Running up the score

bevo

Wow...when I began reading this...I kept thinking, "GREAT, now people are accusing us of running up the score"...didn't realize that WE hadn't even played BC...shewwwww.

I have to agree with what most of the posts have said...I mean, the only other suggestion would be maybe, RUN BACKWARDS with the ball!  I'll tell you, games like this should be used to practice the things that you are weak in.

I feel really bad for the kids who play.  I really do, but what are the other teams supposed to do?  I can see both arguments, but unfortunately football and basketball are sports where there are no maximum scores or 10-run rules because I can just imagine if they were...last year (for sure) BC would have beat us by ALOT.  So, while it's sad, there isn't really a solution.  BC will be better next year and unfortunately that's the only thing that will help.

I hope everyone that has played B.C. remembers this.  A couple of years ago when Matt Pebbles, Jamey Knight and that run of player were at B.C.  They could have ran the score up to 100.  But they had some respect and were betting everyone so bad that the pulled most of the starters at half.  Pebbles could have had 2500yrds rushing his senior year. So when B.C. comes back.  I hope Coach Stump, RUNS THE SCORE UP ON EVERYONE HE PLAYS.   I am all for finishing the game. But 60+ is getting excesive.    So everyone don't forget about this when we start scoring 70+ on you again.

how likely is it that B.C. score 30 points on every team,much less 70

Guest maverick24

Stop Crying! Yall thought it was cool When yall moved down to 3A and beat up on people and made the Playoffs, Man up and get better or play Baseball where they have a mercy rule!

EXACTLY! Here is my proposed solution to the problem:

Since the team who is getting blown out is the one needing mercy, they should reach out. Currently, when one team runs into the middle of the pile and falls three times, then punts, the team being slaughtered does everything they can to fly down and score. That's crap. If you want the team dominating you to stop scoring, you should too. In other words, if you want your opponent to stop throwing the ball, stop driving for the end zone, etc., then take a knee. When you think it's getting out of hand and want to save face in the papers and score ticker, snap the ball and take a knee. I doubt there's a team in this state who would continue to score if you knelt the ball out and punted.

in theory that sounds alright, but can you imagine how the players would feel if the coach told them to give up and take a knee midway through the fourth quarter?  i know i wouldn't do it.  at least run the ball.  keep the clock running, without completely giving up.  i would leave a game if the coach of my team had them kneel because they were getting blown out.

Ok but i agree with the post that stated that sometimes it cant be helped, take my sons Pee Wee game this past saturday for instance, STJFL rules state that when you get ahead by 28 points you have to pull your starters (QB,RB,etc...) and we did that in the first quarter, pulled our starting Defense also and still won the game 40-7

in theory that sounds alright, but can you imagine how the players would feel if the coach told them to give up and take a knee midway through the fourth quarter?  i know i wouldn't do it.  at least run the ball.  keep the clock running, without completely giving up.  i would leave a game if the coach of my team had them kneel because they were getting blown out.

I completely agree. Then don't get upset when the other team continues to try as well. I would rather an obvious surrender and acceptance than to see the winning team perform some poorly-veiled scheme to make the losing team feel better about themselves, like their moms all called the opposing coach and explained how lonely and depressed they've been - and how they just need something like a TD to pick them up. If one team is even trying to score, both should be. I don't think it should be up to the team who came in prepared to throw in the towel. If you're looking for mercy, you're going to have to beg ;) Football is partially a chess match, but it's also an old-fashioned gladiator battle. Can you imagine one gladiator crushing another one so badly that he starts swinging at the dirt and allowing the pitiful guy to land a few poorly-placed but effort-filled blows?

If you don't want the score to get too lopsided, don't suck. Play better. Stop the other team. Then score. This seems to be an effective method of controlling the score and, sometimes, the outcome of the game.

When you played OF a couple of weeks ago, your coach was calling TO with 45 seconds left down 18.  We are running up the middle and he calls TO twice.  That is as close to kneeling as possible.  We run one more play for 50 yards and a TD.  The game could have been over.  Blame your coach not the other coaches.

If I remember right OF made a first down with 20 seconds left, and BC with 1 T.O., to me thats when you take a knee.

You do not remember correct. OF had the ball 1st and ten and BC had three time outs left. OF ran the ball up the middle and BC called time out, OF ran the ball up the Middle on 2ND down and BC called time out again. It was 3rd and 1 and BC still had one timeout left, OF ran a toss sweep and it went the distance. If OF kneels on 3rd down and BC uses its last timeout, then OF has to punt it back to BC. Nobody ran up the score. The BC coach called timeout so his team knows he will not quit on them, that is respectful, But don't get mad when a team scores on  a toss play after timeout has been called twice and it is 3rd and 1 and they are just trying to get a first down and make BC use their final timeout. OF has no backups, they only suitup about 23 kids on varsity.

I hope everyone that has played B.C. remembers this.  A couple of years ago when Matt Pebbles, Jamey Knight and that run of player were at B.C.  They could have ran the score up to 100.  But they had some respect and were betting everyone so bad that the pulled most of the starters at half.  Pebbles could have had 2500yrds rushing his senior year. So when B.C. comes back.  I hope Coach Stump, RUNS THE SCORE UP ON EVERYONE HE PLAYS.   I am all for finishing the game. But 60+ is getting excesive.    So everyone don't forget about this when we start scoring 70+ on you again.

I have never hidden the fact that I live in BC, and I will support them 'til the end, regardless of the sport, or the score, or the team record.  Some of us on here try to post with at least a little class, and ask for nothing except a little respect - TRY to make that distinction when reading posts.  ::)

K-ville et al scored late in the game with subs because BC couldn't stop the 3rd string any better than the first string.  K-ville's O and D had about 3 starters on the field for most of the 4th.  So I don't balme anyone in this matter.  The kids are trying, to the best of their ability (and while lacking ability, that is really the point anyway).

Part of what I hope these kids are learning is - Go out and do your best, win or lose, and don't QUIT.  If they TRULY learn to do that, and can carry that lesson for the rest of their lives, then the score is meaningless - We've taught kids a very valuable lesson in not giving up and fighting for what you believe in............ And we ARE trying to teach kids lessons for life, right?

I have never hidden the fact that I live in BC, and I will support them 'til the end, regardless of the sport, or the score, or the team record.  Some of us on here try to post with at least a little class, and ask for nothing except a little respect - TRY to make that distinction when reading posts.  ::)

K-ville et al scored late in the game with subs because BC couldn't stop the 3rd string any better than the first string.  K-ville's O and D had about 3 starters on the field for most of the 4th.  So I don't balme anyone in this matter.  The kids are trying, to the best of their ability (and while lacking ability, that is really the point anyway).

Part of what I hope these kids are learning is - Go out and do your best, win or lose, and don't QUIT.  If they TRULY learn to do that, and can carry that lesson for the rest of their lives, then the score is meaningless - We've taught kids a very valuable lesson in not giving up and fighting for what you believe in............ And we ARE trying to teach kids lessons for life, right?

Good Post.

When will you ever score 70 on anybody? You certainly will never do it against the top teams in 3A.

Wow...when I began reading this...I kept thinking, "GREAT, now people are accusing us of running up the score"...didn't realize that WE hadn't even played BC...shewwwww.

I have to agree with what most of the posts have said...I mean, the only other suggestion would be maybe, RUN BACKWARDS with the ball!  I'll tell you, games like this should be used to practice the things that you are weak in.

I feel really bad for the kids who play.  I really do, but what are the other teams supposed to do?  I can see both arguments, but unfortunately football and basketball are sports where there are no maximum scores or 10-run rules because I can just imagine if they were...last year (for sure) BC would have beat us by ALOT.  So, while it's sad, there isn't really a solution.  BC will be better next year and unfortunately that's the only thing that will help.

I got a better idea. How about teams tie their shoe strings together and play maybe Bc will give up only 30 points a game instead of sixty. I doubt if Bc is much better next year. Giving up almost 60 points a game is from more than youth...they are just not very good. It will take alot more than a year to fix what's going on over there.

I got a better idea. How about teams tie their shoe strings together and play maybe Bc will give up only 30 points a game instead of sixty. I doubt if Bc is much better next year. Giving up almost 60 points a game is from more than youth...they are just not very good. It will take alot more than a year to fix what's going on over there.

The only way BC could put up 70, if they do away with the 10 run rule in baseball.   

When BC had Peebles and Knight they didnt run the score up with those guys they would normally be taken out at the beggining of the 3rd quarter and then they might play some Defence. BC was just so deep they would have there 3rd and 4th string running backs in and they would still score.The teams BC has been playing are keeping in the 1st string running backs and 1st string players in till like 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter

WOW!!! im embarrassed for these kids at BC... i WOULD HATE for a "fan" or even a player to beg on for a give away game!!!! why would a team NOT play hard every down of the game??? isn't that how we were taught? play your hardest ever snap between whistles??? dont make posts taking up room on the forums if your going to basically beg for teams to stop playing the game when they are up 60-0...

When BC had Peebles and Knight they didnt run the score up with those guys they would normally be taken out at the beggining of the 3rd quarter and then they might play some Defence. BC was just so deep they would have there 3rd and 4th string running backs in and they would still score.The teams BC has been playing are keeping in the 1st string running backs and 1st string players in till like 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter

WOS doesnt run up the score.If  were only up by 20 its still a game.but notice when we played HJ we had our 4th strings in,we had a WR playing RB and got about 50 yards on 2 carries.its not that teams run up the score, its that the other team isnt good if your down by 60,i mean is it a teams fault if we have 3rd and 4th strings scoring TDs

Didn't think wos had enough kids to have 2nd teams much less 3rd and 4th teams. Ya'll blow more crap out you arses than anyone on here.

By saying "fourth string," he means players playing way out of position - like LBs playing RB and DBs stepping in at QB. We ran at least five or six people at RB against HJ.

we couldn't help but run up the score on bridge city. our last 3 touchdowns were scored by a sophomore that barely ever play running back, a 3rd string receiver that never gets a pass thrown to him, and a freshman that has barely any experience at the varsity level.

is everyone expected to starting taking knees in the 3rd quarter when they play bridge city? that's what it sounds like to me. tell their defense step it up. BECAUSE WE WANNA PLAY FOOTBALL!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn