Who will be the best team in the area in 2008?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like we need an  early season tournament which would include say: Nederland, PNG, WB, Bridge City, Jasper and Silsbee--to settle this blind speculation.

We could likewise have a like team JV Tournament at another location at the same time.

;)

That would be a great event but......JMO........Brook would be playing down and not benefit from it......even if they lost every game....it would not be any help for preparing them for district.........A good Jasper, a good BC, and a good Silsbee are still not Kingwood......the only way any of these games could be seen as meaning anything is if they were all in a district race......or everyone threw their one or two when they played.......

(back when area teams played in all or one area tournament)  I might be wrong but I don't remember the '92 BC team winning an area tournament that year (I know they didn't win all three)  PN-G won the Nederland tourney and Nederland won the WO-S tourney I don't remember who won the PN-G tourney(could have been BC) but I do know BC went to the State Finals that year....... no doubt they were the better team when it counted.......

That would be a great event but......JMO........Brook would be playing down and not benefit from it......even if they lost every game....it would not be any help for preparing them for district.........A good Jasper, a good BC, and a good Silsbee are still not Kingwood......the only way any of these games could be seen as meaning anything is if they were all in a district race......or everyone threw their one or two when they played.......

(back when area teams played in all or one area tournament)  I might be wrong but I don't remember the '92 BC team winning an area tournament that year (I know they didn't win all three)  PN-G won the Nederland tourney and Nederland won the WO-S tourney I don't remember who won the PN-G tourney(could have been BC) but I do know BC went to the State Finals that year....... no doubt they were the better team when it counted.......

You are right WB would gain nothing from playing a tournament with the local 3A and 4A teams.  I believe BC and Jasper could give them a solid game with their aces on the mound, but good 5A ball is another level of competition. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a lot of trouble following some of the reasoning.  It would seem to me that if WB could easily end up in the middle of the pack in a tournament playing Silsbee., BC, Ned, Jasper, PNG, & LCM: HOW COULD THAT HURT THEM, EXCEPT THEIR 5A PRIDE?

Yes, these teams are not Kingwood but if you can't beat them? what/how does the "Kingwood" references on here really matter?

I would like to see a big tournament which also included Lake Charles-Barbe and Sulphur, LA. in the heap.

If BROOK can't cut it in this type competition--then they need to know it as soon as possible!

I am having a lot of trouble following some of the reasoning.  It would seem to me that if WB could easily end up in the middle of the pack in a tournament playing Silsbee., BC, Ned, Jasper, PNG, & LCM: HOW COULD THAT HURT THEM, EXCEPT THEIR 5A PRIDE?

Yes, these teams are not Kingwood but if you can't beat them? what/how does the "Kingwood" references on here really matter?

I would like to see a big tournament which also included Lake Charles-Barbe and Sulphur, LA. in the heap.

If BROOK can't cut it in this type competition--then they need to know it as soon as possible!

Yeah I'd like to see that! at lest for some local bragging rights!

Bridge City, LCM, Lumberton, vidor, Jasper,sulphur, Barbe, Nederland, westbrook, central, silsbee and Buna just to see what they could do.....

Guest Orangeboy

Yeah I'd like to see that! at lest for some local bragging rights!

Bridge City, LCM, Lumberton, vidor, Jasper,sulphur, Barbe, Nederland, westbrook, central, silsbee and Buna just to see what they could do.....

I would also like to see teams such as Barbers Hill and Huffman just to get some more quality teams involved.

I would also like to see teams such as Barbers Hill and Huffman just to get some more quality teams involved.

Yeah forgot about Barbers Hill.... these coaches need to start planning this it'd be the best thing that's ever happened to setx high school baseball!! and to make it sweeter the winner of the tournament get's an automatic playoff bid.....lol

Guest Orangeboy

Many coaches now adays do not want to face district opponents in predistrict. Don't really understand why that has changed so much within the last 10 years but it has.

To Orangeboy:  A tournament of this nature with a large amount of quality teams is skewed to place all teams involved-- as playing teams of other classifications and districts at the first two or three bottom layers of the tiers of the tournament play.

It would be quite unlikely that teams reaching the tops of the brackets would meet District foes.

Remember even if that happened, most top-flight pitching is spent at that point and the games would not even be similar to when they meet later in district competitive action.

I think a Thursday, Friday, Saturday tournament at Lamar stadium would get more people interested in deep SE TX area quality HS baseball.  More fans following these teams would enhance the whole BB thrust for our area!

Guest Orangeboy

To Orangeboy:  A tournament of this nature with a large amount of quality teams is skewed to place all teams involved-- as playing teams of other classifications and districts at the first two or three bottom layers of the tiers of the tournament play.

It would be quite unlikely that teams reaching the tops of the brackets would meet District foes.

Remember even if that happened, most top-flight pitching is spent at that point and the games would not even be similar to when they meet later in district competitive action.

I think a Thursday, Friday, Saturday tournament at Lamar stadium would get more people interested in deep SE TX area quality HS baseball.  More fans following these teams would enhance the whole BB thrust for our area!

I understand that, and would like to see something like this happen.

I studied the size of this thing and it might be better it Huffman, Barbers Hill and the other schools in the Baytown area get together in a like Tournament over there a little east of Houston.  I am afraid that the Golden Triangle will pretty well fill up a big local Tournament.

I am sure it would not be hard for the Baytown area to also put together an ace tournament.

It could be a one game winners tournament between the winner on the Baytown area and the Golden Triangle area could take place as the grand finale. ;D

im going with PNG being up there at the top of next year  they lost 2 senior starters  that means the rest of the team is coming back  they will have a strong pitching staff  eric harrington and jerin spikes being there aces and they also have some strong relief pitching if they need it 

there defense will be solid 

C-Carnahan  1B-spikes  2B-garcia  3B-beniot  SS-harrington  LF-?? CF-raynga  RF-??  all returning starters except RF LF  the only place they might struggle is hitting 

Yes, these teams are not Kingwood but if you can't beat them? what/how does the "Kingwood" references on here really matter?I would like to see a big tournament which also included Lake Charles-Barbe and Sulphur, LA. in the heap.

Preseason tourney's (not scrimmages)......would you not like the competition to be against teams you are preparing to play in district or better.........or do you set it up against teams you think you have a better chance of getting wins against?? Grant it the talent pool has been drained at West Brook from '05 to last year......yet that does not change who their district foes are or what the ultimate reason for putting on the uniform is for.......everyone wants to be where Jasper is right now..........being put in an area tourney would not be the right step for West Brook to take...Point blank!!....

It would be better to struggle against the competition level you are set to play at then play down and struggle......you would lose the reality of where you are trying to get........  West Brook is not trying to be the best in Southeast Texas........they are trying to be the best "5a" team in the state!!!!!!! so, what would be great for Southeast Texas would not be great for West Brook high school.....

;D funny..........I think it's under those red feathers to the left of your screen......lol

;D.....or it could be the "van down by the river"........lol

Seriously.......research question......Pick any other 21-5a team (excluding PAM) and look at their preseason schedule Check Kingwood out themselves and the teams they play(Katy, Tomball, The Woodlands).........how many 3a teams do any of them play??........the "BIG O", Zero, Nada..........Look at how many 4a schools make their schedules.....the one team you see the most of on many top 5a schools is Brenham.........

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Love Binding Psychics
    Newest Member
    Love Binding Psychics