Sideline Warnings

Guest Wildcat 08

Guest Wildcat 08

Sideline Warnings

They said on football game broadcast last night that officials will be enforcing the sideline warnings more this season. Coaches will not be happy.

Guest coachhooker

i dont really like this rule but it is a rule and lucky i am in the box so i cant get called for it and not really a football note but bonds just poped out

Hooks is on the field quite a bit, but certainly no more than guys like Neumann and Matthews. He's just called on it more on boards like this. But after Ned fans made a big deal about him doing it, I started noticing how much Neumann is out there - as did my fellow Mustang fans.

Wildcat08 I don't know what made you come out with this thread but that rule has been ruled on Central the whole season on the Jaguars, every game they played last year was called  on them at least 4 times a game and you look across the field in which others coaches were doing the same and not once did I see them throw a flag on the other school. The refs even tell the coaches to tell the Central band to keep it down and they the others schools have horns, cow bells, what ever that is Nederland fans be rubbing on against the stands that creates noise like a washing board. Its really amazing how they just singled out one school and not others were unjust. Now they going to use that rule, thats funny.

Are we really discussing this..... 

This rule is about not being able to move the chains and set the markers to keep the game moving... not so much about the coach on the field.  That is a sportsmanship issue. 

This rule is about as bad as the block in the back that supposedly happened 50 yards behind the game winning break-away running touchdown....

This is why I do not officiate football.  Some rules are just stupid.

But it is what it is....

The purpose for the rule is primarily safety.  If you all recall, an official ran into a coach on a long run two years ago and the coach suffered severe head injuries.  He will never be able to coach again.  His family is sueing the Texas Association of Sports Officials (TASO) for damages.  That said, TASO will be extremely sensitive to this issue. 

Are we really discussing this..... 

This rule is about not being able to move the chains and set the markers to keep the game moving... not so much about the coach on the field.  That is a sportsmanship issue. 

This rule is about as bad as the block in the back that supposedly happened 50 yards behind the game winning break-away running touchdown....

This is why I do not officiate football.  Some rules are just stupid.

But it is what it is....

What is stupid is the block in the back 50 yds behind the play (thats called a cheap shot).  Good call by the official (my opinion).

Wildcat08 I don't know what made you come out with this thread but that rule has been ruled on Central the whole season on the Jaguars, every game they played last year was called  on them at least 4 times a game and you look across the field in which others coaches were doing the same and not once did I see them throw a flag on the other school. The refs even tell the coaches to tell the Central band to keep it down and they the others schools have horns, cow bells, what ever that is Nederland fans be rubbing on against the stands that creates noise like a washing board. Its really amazing how they just singled out one school and not others were unjust. Now they going to use that rule, thats funny.

Well said!  Stowers point across the field to the other sidelines.  The ref don't want to turn around and look.  Kinda like a wrestling ref.  They never see what goes on behind them and then never want to turn around and look.  Wow. 

What is stupid is the block in the back 50 yds behind the play (thats called a cheap shot).  Good call by the official (my opinion).

Key word in my statement was "supposedly".  If there really is a penalty then it should be called but I rarely see one that is a legitimate one.

As for Klein Bearcat's response, it was an excellent addition to the rule explanation.  I had totally forgotten about the coach that was hurt and I was not aware that he was suing.

I stand corrected.

The purpose for the rule is primarily safety.  If you all recall, an official ran into a coach on a long run two years ago and the coach suffered severe head injuries.  He will never be able to coach again.  His family is sueing the Texas Association of Sports Officials (TASO) for damages.  That said, TASO will be extremely sensitive to this issue. 

Well it's about time somebody gets it right. I am an official and this is the EXACT reason for the rule being a point of emphasis (again). It is a safety issue. You will also see spearing or leading with the crown of the helmet called more this year. Why? To keep kids out of wheelchairs! Not the ball carriers but the tacklers.

Kinda gets back to one of the basketball threads.  One ref may be more strict about this than the other official on the other side.

I'm OK with the rule as long as the infraction gets enforced in the correct manner.  In other words, don't take away a 70 yard run/reception  and TD away from a team because of it. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder