Rusk 3 Orangefield 2/FINAL/Rusk wins series 1-0

1 hour ago, PhatMack19 said:

Anyone that was at the game care to comment on the 4 balks?  That’s pretty rare this deep in the playoffs. 

3 were called for not coming set. I wasn’t actually watching the pitcher on any of them. However I don’t know that I’ve ever seen so many called like that. Seemed odd. If he actually wasn’t coming set, none were deceiving runners or anything like that. The other was a lefty pick off to first. I’ve seen the same move a thousand times not called a balk. They also called an OF hitter for leaning into a pitch that was overturned by field umpires. Seemed like they were antsy to make calls that didn’t need to be made, but maybe could have been. The hit by pitch call should never have been made though. However OF had lots of opportunities to win the game and it just didn’t happen. Not blaming it on umpires, just venting.

7 hours ago, Sports10 said:

3 were called for not coming set. I wasn’t actually watching the pitcher on any of them. However I don’t know that I’ve ever seen so many called like that. Seemed odd. If he actually wasn’t coming set, none were deceiving runners or anything like that. The other was a lefty pick off to first. I’ve seen the same move a thousand times not called a balk. They also called an OF hitter for leaning into a pitch that was overturned by field umpires. Seemed like they were antsy to make calls that didn’t need to be made, but maybe could have been. The hit by pitch call should never have been made though. However OF had lots of opportunities to win the game and it just didn’t happen. Not blaming it on umpires, just venting.

I wasn't at the game, but the 4 balks seem quite fishy to me and this is the 1st I'm hearing about the leaning into a pitch situation. 

10 hours ago, texas13 said:

You know my father is Tracy Franklin we both know the truth 

I think you are very mistaken. I have no quarrel with Coach Franklin.

My only beef is that you questioned a poster about a team wanting a 1 gamer as a no brainer. You stated it was too risky and why should a coach do such a thing.

I can repost what you stated if you like.

13 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I think you are very mistaken. I have no quarrel with Coach Franklin.

My only beef is that you questioned a poster about a team wanting a 1 gamer as a no brainer. You stated it was too risky and why should a coach do such a thing.

I can repost what you stated if you like.

Where in my post does it state he shouldn’t do such thing please enlighten me don’t change the subject because you just told a lie to save face. It all looks good on paper because rusk won 3-2 the game could have easily went the other way. I was looking at the hypothetical. You can quote the post and all but I guarantee if you were to ask the coach from rusk if it was a “no brainer” he would say otherwise. He would tell you it was a long thought decision. It wasn’t a decision he made in one second. And to think that a high school kid can’t have a bad night on the mound is asinine, no matter how good of a pitcher he is. 

3 minutes ago, texas13 said:

Where in my post does it state he shouldn’t do such thing please enlighten me don’t change the subject because you just told a lie to save face. It all looks good on paper because rusk won 3-2 the game could have easily went the other way. I was looking at the hypothetical. You can quote the post and all but I guarantee if you were to ask the coach from rusk if it was a “no brainer” he would say otherwise. He would tell you it was a long thought decision. It wasn’t a decision he made in one second. And to think that a high school kid can’t have a bad night on the mound is asinine, no matter how good of a pitcher he is. 

You are special!  The coach from Rusk and many other coaches would choose a 1 game playoff with the staff Rusk has.  China Spring game for example...Thompson went 7 and their #2 with 6 scoreless.  So the Rusk coaching staff put about 2 seconds of thought into whether they wanted a 1 game playoff or a series. 

1 minute ago, PirateNole984 said:

You are special!  The coach from Rusk and many other coaches would choose a 1 game playoff with the staff Rusk has.  China Spring game for example...Thompson went 7 and their #2 with 6 scoreless.  So the Rusk coaching staff put about 2 seconds of thought into whether they wanted a 1 game playoff or a series. 

Thank you I served my country honorably. He thought way longer than 2 seconds I promise you that 

8 minutes ago, PirateNole984 said:

Good....Your credentials would prove nothing.  The fact of the matter is that the decision for Rusk was a NO brainer!  Who plays next week?!?! 😉

Hopefully my hometown team wins tomorrow they already beat Cameron 4-2 on Wednesday 

• WOSgrad changed the title to Rusk 3 Orangefield 2/FINAL/Rusk wins series 1-0

The reason you will have more balks in playoffs is the neutral umpire crews assigned to work the game. Was it a split crew or was it a Neutral crew, that would be one that is assigned by the UIL? The crew that worked the previous series, Orangefield vs HJ was a Beaumont Chapter. Where I could rip on their mechanics, they were very solid with both plate jobs. BTW, it takes big balls to walk in the winning run, especially in the playoffs...

Well, I only point to this.  During that inning, Gary Stelly noted that Coach Erickson said absolutely nothing about the balk called except for after the final balk call when he took a couple of steps out of the Bobcat dugout and had a couple of words.....for his pitcher.  He then returned to the dugout.

Now, before I lay out the possible alternatives, I will acknowledge that Tim Erickson is reputed to be a very easy going guy.

That being said, his silence can be explained a couple of ways: 1) That Erickson has patience not seen since, well, Job; or 2) he saw the same thing that the umpire who called the balk was seeing.  His reputed good nature notwithstanding, I would tend to go with scenario #2.