WO-S cousins Netherly, Thomas in All-Star Games

WO-S cousins Netherly, Thomas in All-Star tilts

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

It’s always a special feeling to land on an All-Star Game roster.

For West Orange-Stark next week, it’s a double-whammy.

Richard Netherly and Earl Thomas, both 2007 WO-S High School graduates, will participate in their respective All-Star games — Netherly in basketball and Thomas in football.

That’s quite a feat for two outstanding former Mustangs and to top it, they are cousins.

Netherly will be competing for the South All-Stars in the Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star Basketball Game Monday at 7:30 p.m. at Texas Christian University’s Daniel Meyers Coliseum. Meanwhile, Thomas will line up for the South All-Star football team Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m. at TCU’s Amon Carter Field.

Both were teammates on the varsity basketball team for four seasons. The Mustangs made the postseason the last three years, advancing all the way to the Class 3A State Tournament in 2006 where they fell in the state semifinals.

“It’s going to be awesome to represent West Orange-Stark one more time and to know that Earl (Thomas) is playing the next night, that’s an even better feeling,†said Netherly. “That’s a blessing, to have two cousins playing in All-Star games like that. We’ve been rooting each other on for a long time now and we get to do it a little bit longer.â€

Thomas had the same sentiments.

“It’s a tremendous feeling to have two from the same school participating in All-Star games but it’s even better knowing that Richard and I are relatives,†Thomas said. “We back each other all the time. It’ll be one of those moments that you will take with you the rest of your life.â€

Long-time WO-S Athletic Director Dan Hooks was thrilled for both players.

“It’s rare when you have two athletes from the same school participating in such prestigious events but with them being cousins too, that’s just super. You don’t here of that much. Both are tremendous kids that deserve it. Both played key parts in the success of two solid programs.â€

Netherly, who will play at Navarro Junior College in the fall, was a superb post, averaging over 20 points and 12 rebounds a game the last two seasons while Thomas was a sparkplug at guard, averaging in double figures and directing the offense and defense.

Both received prestigious Southeast Texas awards to conclude their tremendous runs in a WO-S uniform.

Thomas was selected as the Defensive Award winner at the Willie Ray Smith Awards while Netherly earned the Mr. Inside Award at the James Gamble Awards.

Thomas, who will play football at the University of Texas, was awesome at defensive back, wide receiver, running back and as a returner in his three-year stint in a Mustang uniform that saw WO-S win three straight District 21-3A crowns. WO-S went 23-2 the last two seasons including a trip to the 3A State Semifinals in 2005.

As a senior, Thomas had his hand in 24 touchdowns. He caught 40 passes for 861 yards and 13 TDs and rushed for 387 yards on 55 carries and scored 9 TDs on the ground.

Thomas, who has made great strides already at the University of Texas from his defensive back slot, including picking off a couple passes in front of standout Longhorn receiver Limas Sweed, is looking forward to representing the Mustangs one more time.

“WO-S has had several outstanding players in the game in the past and I just want to go out there and represent a school that everyone across the state has so much respect for,†Thomas said. “I don’t know about playing any at receiver but I will be at defensive back and was told that I would be involved in the kickoff and punt returns.â€

Thomas is anxious about the first official practice at Texas, which rolls around Aug, 6.

“They put you through it here, that’s for sure,†Thomas said. “I’ve never worked so hard in my life. In high school, I played so many sports which means I wasn’t in the weightroom all the time. I’m getting stronger and faster and the hard work is paying off already.â€

Netherly, who is 6-6, 200 pounds, is anxious to strut his prowess at the All-Star event.

“I’ve always played post in high school but I’ve really been working hard at handling the ball during the offseason,†Netherly said. “At Navarro, I won’t be inside as much. I’ll be more of a small-foward type. The coaches said they were going to let me handle the ball some. I’m really looking forward to that.â€

Two other local players will be on Netherly’s South squad including Kountze guard Cameron Powell (6-2, 180), who helped lead the Lions to the Class 2A state title and will , and West Hardin guard Brandon Letsinger (6-3, 170), who has signed to play at Stephen F. Austin University.

Joining Thomas on the South All-Star football roster will be former Beaumont Central quarterback Brandon Williams (6-4, 215), who signed with Texas A&M University.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami