Young Stangs gearing up for fierce Broncos

Young Stangs gearing up for fierce Broncos

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

Two of Southeast Texas’ most prominent programs will lock horns in quite a non-district “doozie†tonight at Dan R. Hooks Stadium at West Orange-Stark High School.

Both the West Orange-Stark Mustangs and Dayton Broncos captured their respective district titles last year with undefeated marks with WO-S going 7-0 in District 21-3A and the Broncos going 7-0 in District 22-4A.

The Mustangs, 11-1 in 2006, went to Dayton last year in their opener and trailed the Broncos 9-6 in the third quarter before erupting for the game’s final 20 points to win 26-9.

Both teams lost a lot of talent to graduation but the cupboard is far from bare on both sides of the ball.

The Broncos return quarterback Cody Green, who became the full-time starter in Week Four last season. Green went on to pass for 1,589 yards and 20 touchdowns and also rushed for 689 yards on 95 carries and four TDs. Receiver A.J. Dugat is also one of seven offensive starters back in the mix. Dugat hauled in 47 passes for 706 yards and nine TDs in 2006.

“I tell you what, those two guys will be a handful for our young defense,†said long-time Mustang head coach Dan Hooks. “They have speed everywhere. They run that spread offense to near perfection. The Green kid reminds me of (Kenneth (Beasley). He’s just about has Beasley’s speed, yet he’s so much bigger, going about 6-3.â€

The Mustangs return just three starters on the defensive side of the ball off a defensive unit that allowed just a mere 177.8 yards per game in 2006.

The Mustangs lost the services, thanks to graduation, to all-district performers such as quarterback Andre Bevil and receivers Earl Thomas and Jacoby Franks but have plenty of youngsters that hope to fill the bill.

Leading the charge is veteran senior tailback DePauldrick Garrett. Garrett darted his way to 1,389 yards and 17 TDs on 191 carries as a junior. Veterans like senior receiver Ronnie Dennis and senior offensive linemen Tim Matherne and Brandon Allensworth should be a huge plus as well to help young junior quarterback Ortavious Hypolite out along with several other first-year starters.

The Broncos are youthful on defense as well, returning just four starters from their 9-3 2006 unit.

“Our offense has a lot of new faces but I think they performed well overall in our two scrimmages,†Hooks said. “I hope that carries over into the Dayton game. One thing for certain, we’ve got a tough one right out of the chute.â€

Coach Hooks has a lot of admiration for long-time Dayton head coach Jerry Stewart.

‘Coach Stewart and I go way back and you can guarantee that he will have the Broncos ready every week,†Hooks said. “They’re going to present a major challenge for our young kids. I know Dayton is probably a favorite to win but our kids have a lot of confidence and they think we have a great chance to win.â€

The Dayton tilt is just one of three straight non-district dates with Class 4A squads before 21-3A play cranks up for WO-S. The Mustangs go to an up-and-coming Little Cypress-Mauriceville in Week Two and then face Bay City in Week Three.

“It’s a very tough schedule,†Hooks said. “You would like to win them all but like we tell the kids, it’s not the most important thing as long as you’re getting better. Hopefully we’ll be good and healthy by the time Hamshire-Fannett rolls in here Sept. 28 for district.â€

Predictions

Wade’s Pick: Dayton 30. WO-S 26

Pruett’s Pick: Dayton 35, WO-S 20

Rollinson’s Pick: WO-S 21, Dayton 17

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124