HOT TOPIC: Who Would You Want As The Next LU Football Coach?

Guest Luv Ya Blue

Yes but SE Texas will only support winners and we all know that. I just think the more local the better. Southeast Texas is loaded with talent on every level.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it shouldnt matter if LU has 85 kids from Samoa the result on the field is what matters, not whether the kids are from WB, Ozen, Nederland, PNG etc.  Now thats not to say there arent talented local kids but I dont care where someone is from only what wins on the field.  And to realistically think the kids who are 3-4-5 star recruits getting offers from Big XII, SEC schools who would then play on TV week in and week out to stay home and play I-AA at Lamar is a joke.

What about grabbing someone like the OC from SHSU.  He has coached one  of the better I-AA offense for several years and has recruited east Texas.  Getting a big name coach would be awesome but I think Lamar has to be realistic.  Maybe they can get an ambitious young coach who wants to make a name for himself by building a new program.  

McNeese has been raiding this area for quite a while (don't most Newton kids go there?)  A lot of locals with some other kids from wherever that just want to play will work.  I don't think we will be able to get a "name" coach to come in and start the program, hopefully I am wrong about that.  I think Craig Stump will be target #1.

I like the Craig Stump idea.  I also like the big name that's been out of coaching for awhile idea.  See Jerry Glanville at Portland State.  But to me the best bet is a young coordinator at a big, not huge, school that has a background in recruiting. 

I do agree that if you were able to get a gut like Switzer or Slocum, have Stump as OC and pass it to him in a few years.

some people around here really need to back away from keyboards..... listen to yourselves. Bobby Bowden???? one of the top 5 coaches in NCAA history in terms of career wins.....he's not hurting for a job or for money and not like Beaumont is a jumping metropolis.  Mike Stoops?  Even if he got canned at Arizona brother Bob would make him defensive coordinator again and a DC job at a top 20 school will pay as much if not more than a head coaching job at little LU.  If they bring football back the coach will be an assistant from another I-AA school, a position coach from a D-I school, or someone local, its not going to be a big name.  The only shot at a big name they would have would be Switzer and ONLY because of him knowing Tubbs, and Billy may be able to talk him into it for a year or 2, but even that is terribly far fetched, its not like LU is going to pony up 1 mill a year for a coach.  Roc I'm guessing here probably makes 200k a year give or take for basketball, if LU brings back football the coach will be somewhere in that 200-250k pay bracket and the names some keep mentioning arent going to do it for that amount.  I know the top assiatnts at UT make 300k+ per year.  With all he talk about must have local kids if LU brought back football they should be checking into the coordinatiors at SHSU, SFA, Texas St, McNeese etc for their head job.

some people around here really need to back away from keyboards..... listen to yourselves. Bobby Bowden???? one of the top 5 coaches in NCAA history in terms of career wins.....he's not hurting for a job or for money and not like Beaumont is a jumping metropolis.  Mike Stoops?  Even if he got canned at Arizona brother Bob would make him defensive coordinator again and a DC job at a top 20 school will pay as much if not more than a head coaching job at little LU.  If they bring football back the coach will be an assistant from another I-AA school, a position coach from a D-I school, or someone local, its not going to be a big name.  The only shot at a big name they would have would be Switzer and ONLY because of him knowing Tubbs, and Billy may be able to talk him into it for a year or 2, but even that is terribly far fetched, its not like LU is going to pony up 1 mill a year for a coach.  Roc I'm guessing here probably makes 200k a year give or take for basketball, if LU brings back football the coach will be somewhere in that 200-250k pay bracket and the names some keep mentioning arent going to do it for that amount.  I know the top assiatnts at UT make 300k+ per year.  With all he talk about must have local kids if LU brought back football they should be checking into the coordinatiors at SHSU, SFA, Texas St, McNeese etc for their head job.

I can't see how bringing in a coordinator from one of the SLC schools is going to the ticket.  I totally disagree with that.  This is our shot to do it right.  We need to get at least a D-1 assistant who is hungry and is looking for the opportunity to show they can be the head man.  We will have to pony up the $$$ to do it, but it will pay for itself in the long run.

How about the younger Franchione at Blinn? He won a Junior College National Championship last year and they get alot of players from this area. I know he's a franchione, but he is still a good coach.

I can't see how bringing in a coordinator from one of the SLC schools is going to the ticket.  I totally disagree with that.  This is our shot to do it right.  We need to get at least a D-1 assistant who is hungry and is looking for the opportunity to show they can be the head man.   We will have to pony up the $$$ to do it, but it will pay for itself in the long run.

the realistic problem with that philosophy is that if you got a D-I assistant, even if its a pay raise its a step down the coaching ladder realistically.  If you are a D-I coordinator chances are your games probably half or so are on tv, so your work gets some exposure which leads to better jobs.  Who is going to see LU play?  The 10-12 thousand people if that who show on Saturdays????  Look at McNeese they've been a strong program in I-AA for what 10 years or so?? How many of their games get picked up by FSN southwest??  1 if any at all.  So yes, its going to have to be a JC coach or D I-AA coordinator.

Guest abovetherim

Believe me, or not it doesn't matter. McNeese State is a DI (FCS) power and in Lake Charles game-days are events not just games. Plus, with your thought process Coach Tidwell made a major mistake leaving TCU for little ole Lamar. It's about getting an opportunity. Yes someone, somewhere would love the chance to coach a Lamar University football team. 

I realize you do not think football is a great idea for Lamar and I very much appreciate your opinion. I just don't share it.

Best of luck to whatever school you graduated from or follow.

Whatever coach who comes here has a special chance. It'd be a new program so who wouldn't want to start something great and become another great LU head coach? Plus with definitely fans in the SLC (probably better than the sunbelt too and only growing), he'd have great fan support his first couple of seasons, then its on the coaches on the players to keep the fans in the stands.

And i KNOW we'd have some good facilities, nothing but the best at Lamar  ;)

the realistic problem with that philosophy is that if you got a D-I assistant, even if its a pay raise its a step down the coaching ladder realistically.  If you are a D-I coordinator chances are your games probably half or so are on tv, so your work gets some exposure which leads to better jobs.  Who is going to see LU play?  The 10-12 thousand people if that who show on Saturdays????  Look at McNeese they've been a strong program in I-AA for what 10 years or so?? How many of their games get picked up by FSN southwest??  1 if any at all.  So yes, its going to have to be a JC coach or D I-AA coordinator.

The best way to a BCS coaching job is through a lower level coaching job.

[quote author=abovetherim link=topic=26892.msg268796#msg268796 date=119388388

Believe me, or not it doesn't matter. McNeese State is a DI (FCS) power and in Lake Charles game-days are events not just games. Plus, with your thought process Coach Tidwell made a major mistake leaving TCU for little ole Lamar. It's about getting an opportunity. Yes someone, somewhere would love the chance to coach a Lamar University football team. 

I realize you do not think football is a great idea for Lamar and I very much appreciate your opinion. I just don't share it.

Best of luck to whatever school you graduated from or follow.

Guest coachacola

I could be wrong but I think what DenisGScott meant was that for a offensive or defensive coordinator at a school like UT, Ohio State, etc., being the head coach at Lamar would be a step down.  I agree with him there, but that would be the exception.  App State's head coach was head coach at Texas Tech a long time ago, and I believe Missouri State's new coach was the associate head coach at Iowa State a few years ago.

I also think who Tubbs hires depends on the long term plan he has for the football program and Lamar athletics in general.  If Lamar tries to fast track to D1A and another conference then they'll probably go with a higher profile coach with D1A experience (R.C. Slocum as an example).  If they plan on staying FCS and in the SLC then they will lower their sights.

BTW, I think they'll try to fast track it to D1A.  The beginning of the end for Lamar football in the 80's (besides losing all the time) was when they dropped down to D1-AA in 1983, then went D1-AA independent in 1987.  UTSA wants to go D1A football as soon as possible, and Texas State is trying to go D1A too.  I could see UTSA, Texas State, and Lamar joining up with a D1A conference together 5 years from now.

I could be wrong but I think what DenisGScott meant was that for a offensive or defensive coordinator at a school like UT, Ohio State, etc., being the head coach at Lamar would be a step down.  I agree with him there, but that would be the exception.  App State's head coach was head coach at Texas Tech a long time ago, and I believe Missouri State's new coach was the associate head coach at Iowa State a few years ago.

I also think who Tubbs hires depends on the long term plan he has for the football program and Lamar athletics in general.  If Lamar tries to fast track to D1A and another conference then they'll probably go with a higher profile coach with D1A experience (R.C. Slocum as an example).  If they plan on staying FCS and in the SLC then they will lower their sights.

BTW, I think they'll try to fast track it to D1A.  The beginning of the end for Lamar football in the 80's (besides losing all the time) was when they dropped down to D1-AA in 1983, then went D1-AA independent in 1987.  UTSA wants to go D1A football as soon as possible, and Texas State is trying to go D1A too.  I could see UTSA, Texas State, and Lamar joining up with a D1A conference together 5 years from now.

If LU stays FCS, It wouldn't matter who coached LU.

Rumor already have UTSA and New Mexico st as the first 2 members of the Southwest Conference.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124