Crosby vs Angleton Scrimmage

Cougar14.2

Unless Angelton's QB live I don't think we're going to be able to take a whole lot from this scrimmage. They're a run heavy offense and the QB is a big part of that. If he's no threat to run I think it's going to make the Wildcat passing game easier to defend, and he only had a 42% completion rate for the 7 games worth of stats I see from last year. Defensive backs should still be able to get some good work though.

Angleton is always big and fast but they have a new head coach since last time we played them and run more of they standard spread style offense now. That counter toss they used to run was legendary so I'm glad Crosby won't have to defend it. I do think their newer style of offense is more beneficial for Crosby to scrimmage against though, pretty much the same offense we'll see from Carthage next week. 

On the personnel side of things per DC's they bring back five starters on offense and one on defense. I didn't see any notable prospects which is surprising for them. Tells me their prospects are just young, they're definitely there though. QB was playing receiver at some point last year, looks like in the final game against FB Kempner. Not sure if that was because of injuries, the Covid issues they had or poor play? 

I think they three biggest takeaways from this exhibition are going to be how we look at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, how well we play against the run and how our receivers look against their dbs? We also need to be able to run the ball from the running back position which seems like an oddity considering the long line of backs we've had at Crosby. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think they three biggest takeaways from this exhibition are going to be how we look at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, how well we play against the run and how our receivers look against their dbs? We also need to be able to run the ball from the running back position which seems like an oddity considering the long line of backs we've had at Crosby. 

I wonder how much attention Casey is going to demand in that middle this year. If he's clogging up that center we have a good shot of having a very good defense. 

30 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

I wonder how much attention Casey is going to demand in that middle this year. If he's clogging up that center we have a good shot of having a very good defense. 

Long as he's healthy I expect him to have another all-state year. I think we'll get a better feel tonight about how they're going to use him. In the scrimmage and practices I saw last week he looked to be playing more of a 5 technique. May have been a new alignment or some sort of experiment for the new defensive staff? It did look like we have at least one more solid piece to go with him up front though. I like what we have at the second level of the defense too. In general I agree with you though, as long as we get the secondary right we have a good shot at having a very good defense. 

Angleton will have a pass heavy offense this year, though they will run some too. Last year they were transitioning to a spread from the wing-t and didn't get the spring and summer drills to make the change because of covid. Angleton does have a player on Dave Campbell's Class of 2023-Top 100 list, Kariyen Goins who transferred from Brazosport. Angleton's QB, Ewells, is a sophomore who started the last part of 2020 as a freshman. Last year's early starter at QB is still there but has been moved to wr. Goins was a QB at Brazosport but will play wr/fs at Angleton. There is a video of highlights and stats from Angleton's scrimmage with Columbia on Maxpreps and Hudl. It is the one marked "Recap..." and not the one marked "Highlights..." which appears to be from a subvarsity scrimmage. Ewells is wearing #3 at the scrimmage, with #11 at QB being a backup. 

45 minutes ago, purple reign said:

Angleton will have a pass heavy offense this year, though they will run some too. Last year they were transitioning to a spread from the wing-t and didn't get the spring and summer drills to make the change because of covid. Angleton does have a player on Dave Campbell's Class of 2023-Top 100 list, Kariyen Goins who transferred from Brazosport. Angleton's QB, Ewells, is a sophomore who started the last part of 2020 as a freshman. Last year's early starter at QB is still there but has been moved to wr. Goins was a QB at Brazosport but will play wr/fs at Angleton. There is a video of highlights and stats from Angleton's scrimmage with Columbia on Maxpreps and Hudl. It is the one marked "Recap..." and not the one marked "Highlights..." which appears to be from a subvarsity scrimmage. Ewells is wearing #3 at the scrimmage, with #11 at QB being a backup. 

Think yall can sneak a playoff spot this season? A small few of us Titan fans thought we would end up facing yall last year on the Football Friday App. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Think yall can sneak a playoff spot this season? A small few of us Titan fans thought we would end up facing yall last year on the Football Friday App. 

A little tough with heavyweights like Manvel, Katy Paetow, and Richmond Foster in the district and with so much inexperience on defense, but maybe they'll make it. This is an important scrimmage for Angleton to face somebody good because they face a decent 4A in Stafford followed by 3 HISD schools in the weeks afterwards, so it will be awhile before they face anybody really good again. 10-5A-1 is going to really change next year with Manvel and Paetow leaving for 6A and Rosenberg Terry and Houston Wisdom departing for 5A-D2. FB Austin dropping down from 6A will be one replacement but I don't know who else will go into this district.

9 minutes ago, purple reign said:

A little tough with heavyweights like Manvel, Katy Paetow, and Richmond Foster in the district and with so much inexperience on defense, but maybe they'll make it. This is an important scrimmage for Angleton to face somebody good because they face a decent 4A in Stafford followed by 3 HISD schools in the weeks afterwards, so it will be awhile before they face anybody really good again. 10-5A-1 is going to really change next year with Manvel and Paetow leaving for 6A and Rosenberg Terry and Houston Wisdom departing for 5A-D2. FB Austin dropping down from 6A will be one replacement but I don't know who else will go into this district.

Good luck this year, I know covid did yall program in a bit last year. 🤞🏾

6 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

You’re correct. Casey is definitely playing in the center. Angleton has nothing for him so far. 

Rankings really mean nothing, especially in the preseason, but I’m interested to see how the 11 teams ranked ahead of Crosby look? 

Crosby’s average margin of victory in district play heading into the Nederland contest was 40ppg last year. Unless the the district has gotten a lot better I don’t expect anybody to stay within at least two or three scores of this year’s team either. It’s Crosby and FB Marshall for the region, somebody is going to have to show me something different. 

Just now, Cougar14.2 said:

Ranking really mean nothing, especially in the preseason, but I’m interested to see how the 11 teams ranked ahead of Crosby look? 

Crosby’s average margin of victory in district play heading into the Nederland contest was 40ppg last year. Unless the the district has gotten a lot better I don’t expect anybody to stay within at least two or three scores of this year’s team either. It’s Crosby and FB Marshall for the region, somebody is going to have to show me something different. 

I’m not counting out Huntsville. 

41 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

I’m not counting out Huntsville. 

Huntsville brings back two on defense and neither one of their names is Bobino. They do bring back 8 on offense but their offense really wasn’t that great. May be a lot better this year though? I’m almost more concerned with A&M Con. having a bounce back year or Montgomery finding a defense. 

If Myles wasn't blown dead on contact this offense will be deadly.Receivers  was catching everything thrown near them.#10 has great hands and is not afraid to lower that shoulder on contact.Players #'s did not match Hudl or Maxpreps so can't single out by names.If you think the cupboard is dry in the RB category,do not fear.Two of the three rbs in the scrimmage tonight ,I was told were sophomores, and they looked scary and will only get better.Crosby's front seven on defense looked extremely quick and completely shut Angelton's running game down.When the secondary catches up the defense will be AOK !

8 hours ago, Justafan72 said:

If Myles wasn't blown dead on contact this offense will be deadly.Receivers  was catching everything thrown near them.#10 has great hands and is not afraid to lower that shoulder on contact.Players #'s did not match Hudl or Maxpreps so can't single out by names.If you think the cupboard is dry in the RB category,do not fear.Two of the three rbs in the scrimmage tonight ,I was told were sophomores, and they looked scary and will only get better.Crosby's front seven on defense looked extremely quick and completely shut Angelton's running game down.When the secondary catches up the defense will be AOK !

I gave FB Marshall the nod in the region because I think their new QB Ja'Kobe Banks is going to be a star. After last night I'm going to change my opinion and say I don't think he'll be better than Cyrin Myles. He has the Jaiden Howard-level arm strength, Aston Walter running ability and last night he showed Tristen Cotton-level decision making ability. If that's the level o-line play we're going to get Myles might end up having a 2500/1000 season. It does help to have receivers who will catch the ball and finish like ours though.

I said before the scrimmage that we need to show we could run the ball from the rb position and we certainly did that. One of the backs you saw, the one with the white pants, was actually a freshman. He's one of the freshman I mentioned possibly getting moved up in the district prediction thread. 

That defense is legit, definitely ahead of where they were last year at this time. Doesn't look like a dropoff at all in overall talent on that side of the ball. Once the staff gets the secondary together you can go ahead and send us FB Marshall. 

43 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Crosby needs this game. Feels like they're ready to come out and make a statement against Carthage. 

So I think Crosby should likely be favored versus Carthage which is kind of amazing for me to say. 

Underdog versus Manvel

But that PAM game I think that's the real Litmus test. What do we look like right before district play, against a good higher classification team. 

Then obviously the BH game 2 weeks later. 

26 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

So I think Crosby should likely be favored versus Carthage which is kind of amazing for me to say. 

Underdog versus Manvel

But that PAM game I think that's the real Litmus test. What do we look like right before district play, against a good higher classification team. 

Then obviously the BH game 2 weeks later. 

I think we're gong to be a very convincing 2-1 headed into district play. If those running backs from Manvel can't combine for over 300 rushing yards on us then we might be looking at 3-0. Manvel is going to want to run it right down our throat but I think Casey and crew might be up to the task again this year.