4th seed

oldschool2

2 hours ago, oldbuc77 said:

I think part of the issue stems from the UIL maintaining an equal number of districts in each classification/division. This results in the same number of rounds/playoff games in each. Nice and symmetrical. The problem arises because schools of a certain size are not evenly dispersed across the state. Some areas may have a lot of small schools (easy to create 7 or 8 team districts) and few large schools (hard to create 7 or 8 team districts) or vice versa. Then you have those areas where no matter the size of the school, it's a hell of a long way to play anyone. This is compounded by at least appearing to keep the enrollment differentials as close to the same as possible across classifications/divisions. I'm not a fan of 4, 5, or 6 team districts either, but I can see the challenge there.

The answer may be to have different numbers of districts in different classifications. You may have a four round playoff in some, and 5 or 6 rounds in others. If I remember correctly, Florida is set up that way. Downside: it would blow the hell out of championship weekend....

One location UIL Championship week is here to stay so is 4 teams in the playoffs I think what's coming next is splitting 6A into two divisions