**POST CC MEET RESULTS HERE**

BC CC teams roll to 21-3A crowns

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

VIDOR — Everything was rockin’ just right for the Bridge City cross country teams at the District 21-3A Cross Country Championships at Claiborne Park Wednesday morning.

From the Cardinal band, to the Strutters and the cheerleaders, the Cardinals teams were supported loud and clear as both teams stormed to respective 21-3A championships.

On the boys’ side, senior Ryan Kelly led the way, placing first with a time of 17 minutes, 15.3 seconds over the 5K course. The Cardinals placed seven of the top 11 runners as they easily claimed the team title.

Paced by the second and third-place finishes by freshmen Mary Nguyen and Jessica Franklin, the Lady Cardinals captured their eighth consecutive 21-3A crown as they walked away with the big trophy.

In Class 4A, Little Cypress-Mauriceville sophomore Reanna Edgerton made a big statement by placing second.

Kelly led the way for BC but had plenty of help from a stout group of teammates. He was followed by teammates Tim Cude (second, 17:45.6), Kirby Shepherd (fourth, 18:13.7), Brandon Simoneaux (fifth, 18:19.3), Josh Blakeney (sixth, 18:59.4), Armando Chavez (ninth, 19:09.0) and Sawyer Hogan (11th, 20:08.07).

“It was just a great day to run,†said Kelly, who was nursing an ankle injury going in. “I’m happy to win the individual title but I’m even more happier for our team. We wanted the district title back and we went out and got it.â€

As far as the wondrous support from the band, cheerleaders and drill team?

“It was awesome, just totally awesome,†Kelly said. “To hear the band playing coming down the stretch, it just got my blood flowing more. We have such a proud tradition in cross country. To have this atmosphere today, it just adds to it.â€

Bridge City won the team crown with 18 points followed by Jasper (61), Hardin-Jefferson (79) and Silsbee (91). It was Jasper that knocked off BC for the title last year, making this year’s victory even sweeter for the Cardinals.

“The kids really wanted to make a statement today,†said Cardinal coach Cody Knight. “They felt that Jasper took something away from us last year. The kids just came out and ran superb. The conditions were awesome and all the kids ran well. To get all seven of the kids in the top 11, that’s a great accomplishment for them.â€

The Cardinals now turn their focus on the Class 3A Region III Meet, which will be held a week from Saturday.

“The kids’ main goal is to get back to the State Meet,†Knight said. “Regionals is going to be real tough. Lufkin Hudson looks to be the biggest challenge and they should be the favorites. The kids are really looking forward to that challenge. It gets a lot tougher from here but with our kids’ work ethic, they will be right there in the hunt.â€

Hardin-Jefferson’s Jamie King won the girls 3A two-mile race in 13:31.9 with BC’s Nguyen second (13:41.3) and Franklin third (13:43.3).

The Lady Cardinals racked up five of the top nine places. Ariel Chesson nabbed fifth with a 14:01.4 followed by Shae Garriga (seventh, 14:06.03), Melissa Pittman (ninth, 14:17.8), Lisa Huyhn (18th, 14:47.3) and Sarah Fontenot (29th, 16:44.8).

“I’m thrilled for the girls,†said Knight. “They just seem to get better and better. They’re still such a young team but they haven’t let some of these big meets phase them. Eight straight district titles, that’s amazing. They’re running so good as a group right now and the future, it looks brighter than ever because they’re still so young.â€

The Lady Cardinals netted 27 points to win easily. They were followed by Hardin-Jefferson (49), Jasper (75), Hamshire-Fannett (93), Silsbee (122) and Orangefield (150).

LC-M’s Edgerton was impressive in only her second-ever 22-4A race. She covered the two-mile terrain in 13:04.07, just finishing behind winner Anna Hunter (12:57.63) of Port Neches-Groves.

“I can’t describe how happy I am,†said Edgerton. “I really wanted to get into the top three, so finishing second feels great. The conditions were almost perfect today. I have a tough time controlling my asthma at times and I really had no problems today. To get to regionals as a sophomore is a great feeling and I just hope to continue to get better and better.â€

PN-G won the 22-4A girls title with 36 points and were followed by Nederland (47), Ozen (89), LC-M (105), Vidor (118) and Dayton (127).

Following Edgerton for the Lady Bears were Megan Isaacs (21st, 14:42.24), Amanda Godfrey (29th, 15:56.75), Kaitlin White (31st, 16:22.88) and Callie Farrell (3th, 17:14.85).

On the boys’ 4A side, Ozen’s Bradley Romar won the crown with a 18:06.08. Nederland’s Domingo Flores (18:31.23), Chris Schroeder (18:37.46) and Hunter Turk (18:38.4) placed 2-3-4 to lead the Bulldogs to the team title. Nederland finished with 24 points followed by Ozen (76), PN-G (84), Lumberton (100), Central (116) and LC-M (120).

Justin Guller led the LC-M boys, placing 13th with a 19:45.27. He was followed by teammates Thomas Jones (23rd, 21:18.56), Chris Chapman (27th, 22:04.98), Dyllon Sanford (29th, 22:05.52), Andrew Longron (30th, 22:27.84), and Jon Gunn (32nd, 23:09.37).

On the 3A boys’ side, Orangefield was led by the 13th-place finish of Caleb Worthy, who ran a 20:22.2. He was followed by teammates Shawn Newell (23rd, 21:25.3), Kellen Free (34th, 24:05.08) and Ben Walles (35th, 24:33.1). West Orange-Stark’s Leon Mendizabol was 18th with a 20:45.1 and Jeremy Phares was 36th (24:57.4).

In other 3A girls results, Orangefield’s Elana Newell placed 28th with a 16:21.0 followed by Megan Jarrell (31st, 17:10.6), Abby Ludwig (32nd, 17:39.7), Samatha Fukuda (35th, 18:13.7) and Angi Biri (36th, 18:14.0). WO-S’ Hannah Mobley placed 33rd with a 17:45.5.

Guest distancerunner10

Barbers Hill sweeps 21-4A meet

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun 

Published October 26, 2007

Jess Williams and Samantha Rhodes led Barbers Hill’s varsity and junior varsity cross-country teams to District 21-4A titles Thursday morning.

The boys’ varsity claimed first place with 43 points, outdistancing a Huffman squad that scored 67 points for second place. Crosby came in sixth with 128 points.

The varsity Lady Eagles took six of the top eight spots to easily claim the top spot over New Caney. Crosby finished fourth.

On the junior varsity level, the Eagle boys claimed first place with 34 points and the Lady Eagles finished first with 15 points.

In the boys’ varsity race, Williams of Barbers Hill ran with the cart as his main competition over most of the 5,000-meter course and claimed first place in a time of 17 minutes, 26 seconds. Tim Ramsey also had a strong outing for the Hill, finishing in fourth place to help lead the Eagles to the win.

“We knew the boys were going to be a lot closer, but the middle part of the team stepped it up when they needed to,†Barbers Hill head coach DeAnn Fudge said.

Josh Shiach and Steven Simon of Crosby took seventh and ninth with the Eagles’ Austin Cain and Cole Ryan finished eighth and 10th. Sean Evans took 20th for Barbers Hill and Jerrett Cobb came in 23rd to round out area athletes in the top 30.

In the first race of the day, no scorecard was needed in order to determine the overall winner. The sea of blue crossing the finish line behind overall winner Stephanie Hernandez of Huffman said it all.

Rhodes finished second with a 12:41 and Catherine Reuter took third with a 12:43 to lead the Lady Eagles. Shannon Mudd, Larissa Rios, Shelby Johnston and Sarah Elam finished fifth through eighth to seal the victory for Barbers Hill.

Mary Mudd also had a strong outing for the Hill finishing 13th.

“We were very hopeful coming in,†Fudge said. “We knew we were running strong but everyday is a new day. We were prepared I was very proud of the way they performed.â€

Kelsey Mason and Darrian Ellison led Crosby. The pair finished 16th and 17th respectively. Brittney Crawford, Maci Bush, and Kaitlin Lyons also finished in the top 30.

In the junior varsity boys’ race, Yurre Moore finished second and David Wood came in fifth. Kirby Anderson and John Koenig came in ninth and 10th.

Barbers Hill dominated the junior varsity girls’ race. Mackenize Daniels, Sara White, Brooke Safiah, Kenya Carter, Abby McManus, Jewell Watson, Quinae Carter, Ariel Stewart and Molly Easterling finished first through ninth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83