Will PNG ever be good again?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pngpurplenwhite

When we run the same plays over and over it doesn't matter where we play. Just glad we're getting the Turf for next season.

Thought the football upgrades wouldn't be completed till the 2008 season. Including field turf.

Guest pngpurplenwhite

Think that's what he means is for next season (08).

What I meant Coop, it wouldn't be ready the upcoming year.

Look, the majority of high schools with the exception of a few go through phases where they have good teams, then bad teams. It depends on what crop of athletes are at the school at that time.  Don't get me wrong if the crop of athletes aren't the most talented bunch, then that's when coaching can hurt you the most. Alot of changes need to be made, but the Indians will be back.  Your not going to see alot of teams from SE TX going to the finals every year due to the growth in all other areas of the state where new schools are opening and a large influx of people are moving. We are who we are in this part of Texas.  We may not be as good as we once were, but people in the state will still remember when they play a team from this area.  Good luck to all area teams and proove me wrong.

Someone correct me if I am wrong......PN-G was district Champs in 2003 and 2004 (not sure if both were outright) then lost a coin flip to not go to the playoffs in 2005. 2006 was a waste of talent I agree. But for someone to ask if PNG will ever be good again is pretty ignorant. I can think of a whole bunch of schools that would love to have the success we have had over the last 8 to 10 years. Since 1994 under Matt Burnett PN-G has only had 3 losing seasons. I could be going out on a limb here but I doubt Central, LC-M, Vidor, Lumberton or maybe Ozen could say the same thing. TJ/Lincoln couldn't. Nederland has been a very steady performer and in my opinion the most consistent team in the area, but I don't think they have won an outright district championship during that time and damn sure have not played for a state title along with the rest of the area 4A teams. So in short, a down year (even at 5-5) and coming up short against a better coached Nederland does not spell the end of the PNG football tradition.

Nederland has been a very steady performer and in my opinion the most consistent team in the area, but I don't think they have won an outright district championship during that time and dang sure have not played for a state title along with the rest of the area 4A teams.

Nederland has never won an outright district championship under Larry Neuman. They've owned us but no mas on the outright championship.

Not bashing, just pointing it out.  I'm more concerned about how far we get into the playoffs than if we won a dc.  We went out in the same round as the dc from all the local districts so what did they gain?

you're exactly right...I agree

on that note though, it seems that we are talking about quality of the trip to the playoffs. I wouldn't mind having a fairly recent trip to the finals like PNG.

PNG will be good again. I don't necessarily think it is the coaches fault...but a change of scenery is good from time to time.

Just for clarification.....This thread is "will PN-G ever be good again" as if they have sucked for some time now. I brought up the other schools to show that they have not been that bad and when they have they typically bounce back. I myself hate the ups and downs, which is why I pointed out the steady performance of Nederland as much as I hate it. In conclusion, this thread has no basis due to PNG not really being bad. Average at worst, but not bad. And yes they will be good again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Indian Chief

What's hurts us besides play calling is the fact other areas ouside of Southeast Texas are growing (alot) and we're just kinda staying level or the same as far as enrollment goes.

Someone correct me if I am wrong......PN-G was district Champs in 2003 and 2004 (not sure if both were outright) then lost a coin flip to not go to the playoffs in 2005. 2006 was a waste of talent I agree. But for someone to ask if PNG will ever be good again is pretty ignorant. I can think of a whole bunch of schools that would love to have the success we have had over the last 8 to 10 years. Since 1994 under Matt Burnett PN-G has only had 3 losing seasons. I could be going out on a limb here but I doubt Central, LC-M, Vidor, Lumberton or maybe Ozen could say the same thing. TJ/Lincoln couldn't. Nederland has been a very steady performer and in my opinion the most consistent team in the area, but I don't think they have won an outright district championship during that time and dang sure have not played for a state title along with the rest of the area 4A teams. So in short, a down year (even at 5-5) and coming up short against a better

coached Nederland does not spell the end of the PNG football tradition.

But for someone to ask if PNG will ever be good again is pretty ignorant.

Ahhh daaaaa, i'm not a smart man jenny

Guest wos country

What's hurts us besides play calling is the fact other areas ouside of Southeast Texas are growing (alot) and we're just kinda staying level or the same as far as enrollment goes.

We feel your pain. >:(

if i was at port neches enrollment would be the least of my worries. what they need to do is clean house with a new coach and get back to the png glory days. just my opinion...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn