WO-S-Kirbyville game helped us 'smell the roses'

WO-S-Kirbyville game helped us 'smell the roses'

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

In our busy lives, sometimes we forget to smell the roses.

I’ve covered many high school football games over the years, probably around 350 or so now.

Sometimes you get adjusted to the same atmosphere and it can be redundant at times.

However, there are those nights that stick out in your mind more than others and the West Orange-Stark-Kirbyville game in Kirbyville Friday night was one of those games that I’ll always remember as a treat, literally.

There is just something about small-town football that beats the rest and the folks in Kirbyville certainly do it up right.

There fans, despite watching their boys get wiped out by the Mustangs, constantly were cheering their young warriors on until the final tick showed 0.00 and they were definitely fired up before the game.

I know one thing, those boys in Kirbyville probably never have to worry about getting a hot meal. The whole stadium smelled like something was being fried and the aroma was awesome all night.

The press box food was more than the norm. Jenny’s Fried Chicken in town, which happens to have the best fried chicken in the world, catered and there was catfish and shrimp to be had everywhere.

The PA announcer is one of the loudest and proudest guys I’ve ever met and the small-town hospitality was second-to-none.

Then there were the loud horns that were being blown from the Kirbyville faithful throughout the contest. WO-S head coach Dan Hooks probably heard them in his sleep through Friday night and Saturday morning.

It was just a terrific setting that Kirbyville fans can be proud of. They have a darn good little football team and Coach Jack Alvarez has certainly brought the program up after it was in ashes.

Now, on to the game.

The Mustangs looked like they had something to prove. Many had the Wildcats winning District 21-3A this season. However, there is a “little†old team that hails from Orange, Texas that has now won 19 straight games since dropping to the 3A ranks in 2004.

WO-S’ non-district schedule certainly was a boost, lining up against schools nearly twice their size.

The Mustangs’ only blemish was a 15-12 loss to a pretty solid Bay City unit. WO-S certainly entered the season in a “mini†rebuilding mode. Losing three Division I players in two seasons on offense is tough.

Several pundits and those “infamous†gurus on various websites expressed their feelings on certain issues. More power to those knuckleheads, I guess.

When you have young guys on both sides of the ball, non-district time is for trying to mold young players in certain spots and move kids around.

The offense has a first-year starting quarterback, two new starting receivers and an offensive line that has had it’s share of injuries.

So, non-district, that’s the time to tinker and find out what your strengths and weaknesses are and honestly, over the years, nobody has really done that better than WO-S.

Many are talking about how WO-S is a second-half team. That’s what you usually say about teams that are in much better condition than their opponents. Those full-contact drills in darn near every practice and yes, most of the athletic periods as well, go a long way.

Against Kirbyville, the Mustangs just lined up and smacked the Wildcats. Running backs DePauldrick Garrett and Quintavious Garrett and quarterback Ortavious Hypolite all rushed for more than 100 yards.

Help me out Mustang faithful? When is the last time the Mustangs accomplished that feat or has it ever actually happened?

The Mustangs look ready to take on all comers. Not to put any pressure on WO-S or anything, but when Silsbee comes rolling into Dan R. Hooks Stadium Oct. 19, 21-3A bragging rights could be on the line. Silsbee was the last team to really challenge WO-S in 21-3A play, falling to the Mustangs 20-13 at Tiger Stadium last year.

I’m pretty sure the Mustangs’ staff have the know-how to help lead the Mustangs to a fourth straight district crown. I wouldn’t bet against fellas like Hooks, Thompson, Crouch and Dyer and the rest of the gang.

The rest of Orange County, well, there seems to be a concern.

The Mustangs are hanging out at 4-1. The rest of the county — Little Cypress-Mauriceville, Vidor, Bridge City and Orangefield — stand at a collective 2-18. Hopefully that .100 winning percentage changes in the coming weeks because everyone is rooting them on as well.

But, after all, what it all boils down to, it’s just a game and about rallying around a team no matter the circumstances.

I found that out first-hand in Kirbyville Friday and it was a breathe of fresh air.

Oh, by the way, good luck Wildcats on the rest of the season with the exception of this Friday against Orangefield and Oct. 26 against Bridge City.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124