COOGS ARE LOADED

injuns

Will be good test for Indians. Ten starters back from state champonship team.

The Daily News   

Published August 30, 2007

LA MARQUE — What a way for Chris Jones to make his debut as La Marque’s head football coach. Jones, now at the helm of the defending Class 4A, Division II champs, will coach his first game as a Cougar against Port Neches-Groves at 5 p.m. Friday at Reliant Stadium.

“I mean, of all places for it to be, it’s a neat thing,†he said. “When I first got the job, I didn’t know that. When I found out, I realized it was a big deal.

“Of course for the kids who were on the team last year, they’ve been through all that. But it’ll be a new experience for our staff, because most of the guys are new.â€

The Cougars beat Nederland, 28-20, in last year’s season opener at Reliant en route to a 15-1 state championship season.

Jones will be under the microscope as the Coogs’ new coach. He replaces Bryan Erwin, who is now the head coach at Lewisville Marcus.

Erwin compiled a 65-8 record and won two state titles during five seasons at La Marque, and he steps into a program that’s played in nine state championship games and won five since 1986.

Starting things off at Reliant, the Houston Texans home stadium, only adds to the pressure.

“It can be a good pressure too, because it makes you work hard,†said Jones, who was the head coach at Class 2A Refugio the previous four years. “We’re looking forward to it and excited about being there.â€

Port Neches-Groves returns three starters on offense and seven on defense from a 5-5 team a year ago. Jones said the Indians were impressive in their two scrimmages.

“They’re solid,†he said. “You go back and research their history, they’ve been a solid program and respectful for a long time. They’re hungry to get back where they were. They’ve been out of the playoffs for the last two years. I know they’re going to come out there ready to play.â€

Especially since the Indians would like nothing more than to take down the defending state champs at Reliant.

“That’s something we really stress to our kids,†Jones said. “You get to the top, and you’re trying to stay there. It’s always hard to stay there. The target is on our back every week. Everybody on the schedule is going to bring their ‘A’ game.

“For anybody on our schedule to take a shot at us and be successful, it’s going to make their year and get them off to a great start.â€

The Coogs return seven starters on offense and three on defense. That means Jones and his staff will have a lot of work getting the Coogs ready for a tough nondistrict schedule and a possible threat from Friendswood in District 23-4A.

But Jones is up for the challenge, and he can’t wait to get started Friday evening.

“I know the kids are excited, and we’re ready to see what we can do,†he said. “I’ve talked to the kids about how we can’t live off last year’s group and their success. We can take that and try to repeat those things, but our own identity is going to have to be established.

“This is a different group from 2006. We’ve got a lot question marks, but I know some kids will step in there,†Jones said.

“It’s their time to shine. They’ll try to keep that tradition that was established here long before we got there.â€

Like this is news to anyone.

It doesn't matter if they return 2 every year. With the talent that is in La Marque....the juniors/seniors usually play and the rest of the juniors and the sophomores simply wait their turn. Not to mention the move-ins that seem to migrate to a perennial state power (i.e. southlake, LM, etc.). Even though they could win without them...it helps.

In the dictionary beside the word reload is a picture of the LM Coogs. No matter what their enrollment they always have tons of talent.

I don't think anyone has knocked LM, but we do pull for our Indians. So you can talk about how great the Coogs are, but we're still going to show up and the kids will play thier hearts out. The boys of PNG and Nederland will be playing for the whole community (golden triangle), hopefully pull out a W. LM is no secret to anybody around here, so posting stuff about them doesn't make a difference in my thinking. Have a nice day

I don't think anyone has knocked LM, but we do pull for our Indians. So you can talk about how great the Coogs are, but we're still going to show up and the kids will play thier hearts out. The boys of PNG and Nederland will be playing for the whole community (golden triangle), hopefully pull out a W. LM is no secret to anybody around here, so posting stuff about them doesn't make a difference in my thinking. Have a nice day

No, MC will be playing for MC and they'll get the starched knocked out of them about midway through the 3rd if not sooner....

is that 6'6 WR back?

No he's at the University of Houston playing ball but there is a kid similiar in statue to him who was used as a tightend last year. He moved to reciever this year though.....from the scrimmage action I saw he looks to be the same kind of athlete......

With all the negative posts about how bad the Indians will do against LM, my Q. is...Just how small of a margin of victory would LM have to have for Titan & SFA to admit that PNG played a good game?  3 pts,? 10 pts.?  I mean, since you football gurus seem to know it all and beleive that LM will make it ugly, early,  just what would it take for you to admit that PNG played a good game against the #1 ranked team in Texas?.....Just curious.

With all the negative posts about how bad the Indians will do against LM, my Q. is...Just how small of a margin of victory would LM have to have for Titan & SFA to admit that PNG played a good game?  3 pts,? 10 pts.?  I mean, since you football gurus seem to know it all and beleive that LM will make it ugly, early,  just what would it take for you to admit that PNG played a good game against the #1 ranked team in Texas?.....Just curious.

All teams are good until they are no longer considered to make the playoffs. That's when you can tell the difference between the men and the boys. Those that did it and those that tried. I expect a close game myself.  PNG is full of pride and rich on tradition and that does account for somethings when it comes to high school football.  I predict La Marque to win on shear desire, something that has been instilled in our athletes from day one. The margin of victory  ??? It depends on how quickly the Coogs learn the new spread. This could be another year like 2003 when they busted all the scoring record books in school history.

I really beleive that the Coogs will surprise everyone with a conservative game. Notice I didn't say victory. Realize folks that this is an untested commodity. New coaching staff with only one or two exceptions, totally new offensive strategy, totally new defensive strategy, and for the first time in a long time....considerably smaller players with out blazing team speed. I am a staunch Coog fan, but I am also a realist, and  the product will have to speak for itself before I am convinced that it is a traditional fast physical LaMarque team. The Indians will provide a reasonable test for the new Coogs and the margin of victory EITHER WAY will not influence the ultimate goal of a state championship. See you at Reliant!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really beleive that the Coogs will surprise everyone with a conservative game. Notice I didn't say victory. Realize folks that this is an untested commodity. New coaching staff with only one or two exceptions, totally new offensive strategy, totally new defensive strategy, and for the first time in a long time....considerably smaller players with out blazing team speed. I am a staunch Coog fan, but I am also a realist, and  the product will have to speak for itself before I am convinced that it is a traditional fast physical LaMarque team. The Indians will provide a reasonable test for the new Coogs and the margin of victory EITHER WAY will not influence the ultimate goal of a state championship. See you at Reliant!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully this will help us compete on Friday, and sneak out with a win. Thanks lamarex for adding a little insight to some of these people around here. LaMarque is LaMarque and thier always strong, BUT believe it or not there are some question marks about this years LM team, and hopefully this will be to our advantage.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder