End of PN-G Lumberton game decision..

With a three way tie breaker becoming a very good probability after week 10, if you were Burnett would you have tried to score at the end of the Lumberton game after you got the ball back after Lumberton failed to convert on 4th down.  I think they were around the 11 yard line.

Check out this scenario in another thread...

What if....

Nederland wins out...

They finish 6 and 1 and are district champs.

Dayton loses to Nederland but beats Central and PN-G

Lumberton loses it's last game to Nederland and finishes 5 and 2.

Then....

Nederland is 6 and 1

PN-G is 5 and 2

Dayton is 5 and 2

Lumberton is 5 and 2

Then it is a three way tie for 2nd....

Dayton has played Lumberton and lost 8 to 7

PN-G beat Lumberton 31 to 24

Lumberton is finished with the head to head.

There points would be +1 with Dayton and -7 with PN-G for a sum of -6.

PN-G has +7

Dayton has -1

If Dayton wins by more than 14 PN-G would be eliminated.

+7 -14 = -7

If PN-G wins by 6 or more then Dayton is eliminated.

-1 -6 = -7

Lumberton is eliminated if the game is between a 13 point Dayton win and a 5 point PN-G win.

If PN-G could have tacked on another TD or even another field goal that would have put Lumberton at -9 or -14.

PN-G could then lose and get crushed by Dayton because the point spread stops at a 16 point victory.

Listening to the game on the radio coming back from LC-M I was thinking they should score, but they killed the clock.

It would be horrible for PN-G to get beat by more than 14 points and get eliminated when they could have tacked on at least a field goal at the end of the Lumberton game.

It would also have helped out the Broncos for PN-G to score since it would have lowered Lumberton's score.

If you were Burnett???

Would you have at least tried to score again?

Yes.

It probably will not end up in the tie breaker but it could. I bet that if Burnett knew about that, he might have at least opted for a field goal.

Would have probably helped having a good math teacher as an assistant coach.

This will be a very interesting last three weeks.

Good luck to all the teams.

In this fantasy who else do you have beating png????

Anything can happen. In 1969 Nederland started off 6-0 with 5 shutouts. They had outscored their opponents 161-14. They were 2-0 in district with a combined score of 69-0. They lost the next two weeks to PN-G by 1 and Lincoln by 2. They got right back on track against Orange Stark 40-0.

How could a team win 7 of their first 9 games by a combine 201-14 with 6 shutouts and lose?

Stranger things have happened in high school football than PN-G losing a couple of games. It isn't likely but they haven't played the games yet. I don't think Dayton and Central are going to be pushovers but time will tell.

Purple 4 ever spends hours and hours dreaming of every possible scenario that gets Dayton in.  Lets hope we don't have any point spread tiebreakers.  One very deserving team will be staying home.  What if the tiebreaker is the teams that with the least amount of playoff appearances in recent history LOL!  I have one question that maybe someone can answer, does anyone know who would be considered District Champs if 3 teams finish at 6-1?  Does it really matter if one school goes big school bracket and 2 go small school bracket.  Would you just look at head up on the 2 small school entries for seeding and all 3 would be considered co-champs?

Purple 4 ever spends hours and hours dreaming of every possible scenario that gets Dayton in.  Lets hope we don't have any point spread tiebreakers.  One very deserving team will be staying home.  What if the tiebreaker is the teams that with the least amount of playoff appearances in recent history LOL!  I have one question that maybe someone can answer, does anyone know who would be considered District Champs if 3 teams finish at 6-1?  Does it really matter if one school goes big school bracket and 2 go small school bracket.  Would you just look at head up on the 2 small school entries for seeding and all 3 would be considered co-champs?

I know that it is head-to-head first, but......

The largest school, no matter what position they are in, is the Division 1 champion.

Since they would no longer be in the mix, there would only be two other teams tied at 6-1. Then it would be head-to-head, correct? There would be no need for a point spread in that case. If one team wins the outright district championship and three teams are tied at 5-2, then point spread would determine which two went and which stayed home.

He really should have tried to score.   I thought about that during the game, but...

can you IMAGINE the whinning if he had "padded" the score?

you're right... it wouldn't have come from those who understand the tiebreaker rules, but to the average joe this would've seemed like ya'll were just running it up.

I can't remember exactly what year it was but I think WO-S was knocked out of the playoffs one year like that. Nederland would have lost on the point spread and there was some controversy over the method but the district board stuck with head-to-head first. What happened (if I remember correctly) was that Nederland, WO-S and another school (PN-G?) were tied at 6-2 in district and tied for second place. Nederland had beaten both other schools but had been upset by another team (much like Vidor last year) that wasn't in the playoff picture.

If it went purely by point spread, Nederland would have stayed home BUT, having beaten both other schools they were tied with, they were awarded the first spot. That left the other two teams and since it was just two teams now, it was again head-to-head.

Maybe someone from WO-S can remember how it went down. I think it was them as the odd man out.

He really should have tried to score.   I thought about that during the game, but...

can you IMAGINE the whinning if he had "padded" the score?

Your right about the whinning.  I think Burnett did the right thing.  Why risk a turnover or block field goal.  The district will not come down to points for tie breakers. 

you're right... it wouldn't have come from those who understand the tiebreaker rules, but to the average joe this would've seemed like ya'll were just running it up.

No, you're not right. Tiebreaker rules aside, if the tables were turned I would've tried to score.  

You talk about Lumberton but you are determined to get something started.

No, you're not right. Tiebreaker rules aside, if the tables were turned I would've tried to score.  

You talk about Lumberton but you are determined to get something started.

it sounds like you're trying to start something.  if something crazy happens and png doesn't go to the playoffs, they might look back at that opportunity to score and wish that they had. he merely pointed out that a lot of people would've not understood and been pissed off if png had tried to score.

Guest maverick24

Are you people on Crack a win by 14 points is not running it up That is so Stupid. Yall act like png was up by 21 and he would have been tacking on a score to go up by 28. I would not be suprised to see 3 teams tied at 6-1 but I dont see one being 6-1 and the rest being 5-2. Sorry but I see Ned as being the odd team out!

it sounds like you're trying to start something.  if something crazy happens and png doesn't go to the playoffs, they might look back at that opportunity to score and wish that they had.

No, just replying to what the two of you wrote first.

Not worth arguing over ::)

Are you people on Crack a win by 14 points is not running it up That is so Stupid. Yall act like png was up by 21 and he would have been tacking on a score to go up by 28. I would not be suprised to see 3 teams tied at 6-1 but I dont see one being 6-1 and the rest being 5-2. Sorry but I see Ned as being the odd team out!

if you had made this statement three weeks ago, i would've thought you were on crack, but now it's a very real possibility.  i'm not entirely ready to send dayton to the playoffs just yet, seeing as they finish up with central, png, AND nederland.  if they can finish up 3-0 in those games, then they've certainly earned their spot in the playoffs.

I know that it is head-to-head first, but......

The largest school, no matter what position they are in, is the Division 1 champion.

Since they would no longer be in the mix, there would only be two other teams tied at 6-1. Then it would be head-to-head, correct? There would be no need for a point spread in that case. If one team wins the outright district championship and three teams are tied at 5-2, then point spread would determine which two went and which stayed home.

Lets say....

PN-G, Lumberton, and Dayton all end up at 6 and 1.

And lets say Dayton beats PN-G by 5 points.

The point spread would be....

Dayton +4, PN-G +2, and Lumberton -6.

But according to tvc, the big school is automatically division I champs, which would be PN-G.

Would it then be Lumberton #2 and Dayton #3 since Lumberton has the head to head over Dayton?

That would change who Dayton and Lumberton play in the first round, but would not alter PN-G's.

if you had made this statement three weeks ago, i would've thought you were on crack, but now it's a very real possibility.  i'm not entirely ready to send dayton to the playoffs just yet, seeing as they finish up with central, png, AND nederland.  if they can finish up 3-0 in those games, then they've certainly earned their spot in the playoffs.

I am really interested to see how Dayton does the next 3 weeks...see how good they really are.

Lets say....

PN-G, Lumberton, and Dayton all end up at 6 and 1.

And lets say Dayton beats PN-G by 5 points.

The point spread would be....

Dayton +4, PN-G +2, and Lumberton -6.

But according to tvc, the big school is automatically division I champs, which would be PN-G.

Would it then be Lumberton #2 and Dayton #3 since Lumberton has the head to head over Dayton?

That would change who Dayton and Lumberton play in the first round, but would not alter PN-G's.

you just gave me a migraine :)

Guest maverick24

Cant see Ned beating Dayton or Lumberton I can see game going either way in png - DAYTON I cant see any way png gets 2 loses. I think Central is done and Ned is done  But assomeone else said stranger things have happened!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami