**Nederland Wins 29-28!!!!!!**

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nederland bests Brenham despite injury to QB

Ryan Sampere threw for two touchdowns and rushed for two more before a leg injury shortened his first varsity start at quarterback Friday night in Nederland's 29-28 victory over Brenham in Reliant Stadium.

Nederland led 26-14 when Sampere limped off the field with 2:28 left in the third quarter, and a missed extra point with a minute left preserved the team's victory.

Sampere completed 13 of 26 passes for 260 yards. A field goal gave Nederland a 29-14 lead late in the third quarter.

Brenham scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. The Cubs made a two-point pass after the first touchdown but missed an extra point after the second.

Both of Sampere's touchdown passes were to Asa Cardonas. The first pulled the Bulldogs within 14-13 in the second quarter, and the second gave them a 12-point lead.

Taylor Trahan made a 37-yard field with 57 seconds left in the third quarter.

Nederland scored twice after Brenham turnovers.

Brenham fumbled away the ball on the fourth play of the second half, and Sampere lofted a 28-yard pass to Cardonas on the run in the end zone. The first touchdown pass was for 64 yards, caught by Cardonas near the Brenham 40 and ran along the left sideline.

In the second quarter, Nederland recovered a fumbled kickoff and scored on a drive kept alive by a pass interference penalty on fourth down. Sampere scored from the 2-yard line.

Nederland failed to convert on a two-point pass attempt, so its lead stayed 19-14 into halftime.

Guest 87CRU79

Word is that Sampere may have suffered anywhere from a severe sprain to a break. Hopefully this young man will not be as injured as stated above because he has potential to do great things this year in football and baseball.

Holy crap! What a great game! We had the game under control until the Sampere injury. After he got hurt we hung on for dear life. Sampere was incredible tonight as was Cardenas and several other Ned receivers. The defense did a good job. Brenham was very good on offense. I hope Sampere is okay. We won tonight with NO running game whatsoever. I am hoping it was because Brenham has a great run defense. If Sampere is hurt, we may take some lumps until he gets back. Hope it is just a sprain. Great team effort by the Dogs. That was as exciting as any game I can ever remember.

We've been saying all off-season that Ned's defense will be good, they will get better.  The question was over how effective the spread would be.... I think that question got answered.

I just wanted to congratulate Nederland on a great win last night. What a great football game!! Giving up two long TD passes, costly penalties at the wrong time,and losing two fumbles in our own territory was just much for the Cubs to overcome. I hope the injury to your QB Sampere is not as severe as some of your fans were saying after the game. He looked like a great leader for your team. Best of luck the rest of the way, and hopefully, we can both make the playoffs and meet again down the road.

So  does  this make  the  dogs  a state ranked  team?  State  power?  Could they  have  beat the  Coogs?  These are  questions im asking myself.  (Titan where u at? lol)

The Dawgs I saw would have beaten the Coogs I saw in Reliant last night, with the exception their QB stayed healthy.

Guest 87CRU79

Reggie Bush or Emmitt Smith could have been running behind our offensive line and not have gone anywhere. Bass did the best he could with absolutley NO run blocking. He did pick up some very important blitzes in the backfield so Sampere could get his passes off. Brenham had a very strong run defense (they had 4-6 guys in the backfield every run play), and hopefully in the future our passing game will open up the run

If Nederland thinks that are going to roll through district, they are sadly mistaken:

A) O-Line needs to be able to run block. We can't pass the whole game because good defenses won't let that happen.

B)Hopefully, Sampere is not lost for whole season because that didn't look like your run of the mill ankle sprain. My prayers and thoughts are with Ryan and his family.

On a final note, boys enjoy the big win, but you got a whole season ahead of you. Good Luck

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83