2022: 17-5a Volleyball Standings / Scores / Playoff Scores

21 minutes ago, KF89 said:

No jets too cool, just gave Nederland team credit for getting a solid upset win over the top team in 5A. No disrespect to BH was stated at all, still one of the top vball programs in the state. Injuries & playing different lineups because of it are part of every teams season, so if you want to use it as excuses to down play the Nederland ladies beating BH & blame the loss with your opinion on the BH ladies in the lineup cool. I am positive the BH coaches will not. Wish BH & Nederland a good playoff run.

Mike "The Jet" Hiltz😎

After seeing these posts I pulled up Nederland's youtube video of the game....and all I have to say is WOW.  Major props to the Nederland girls for getting the win, their coach had them prepared and ready to play.   They executed their strategies and game plan better than BH did, kept it simple and direct. Even though BH still arguably had more player talent on the court, Nederland for sure won the coaching battle.

On the other hand, it definitely looked like the BH team was completely unprepared to play with their new lineups. Looked like they were missing their main setter and couple of net players, but that isn't a real excuse.  A team of this level should be able to go more than one deep at any position, that deficiency falls on coaching and development.  Not sure what BH's game plan was, if they even had one, but it didn't work.  On multiple instances, in all sets, the BH offense just looked lost...WAY too many junior high level mistakes.

Just the facts here from looking at maxpreps:

When they played the first time at full strength -BH won 25-12, 25-15, 25-14.  A Blowout in volleyball.

BH had not lost a set in two years in district and only one time this year had anyone scored over 20 in a one set.

BH had not lost since playing in a tournament to a top 10 6A school in August. 

BH has only lost to one 5A team in the last two years before yesterday and that was to the state final 4 Manvel team last year.

Yesterdays game had no bearing on seeding for playoffs with all teams locked into their positions which in effect made it meaningless.

BH was without their starting setter/QB, a starting MH and a starting OH. Had the season been on the line, would these players have played? Maybe, but it wasn't.

Last night, out of the blue and against all statistical data they lose 3 out of 4 sets trying to fill those gaps on a last minute basis.

Sets 1 and 4 were decided with extra points meaning they could have gone either way. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say missing the starters was the difference lol. 

One can argue many different things but those are the facts.

58 minutes ago, Steven Avery said:

Just the facts here from looking at maxpreps:

When they played the first time at full strength -BH won 25-12, 25-15, 25-14.  A Blowout in volleyball.

BH had not lost a set in two years in district and only one time this year had anyone scored over 20 in a one set.

BH had not lost since playing in a tournament to a top 10 6A school in August. 

BH has only lost to one 5A team in the last two years before yesterday and that was to the state final 4 Manvel team last year.

Yesterdays game had no bearing on seeding for playoffs with all teams locked into their positions which in effect made it meaningless.

BH was without their starting setter/QB, a starting MH and a starting OH. Had the season been on the line, would these players have played? Maybe, but it wasn't.

Last night, out of the blue and against all statistical data they lose 3 out of 4 sets trying to fill those gaps on a last minute basis.

Sets 1 and 4 were decided with extra points meaning they could have gone either way. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say missing the starters was the difference lol. 

One can argue many different things but those are the facts.

Not understanding this explaining & excuses from BH fans over a post giving Nederland team & coaches positive credit on a win over #1 BH? Not arguing anything or with anyone? BH is a top Houston area program that is hard to beat, with quality depth every year. Maybe you believe BH backups are not that good, but imo they are solid players with great skills capable of beating good teams. The only facts that matter in the books is #3 seed Nederland beat #1 seed & #1 state ranked 5A BH last night in a vball match. I hope the BH starters that were sick get well & the BH team takes things serious since it won't be meaningless in the playoffs. 

Like I said before Best Wishes to a great BH team on a successful playoff run & possible state title. 

Mike Hiltz

Serious question here. Will BH be able to get them to pause the playoffs until their players are able to return?  That way there are no excuses and everything will be on a level playing field. Word is on the street that they are the only team in the State of Texas to have a players off injured or that’s just what I heard. 

My 2 cents…that game was good for both teams. Nederland gets a confidence boost heading into a tough 1st round game against Friendswood. Frankly, BH probably needed to lose before playoffs. They haven’t really been tested since preseason. Got it over with, know they are beatable, and they will for sure use that as fuel going into a long playoff run. Regardless of the situation/lineups, win win for both teams. 

2 minutes ago, Pkvalt said:

My 2 cents…that game was good for both teams. Nederland gets a confidence boost heading into a tough 1st round game against Friendswood. Frankly, BH probably needed to lose before playoffs. They haven’t really been tested since preseason. Got it over with, know they are beatable, and they will for sure use that as fuel going into a long playoff run. Regardless of the situation/lineups, win win for both teams. 

Agree.  BH will be just fine for the playoffs, at least the first two rounds.  Last night proved that they are thin at a very critical position, but at full strength they will be okay.  Congrats to Nederland on the win.  They should celebrate and enjoy it while they can, because their reward is a Friendswood team that is as equally talented as a full strength BH squad.

16 minutes ago, Pkvalt said:

I agree, nice post.👍

50 minutes ago, Volleyball parent 77 said:

Serious question here. Will BH be able to get them to pause the playoffs until their players are able to return?  That way there are no excuses and everything will be on a level playing field. Word is on the street that they are the only team in the State of Texas to have a players off injured or that’s just what I heard. 

You joined just to say that? Let me know when the parade is and when you will hang the banner for this game, I hope its before next Tuesday though because it will be basketball season on Wed. 

44 minutes ago, kenny powers said:

You joined just to say that? Let me know when the parade is and when you will hang the banner for this game, I hope its before next Tuesday though because it will be basketball season on Wed. 

It's all good Mr. Powers, no reason to be bitter or even acknowledge Nederland's banner hanging parents for a meaningless district win over BH's backups. But a win & positive momentum from an undefeated district championship would have been nice going into the playoffs..... 

1 hour ago, kenny powers said:

Wow!  Is your ego really that big that you feel the need to be ugly?  

There will be no banner, no parade, but damn is Nederland wrong to celebrate a win?  Isn’t our celebration a compliment to the BH program?

Don’t all teams suffer from having starters out at some point in the season?  Do those losses get some special asterisk throughout everyone’s season or is a win a win?

All these posts from the Nederland side has been of good will just proud of our girls and wishing BH genuine good luck in the playoffs.  Then there’s this, you anticipating our loss.

These are just high school kids who deserve to be praised for a game well played!  Sorry, it offends you so personally.

3 hours ago, Pkvalt said:

. Frankly, BH probably needed to lose before playoffs. They haven’t really been tested since preseason. Got it over with, know they are beatable, and they will for sure use that as fuel going into a long playoff run. 

Totally right. A lot of people don't get this, but I actually want my team(s) to lose a game before the playoffs, as long as it does not affect seeding or something. Then of course, no. A team with a bloody nose usually takes it out on their next opponent, and a team without so much as a scratch on them can think they are untouchable, just before they get knocked out.  Few people will agree with me I know.  

On 10/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, KF89 said:

Not understanding this explaining & excuses from BH fans over a post giving Nederland team & coaches positive credit on a win over #1 BH? Not arguing anything or with anyone? BH is a top Houston area program that is hard to beat, with quality depth every year. Maybe you believe BH backups are not that good, but imo they are solid players with great skills capable of beating good teams. The only facts that matter in the books is #3 seed Nederland beat #1 seed & #1 state ranked 5A BH last night in a vball match. I hope the BH starters that were sick get well & the BH team takes things serious since it won't be meaningless in the playoffs. 

Like I said before Best Wishes to a great BH team on a successful playoff run & possible state title. 

Mike Hiltz

@KF89High school volleyball publication prep dig wrote a recap on the game and captured the significance of the absences while also giving Nederland credit. I don't see that as an excuse like you worded it but it is relevant to the story. I see you are a baseball guy Mike so, if you lost your starting pitcher, catcher and SS the day before a playoff game , I would think you would agree that the team you put on the field was not the same. The facts and data points that I listed point out the the reality of the situation had BH been fully healthy. It doesn't mean the backups aren't "good"  or wont be good potentially in the future but it is not a one for one substitution. Again had it been 1 absence ok, but 3 the day before is pretty extreme to be ignored or to be prepared for. I hope none of the playoff teams have to deal with sickness like that but I think it will be a factor into the playoffs as my understanding is it (Flu and Strep Throat) is hitting all area high schools hard.   BH had to cancel their playoff warmup game last night for the same reasons.

With that said, the playoff matches are set. Good luck to both teams as they attempt to represent the district well.

BH vs Galveston Ball 6pm at Lee College

Sterling vs Santa Fe 6pm at Clear Lake HS

Nederland vs Friendswood 7pm at GCM

Manvel vs Crosby 5:30pm at Sam Rayburn HS

Full Article link 

This is the hidden content, please

Snipit

prep-dig.png

1 hour ago, Steven Avery said:

@KF89High school volleyball publication prep dig wrote a recap on the game and captured the significance of the absences while also giving Nederland credit. I don't see that as an excuse like you worded it but it is relevant to the story. I see you are a baseball guy Mike so, if you lost your starting pitcher, catcher and SS the day before a playoff game , I would think you would agree that the team you put on the field was not the same. The facts and data points that I listed point out the the reality of the situation had BH been fully healthy. It doesn't mean the backups aren't "good"  or wont be good potentially in the future but it is not a one for one substitution. Again had it been 1 absence ok, but 3 the day before is pretty extreme to be ignored or to be prepared for. I hope none of the playoff teams have to deal with sickness like that but I think it will be a factor into the playoffs as my understanding is it (Flu and Strep Throat) is hitting all area high schools hard.   BH had to cancel their playoff warmup game last night for the same reasons.

With that said, the playoff matches are set. Good luck to both teams as they attempt to represent the district well.

BH vs Galveston Ball 6pm at Lee College

Sterling vs Santa Fe 6pm at Clear Lake HS

Nederland vs Friendswood 7pm at GCM

Manvel vs Crosby 5:30pm at Sam Rayburn HS

Full Article link 

Snipit

All this over a simple post giving Nederland players & coaches congrats on winning a district game vs. a very good team which I include their subs because these girls are good also imo. BH was on a roll & going for an undefeated district season. Beating them was a solid accomplishment & hopefully a momentum builder for the Nederland. Vball program .
No negativity towards BH was said or intended, not sure why some BH posters need  to make it big issue & just not take it as a loss instead of basically blaming the 3 girls subbing & the coaches not having time to prepare for this type of issue. As far as baseball goes been in those situations a few times & when we lost did not blame the the subs or not having time to prepare all my players for the game. Win as a team lose as a team. It’s all good, BH is still a great vball program & will continue to win a lot of games for a long time. Nederland just trying to work to get close to that level & a win over BH helps. Like I said before I am positive the BH coaches are not blaming the loss on subs or making any other excuse. I saw their intensity & passion coaching the games & it did not look like it was meaningless to them or BH players. 

On 10/29/2022 at 12:49 PM, KF89 said:

No negativity towards BH was said or intended, not sure why some BH posters need  to make it big issue & just not take it as a loss instead of basically blaming the 3 girls subbing & the coaches not having time to prepare for this type of issue. 

No negativity? There certainly was negativity about BH. Notice the snark about "pausing the playoffs for BH"? And "Word on the street" about BH the only team in TX that has injuries? BH did not ask for that. 

KF89, when a poster simply adds important details, that's not "making excuses".  I agree with Avery. In the football forum if a team lost a QB, RB, DE and LB all at once wouldn't that be a very important item and be discussed at length? Of course it would.  Simply discussing it and adding pertinent factual details is not "making excuses". Why doesn't BH ever get the benefit of the doubt on SETXSports? 

2 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

No negativity? There certainly was negativity about BH. Notice the snark about "pausing the playoffs for BH"? And "Word on the street" about BH the only team in TX that has injuries? BH did not ask for that. 

KF89, when a poster simply adds important details, that's not "making excuses".  I agree with Avery. In the football forum if a team lost a QB, RB, DE and LB all at once wouldn't that be a very important item and be discussed at length? Of course it would.  Simply discussing it and adding pertinent factual details is not "making excuses". Why doesn't BH ever get the benefit of the doubt on SETXSports? 

Those are not my posts you are quoting. Quote whoever posted those comments & discuss at length with them over the reasons BH lost the game. I know why the game was won & lost.  My posts simply gave credit to Ned players\coaches for the win over a quality BH program\coach nothing more, nothing less. I can go back & edit my original post & add 3 starters for BH were out ill, the game was meaningless for BH & BH coach was using rotations that were destined for failure is the only reason Nederland won if you like? 

The only factual details that matter at the end of the day about this game is the Nederland team on the floor that night won over the team BH put on the floor that night. 

I have given BH vball, softball, basketball etc. credit numerous times for their success on setxsports, not sure what benefit of the doubt you asking for?

2 minutes ago, KF89 said:

Those are not my posts you are quoting

First, I didn't say they were. 

Several here perceived Avery as trying to discredit Ned's win. He simply did not. He just added pertinent information, and the worst was assumed. No benefit of the doubt. 

As staff, I don't know how on earth you don't think people take shots at BH and BH posters. Just read the football forum the last few years. We are used to it.     

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

First, I didn't say they were. 

Several here perceived Avery as trying to discredit Ned's win. He simply did not. He just added pertinent information, and the worst was assumed. No benefit of the doubt. 

As staff, I don't know how on earth you don't think people take shots at BH and BH posters. Just read the football forum the last few years. We are used to it.     

Nederland won the game with a full strength team, BH lost the game missing 3 starters. It's over. Don't Worry Be Happy. 

Final District Records

BH- 13-1

Nederland- 11-3

Quite a few teams have shots fired at them on a weekly basis for years not just BH. See any Nederland Football topic, they even have so called life long die hard fans posting negatively of players talent & coaching staffs abilities to do their job win or lose. All anonymously, of course. But then get offended if you give the slightest positive remark about Nederland football.🙃

12 hours ago, KF89 said:

Nederland won the game with a full strength team, BH lost the game missing 3 starters. It's over. Don't Worry Be Happy. 

I honestly don't care about the game. In fact if you look back I said a BH loss (pre-playoffs) is probably good. Have you noticed exactly who you quoted and challenged?  BH posters like Powers, Avery and me. See? Why not check out DogPride and 77's posts too. You never said a word about them, did you? Geeze. 

If you don't care about the game then why are you still talking about it to me? Challenging people? Once again I made a simple post giving Nederland vball positive credit for beating BH & was told to "cool my jets" but I am challenging people? Come on man. Why do I need to check on Dogpride & 77, did they break the forum rules?  

1ST ROUND PLAYOFF RESULTS

Barbers Hill def. Galveston Ball, 25-8, 25-11, 25-15: Barbers Hill advances to the area round for the second consecutive season. The No. 8 state-ranked Eagles (39-6), who easily won the District 17-5A title, will take on Foster or Carnegie Vanguard later this week with a chance to reach the regional quarterfinals for the second straight year.

Baytown Sterling def. Santa Fe, 25-10, 25-16, 25-15: Baytown Sterling has won four consecutive matches and will take on Fulshear later this week. The Rangers (28-7), who finished second in District 17-5A this season, snapped a three-match losing streak against Santa Fe. The two teams played in the same district last year before realignment.

Friendswood def. Nederland, 25-10, 25-11, 25-15: Friendswood is headed to the area round for the sixth consecutive season. The Mustangs (33-11), who were the runners-up in District 18-5A, moved to 3-0 against Nederland since 2019 and eliminated the Bulldogs for the second straight year. Friendswood will take on Kempner later this week.

Manvel def. Crosby, 25-6, 25-20, 25-15: Manvel began its regional championship defense on a high note and advances to the area round for the eighth consecutive season. The Mavericks (31-10) were led by Lyric Jordan, who posted a team-high 18 kills and six digs. Devyn Lewis finished with four kills, six aces and 16 digs. Bea Angeles also had 16 digs, and Kenedy Massie had 30 assists and six digs. Manvel will take on either Milby or Lamar Consolidated later this week.

Written By

Jon Poorman-high school sports coordinator for the Houston Chronicle.

OTHER 5A-REGION III 1ST RD. PLAYOFF RESULTS

Lake Belton def. Magnolia West, 23-25, 17-25, 25-20. 25-15, 15-10: After sneaking into the playoffs with a tiebreaker victory over rival Magnolia on Friday, Magnolia West saw its season end with a close loss Monday. Evyn Snook led the way for the Mustangs (24-14) with 20 kills, 24 digs and four aces. Shannon Dworaczyk collected 46 assists and 13 digs, and Olivia Cruz and Sydnie Mullen each had 10 kills. Kassidy Johnson recorded 33 digs.

Fulshear def. Madison, 25-6, 25-12, 25-3: Fulshear is headed to the area round for the sixth consecutive season. The Chargers (30-9), who went undefeated at 14-0 in District 20-5A this season, will play Baytown Sterling later this week. Fulshear is aiming for its fifth straight regional quarterfinals appearance.

Lake Creek def. Killeen Shoemaker, 25-16, 25-14, 25-8: Lake Creek advances to the area round for the second straight year. Payton Woods led the Lions (28-17) with 13 kills. Emerson Caltabiano, Lauren Greene and Lauren Hilty added five kills each. Greene finished with 33 assists and 18 digs. Lauren Vickery added 16 digs. Woods and Sarah Caminita added nine digs each. Lake Creek will take on Austin McCallum later this week.

Foster def. Carnegie Vanguard, 25-10, 25-12, 25-12: Foster advances to the area round for the 15th consecutive season. The District 20-5A runners-up will get another matchup with Barbers Hill later this week. The Falcons (29-11) lost to the Eagles in five sets in the second round last season and lost 25-14, 25-21 against them earlier this year in tournament play.

Lamar Consolidated def. Milby, 25-13, 25-21, 23-25, 26-24: Lamar Consolidated advances to the area round for the fourth consecutive season and has now eliminated Milby three straight years. The Mustangs (20-12), the No. 3 seed out of District 20-5A, will battle against Manvel later this week. Lamar Consolidated is 0-5 against Manvel since 2018.

Kempner def. Galena Park, 25-20, 25-7, 25-18: Kempner has made history with its first playoff victory since 1999. The Cougars (19-23) are back in the postseason for the first time since 2011 after earning the No. 4 seed out of District 20-5A. Kempner will take on Friendswood later this week.

Written By

Jon Poorman-high school sports coordinator for the Houston Chronicle.

• KF89 changed the title to 2022: 17-5a Volleyball Standings / Scores / Playoff Scores