Vidor's Coaches Through The Years

It is a shame when Vidor says they want a top of the line program and are not willing to pay enough to maintain top assistants, trainers(Vidor has some good ones but they need help), equipment to make it a top of the line program. Matthews should be paid in comparison with the other top coaches in the area.

Why should he be paid commensurate with the 'top' coaches when he is not one and his program is not a 'top' program? 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest piratefaithful

Why should he be paid commensurate with the 'top' coaches when he is not one and his program is not a 'top' program? 

how would Vidor get a quality coach if they dont pay any money??

If mathews is $30,000 underpaid from dayton's coach and neuman ,what do you think the asst.coaches get?   

If you have several openings in the area,and one pays alot more then the other one ,a coach will go where the money is.

If Mathews would have got the BC jobl ast year how do you think Vidor would have got a good coach in there with that kind of pay?

A quality coach isnt going to take a $30,000 paycut to come to vidor and try to win..

OK I have tried to stay out of this, but can't anymore.  I would very much like to see winning % with that list of head coaches.  I would bet Mathews is in the top 5 maybe top 3.  Also from what I read on these message boards it is no wonder a coach doesn't stay more than a year or 2.  You people bash every thing they do. 

You brought up Nederland.  Last year they started 0-2 in district.  Were their people on here saying it was time for a change?  Someone had to go?  No they had faith that their coaches would get it going and they did.  What if there had been an uprising from the parents?  Would that have impacted the kids?  Yes, and they probably wouldn't have been able to make the playoffs.  The parents were part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

After Mathews lead the pirates to the playoffs I am certain he could have gotten a new job.  Bigger school, more money and better chance to win on a regular basis.  He didn't.  Why?  Because he cares about the community and the kids of the community not just the football kids.  I have seen him enteract with kids at basketball and baseball games and they all know him and respect him.  It is not the case at every school.  And this has not always been the case at Vidor.  Many of the AD's you listed wouldn't have minded canceling all other sports.  These were not great men.  Mathews is just that. 

They say it takes a village to raise a child.  Well it takes a community to support an athletic program, and a good % of us suck at it.  Until this improves.  I beleive nothing will change.  We must stop being part of the problem (negative attitude) and start being part of the solution.

OK I have tried to stay out of this, but can't anymore.  I would very much like to see winning % with that list of head coaches.  I would bet Mathews is in the top 5 maybe top 3.  Also from what I read on these message boards it is no wonder a coach doesn't stay more than a year or 2.  You people bash every thing they do. 

You brought up Nederland.  Last year they started 0-2 in district.  Were their people on here saying it was time for a change?  Someone had to go?  No they had faith that their coaches would get it going and they did.  What if there had been an uprising from the parents?  Would that have impacted the kids?  Yes, and they probably wouldn't have been able to make the playoffs.  The parents were part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

After Mathews lead the pirates to the playoffs I am certain he could have gotten a new job.  Bigger school, more money and better chance to win on a regular basis.  He didn't.  Why?  Because he cares about the community and the kids of the community not just the football kids.  I have seen him enteract with kids at basketball and baseball games and they all know him and respect him.  It is not the case at every school.  And this has not always been the case at Vidor.  Many of the AD's you listed wouldn't have minded canceling all other sports.  These were not great men.  Mathews is just that. 

They say it takes a village to raise a child.  Well it takes a community to support an athletic program, and a good % of us suck at it.  Until this improves.  I beleive nothing will change.  We must stop being part of the problem (negative attitude) and start being part of the solution.

I am with you on this one.  I was raised in Vidor and now live in Fannett.  I attend all Vidor games and love to because I am a Pirate fan for life.  What I hate is the uninvolvement (if there is such a word)  of the community.  The only time they get involved is when they lose.  Vidor has been like this for as long as I can remember and you are right... NOTHING will change until they stop being the problem and become the solution. 

Guest piratefaithful

Good Post and I agree for the most part.

A few Errors though.

You  bring up Nederland after they started 0-2 last year,and you said no one was on here saying time for a change....Well Nederland has made it to the post season 11 years running..Of course they arent going to say time for a change.

He did lead us to the playoffs one year..It was a great year that year.But he has been here 9 years.No one is doubting his character or his impact he has had at Vidor..he is a GREAT leader and motivator.He has been at Vidor the longest of all coaches and we have supported him tremendously.

another error that I see in your post is that you say he could have left Vidor alongtime ago,but he didnt ..You maybe right,but the FACT is he tried last year!!!!

He tried to go to BC and they didnt hire him.I for one didnt blame him and he is doing whats best for his family,but what does that tell his players and the community?  So dont say we all suck at supporting Vidor.I believe for 9 years that the community has gave back ,and has filled those stands supporting him and the kids..(just like we should do every Friday night win or lose)But those same people just want what 's best for the kids..Like I said in another post I dont want a state title I just want to compete with schools that are just like us in our district.

If Mathews is the coach I will support him and I will ALWAYS the kids,but dont get on here and act like we are the ones to blame..I will be there this Friday night just like I have been for a VERY longtime.But if you are a fan you cant tell me you dont see what i see in them stands.Heck even the teams that we have played has been on here wondering why we do some of the things we do.

I support Mathews and his coaching staff.I know they put in long hours.

I would just like us to atleast go 500 one year.facts are facts vpride,I dont know the reason but we arent getting it done.and with any football program,NFL,College,highschool,it starts with the Head coach.Is getting rid of him the answer??I hope not!!! I just want more then 1 winning season out of 9 years!!!

Your post is just another way for you to continue to spew your negative attitude behind an annonymous screen name.  You calmed this post down, but the undertones are still there.  And you sir, after reading all of your posts are part of the problem.  Sorry if you don't like it, but it is true.

Just want to say.  I made no errors.  In fact you supported my comment about Nederland.  Saying it was true, but that is because of past success.  Maybe strong support helped lead to the past success as well.

As far as the BC job.  You nor I nor anyone on this board has any idea how that process went.  What went into his decsion or that of the BC school board.  All I no is that if a coach comes to a town like ours and wins almost instantly like he did he would be a hot commodity in the coaching ranks.  But then again you said I may be right about that as well.  So really no mistakes here.

Guest piratefaithful

Your post is just another way for you to continue to spew your negative attitude behind an annonymous screen name.  You calmed this post down, but the undertones are still there.  And you sir, after reading all of your posts are part of the problem.  Sorry if you don't like it, but it is true.

Just want to say.  I made no errors.  In fact you supported my comment about Nederland.  Saying it was true, but that is because of past success.  Maybe strong support helped lead to the past success as well.

As far as the BC job.  You nor I nor anyone on this board has any idea how that process went.  What went into his decsion or that of the BC school board.  All I no is that if a coach comes to a town like ours and wins almost instantly like he did he would be a hot commodity in the coaching ranks.  But then again you said I may be right about that as well.  So really no mistakes here.

facts are facts Sir..

records are records...So you say the fans have been the problem for 9 years??how long should we give someone before we become frustrated.??

are you disputing that he didnt apply for the BC job?? Ned.wasnt on here last year complaining about a new coach because they have had success for 11 years.

Heck even PNG the last couple years has been grumbling about a change..(and he has brought them to the state Game).  you can get mad and dispute my post all you want..but what you cant dispute is the records and the success the other teams have in our district year in and year out..Blame it on the fans or whomever you want but the facts are just what they are.you are saying he was a hot commodity because he had one winning season???   I like the guy and he has been good for Vidor..heck read my other posts I am lobbying for him a raise,I just want to see us compete better...So I dont really think I am the one to blame for Vidor's record..

Vpride, I think pirateunfaithful has indicated his name is Billy Perkins and he sits on the 35 - 40 yard line by the band (close to me), no longer annonymous. However, who cares that Mathews applied for a job somewhere else. He is just like anyone else, trying to better themselves. I, for one, would be looking else where if I made his pay for the work and time he puts in. Can't fault the guy for that. Luckily, win or lose, this man cares for these players and continues to work with them day in and day out.

Guest piratefaithful

Vpride, I think pirateunfaithful has indicated his name is Billy Perkins and he sits on the 35 - 40 yard line by the band (close to me), no longer annonymous. However, who cares that Mathews applied for a job somewhere else. He is just like anyone else, trying to better themselves. I, for one, would be looking else where if I made his pay for the work and time he puts in. Can't fault the guy for that. Luckily, win or lose, this man cares for these players and continues to work with them day in and day out.

Everything you said is correct.I dont blame him for trying to better hisself.

I support the Pirates and whoeever is the Captain of the ship.I just want to see vidor compete ..Go Pirates! I will be there this Friday..

Everything you said is correct.I dont blame him for trying to better hisself.

I support the Pirates and whoeever is the Captain of the ship.I just want to see vidor compete ..Go Pirates! I will be there this Friday..

Are you seriously going to post this statement?  Not sure you've figured this out yet considering you are fairly new.....

all anyone has to do is look at your profile to see all your posts.  Tell me....you still want to stand by your "Captain of the Ship" comment?

Guest piratefaithful

Are you seriously going to post this statement?  Not sure you've figured this out yet considering you are fairly new.....

all anyone has to do is look at your profile to see all your posts.  Tell me....you still want to stand by your "Captain of the Ship" comment?

I dont have any choice do I? Like i said willy ,I dont know if he is the problem or not ,but if you arent winning then it comes back on him,..You stated the OC/DC needs to go didnt you?? yes you did...

if they need to go then who 's decision is that??

Look Mr. Perkins, you can spin this any way you want to.  You have consistently been on here whining about everything to do with vidor football for days now.  You can say you didn't want to have him fired, but you said there needs to be a change made.  That's the same thing.  All I'm saying is if you are going to have this opinion stick with it.  People will respect you more if you aren't riding the fence all the time.

Guest piratefaithful

Look Mr. Perkins, you can spin this any way you want to.  You have consistently been on here whining about everything to do with vidor football for days now.  You can say you didn't want to have him fired, but you said there needs to be a change made.  That's the same thing.  All I'm saying is if you are going to have this opinion stick with it.  People will respect you more if you aren't riding the fence all the time.

Oh I dont believe I am riding the fence..

I have clearly stated where the responsibility lays...I have clearly stated who makes the decision regarding the football team..

I simply point out your refusal to admit that your only motive for joining this site is to down Jeff Mathews and I'm in denial.  That's great.

Actually, I haven't been to a football game this year.  So, I can't speak to what the issues are this year.  However, I have been fortunate enough to work for the man, and I can tell you right now he's top notch.  Get this through your head.  The athletic talent pool in Vidor is incredibly shallow.  It happens that way sometimes.  Go ahead and get someone else in there.  I'll show you more losing seasons.  The problem is people like you who refuse to take in the whole picture.  Personally, I hope he leaves so that he doesn't have to deal with those of you who feel like you can do a better job just because you used to play way back in the day.

Guest piratefaithful

I simply point out your refusal to admit that your only motive for joining this site is to down Jeff Mathews and I'm in denial.  That's great.

Actually, I haven't been to a football game this year.  So, I can't speak to what the issues are this year.  However, I have been fortunate enough to work for the man, and I can tell you right now he's top notch.  Get this through your head.  The athletic talent pool in Vidor is incredibly shallow.  It happens that way sometimes.  Go ahead and get someone else in there.  I'll show you more losing seasons.  The problem is people like you who refuse to take in the whole picture.  Personally, I hope he leaves so that he doesn't have to deal with those of you who feel like you can do a better job just because you used to play way back in the day.

so you havent been to a game,but yet you blame it on the kids??  very classy.

no one says he isnt top notch..why dont you stick to talking about something you know.you havent seen any of the kids play this year or been to ONE game and you blame it on the kids..wow...Now I know why you dont work for him anymore..you arent the smartest one in the chocolate factory

Well I have stayed out of this debate for alot of reasons.

Ol' Willy Wonka stated the talent in Vidor is "incredibly shallow".thats what got me into it.

I understand we dont set the woods on fire with great athletes,but I do believe you are incorrect.

In the sports at Vidor the last couple years we have been to the playoffs in Baseball.Softball,Basketbell,Soccer, and have an outstanding Powerlifting team.Boys and girls.I am sure I left out some sports or other programs. But don't come on here talking about the kids saying a whole town don't have any athletes.

For now I am staying out of the rest of it.I will say this Matthews has done a great deal for Vidor and there athletic programs have came a long way.

I know there is no one more dissappointed and frustrated then him right now.

I do believe both sides have some valid points.

Also It is getting interesting in the stands..It is almost comical at times..some people can get very creative with there criticism.But I do support Matthews and the rest of the coaching staff.Good Luck this Friday night!

This is quite humorous really.  I had the privilege of working in the vidor athletic program for several years.  Peopel like you "faithful" only see what you want to see.  Just like I said before, you refuse to see the whole picture.  I had a front row seat.....from boys to girls, high school down to junior high.....not much athletic talent.  I'm not saying there aren't some kids who are athletic.  Sure there are.  But one or two kids per class does not make an "athletic" class.  I'm not blaming anything on the kids.  They can't help it if they don't have the athletic prowess needed to make up a successful program.  

And if you want to call intelligence into the picture Mr. Perkins.  Bring it on.  I can quote gems of yours such as "I seen it" and "hisself."  You do not want to go there with me.  

Piratefan,

I respect your opinion because you consistently support the pirates.  I'm sorry if you disagree what I say but I hold to it.  Yes, we sporadically send teams to the playoffs but not with the consistency of other schools.

It really is a moot point.  I won't say anything else except that I support the Pirates and their coaching staff no matter what some daddy in the stands thinks.

Piratefan,

I respect your opinion because you consistently support the pirates.  I'm sorry if you disagree what I say but I hold to it.  Yes, we sporadically send teams to the playoffs but not with the consistency of other schools.

It really is a moot point.  I won't say anything else except that I support the Pirates and their coaching staff no matter what some daddy in the stands thinks.

I respect that..WE will agree to disagree then..

just curious are you a Vidor fan or do you live or coach somehwere else?you dont have to answer I was just trying to keep up with some of your post.

thanks

I personally, would not blame him for leaving...BUT....I am thankful everyday that my son has had the opportunity to play for him and experience all of the behind the locker room door lessons that you people, bashing him, never see.  Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it.  Coach Mathews and staff had a lot of confidence damage to undo with my son that was caused by a different coaching staff with a larger than life ego.   THANK YOU to all the Vidor Coaches.  Regardless of what anybody says here, you are first class people.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami