matters is the effort put forth by the players in the game.  Just a note...I watched the Silsbee v. Church Hill game in the Bulldog open and the most of the starters in that tournament showed up for Tuesday nights game so to say that all the players not present at that game where the reason for the loss is like telling the other Silsbee players they aren't good enough.  Not fair, not right and just wrong.  Silsbee & Nederland both have young teams and I look forward to a rematch next season.  Special congrats to Ang Green of Silsbee and Savanah Desmarais of Nederland for superb performances. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder