Broussard, Walker boost PN-G ‘D’

www.panews.com

Broussard, Walker boost PN-G ‘D’

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES -- Carl Broussard needed Port Neches-Groves and PN-G's football program needed Broussard. Senior linebacker Kaleb Walker is delighted it worked out that way.

The Indians had to shop quickly last summer after Pat Fischer resigned as defensive coordinator in late June. PN-G head coach Matt Burnett received all sorts of favorable vibes about Broussard, the defensive coordinator for the past five years at Hamshire-Fannett.

Hamshire-Fannett did not wish to promote Broussard as Paul Walker's successor as head coach last spring. That caused the 45-year-old McNeese State graduate to need a coaching job during the summer. The rest has evolved almost as flawlessly as PN-G's 5-0 run through the District 22-4A schedule.

Burnett hired the right guy. With his Cajun heritage more than welcome, Broussard fit into PN-G like a hand in a glove.

It’s been the same fit for Walker and Broussard’s defense. Leading the team with 64 tackles and 43 assists, the 17-year-old son of Shane and Donna Walker has benefitted greatly from the coaching hire.

Broussard and Walker's common denominator has been intelligence, hard work, preparation and really more intelligence.

Walker is merely ranked No. 1 academically in his senior class with a 4.5 grade average. A starter at one of two critical inside linebacker spots, the young brother of former Indians' linebacker Jacob Walker serves as President of PN-G's National Honor Society chapter.

Fittingly enough, Kaleb's vice president -- senior Austin Miller -- occupies that adjacent inside linebacker job. It's an interesting combination and it certainly matters that PN-G plays a high-caliber of defense. The Indians' defense needed one of its better performances last Friday at Vidor to outlast the inspired Pirates, 14-7.

Neither Walker nor Miller might quality as a muscle-bound linebacker-type such Chicago Bears' all-pro Brian Urlacher. That's fine with the Indians' defensive coordinator. Broussard likes his linebackers to possess lots of smarts. Walker obviously ranks second to none in that department.

"This has been a joy," the Indians defensive coordinator said. "The best linebackers I've ever had were 3.0 and above students. A lot of people think it's all about just brute strength and speed but it's not. Kaleb has to know the whole defense.

"I'd rather have a smart guy than just a 'he' man because our defense is kinda complicated. We don't line up the same way every time. Being able to line up in the right place is the most important thing. And Kaleb is really amazing because he has one of those photographic memories."

Broussard can mention a detail to Walker during practice on Monday and Kaleb's got it. The Indians' defensive coordinator does not have to refresh Walker's memory later in the week or during a game. He doesn't have to tell Walker something twice. That's why it's a joy for the coach.

When it comes to working with Broussard, Walker has found the joy on his side of their relationship, too. He sees the knowledge and preparation level which PN-G's defensive coordinator devotes to his job.

Broussard is doing an outstanding job of putting Walker and his fellow Indians defenders in a position to win.

"He's a really hard worker," Walker said of his coach. "He comes up with a lot of stuff. He studies a whole lot. He's really helped our team to get where we are. We've executed what he's taught us. We come in Monday and he will already be prepared. I don't think we would be where we are without him."

The PNG Indians would not be where they are at right now if Coach Broussard & Burnett were not good defensive mind coaches.  Coach Broussard prepares his boys and puts them in the right position EVERY PLAY of EVERY GAME.  He is doing a great job.  The NDN defense has yet to have a bad game.  They make big play after big play.  The yardage and points stats may not show this but the most important stat does 5-0 in district.  Keep up the good work Coaches and Players, I see another District Championship in the making.

This may have some of the folks in hamshire wondering why they didnt hire him as the head coach at hf.  i bet if you would have asked any of the players last year when they knew walker was leaving who they'd most like to have as their head coach, it would have been broussard. not downing mangan at all because i believe he is doing a great job and i like the direction the horns are headed, i am just saying that before he came into the picture that i'm sure all the guys at hf would have liked to see broussard get the job, but as they say, one man's loss is another man's gain and i must say burnett took advantage of hf's loss. 

good luck to coach broussard and the ndn's the rest of the way.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami