Question

Should a referee be able to calm the student section down? They were not being rude, profain or anything. They were just standing and yelling? Yes they were doing it during the serve, but it was not, IMO, effecting the girl. I could understand not letting them yell if they were calling the numbers or girls names, but none of this was happening, to my knowledge. This is like telling the student section at a football game to be quite. What do you think?

heck...I thought that the crowd noise was just considered to be part of the game.  Every school hopes the students will come and support their team, in ALL sports.  it would be HORRIBLE to have a gym full of students to cheer on their team and then be told 'shhhhh" .  that would be wrong,  let 'em yell!!!

each district has certain guidelines or rules that the home team must follow. for example most districts don't allow any noise makers. most don't allow any kind of signs. also in most districts they can't stand on the floor. that one is really designed just to keep everybody in the stands....obviously!  volleyball officials are the most "powerful" officials in high school sports. if in their opinion someone is being "unsportsmanlike" they can have them removed or can tell them stop what they are doing. i will look up the rules tomorrow and see how the rule book breaks it down.

i talked with some officials tonight..... still can't find my rule book.... anyway, they told me if a group gets too rowdy they can get the administrator on duty to come and "calm" them down. volleyball is handled in a totally different way than basketball. one official told me he got finished with a match early and went to the png lcm game. the official apparently had to "quiet" the student section. i have never seen it before and i have seen a lot of volleyball matches. i kind of like the fact that people are coming to the games and their noise adds to the excitement.

i talked with some officials tonight..... still can't find my rule book.... anyway, they told me if a group gets too rowdy they can get the administrator on duty to come and "calm" them down. volleyball is handled in a totally different way than basketball. one official told me he got finished with a match early and went to the png lcm game. the official apparently had to "quiet" the student section. i have never seen it before and i have seen a lot of volleyball matches. i kind of like the fact that people are coming to the games and their noise adds to the excitement.

That is the game in reference....PNG played an awesome game and very much deserve the win, but I truely believe that it would have been a better game if they administrators would have stayed out of it. The kids were constantly yelling, but nothing was said directly to the players. (as far as I know of) They did have an incident and had the student removed, but not sure of what he said or did.

lettem yell!!! i agree. i have coached and played in "hostile" (i use that word loosely) but i loved every second of it! but i really loved it when i was at home and there was a noisey crowd cheering for us!

oh well. maybe there was something going on at the png game that we don't know about.  who knows.... i hope it never happens again.

i love the noise!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder