Homeless in Lumberton

5GallonBucket

If you ask me, this all started to get bad when soccer moms started filming themselves giving handouts to the homeless.  If they came to town and struck out (like those black people that tried to solicit donations at the four way in Mauriceville) they'll move onto greener pastures.   It's all of those "Be Kind" people that draw them in... it's like feeding those birds in the parking lots in Beaumont.  At the end of the day you just have a bunch more birds and everybody's car gets pooped upon.    

7 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

My understanding is that you have to apply for your permit if you'll be camping on private property for more than 48 hours.  I don't think you need one if you'll be camping for less than 48 hours.... and i took it to mean that you didn't have to have a permit before you started camping....just before 48 hours has elapsed. 

That’s how I took it

i don’t live in Lumberton but wouldn’t  happen on my property not even a second of camping PERIOD

Lumberton gonna end up like Bmt 

citizens better stand their ground

48 hours….who is the idiot that came up with that

Anyone who wishes to camp on private property has a 48-hour period to which they can apply for a city permit with the Lumberton Police Department.

TVC......Wouldn't this be simple trespassing?  I'm curious what they mean by private property.  How could the city issue a permit for private property?   Did I read this wrong?

Sorry, not sure why text so large

Edited by thetragichippy

7 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

Anyone who wishes to camp on private property has a 48-hour period to which they can apply for a city permit with the Lumberton Police Department.

TVC......Wouldn't this be simple trespassing?  I'm curious what they mean by private property.  How could the city issue a permit for private property?   Did I read this wrong?

Sorry, not sure why text so large

Trespassing requires that a person has been given “notice “ not to trespass.

But… Texas law defines what qualifies as a notice. Obviously if someone tells you to leave, that is notice. It is also notice if someone putd up a sign that says, get off my lawn!!

However, so is purple paint on trees marking a property line, fencing that is obviously intended to exclude intruders, fencing that obviously is intended to hold cattle or merely crops ready for harvest with no fencing or sign, etc.

Just as an example, lets say you are carrying a rifle which is legal but you cut across a watermelon patch with some melons ready to be picked. That is up to a year in jail for trespassing with a deadly weapon because you were given notice  

But, just being on someone’s property without permission is not trespassing unless the person has been given a warning like the ones listed. 

Speaking of trespassing, typically trespassing carries up to six months in a county jail or as previously mentioned, up to a year if carrying a deadly weapon.

Any person in Lumberton or anywhere else whether an individual or a business, can have the police warning a person not to come back and if they do, file charges. The law does not require the police to witness such a warning but it gives a little more credibility if the police were there when the warning was given.

A City ordinance is a fine only.