Why is Congress Questioning Zuckerberg

Englebert

I'm curious as to why Congress is trying to blame Zuckerberg for a breach of personal data. The Facebook agreement flat out says they can sell your data. One congressman (I just saw a short clip) said that Zuckerberg's user agreement sucks. So why is he questioning Zuckerberg? Why is he not chastising his constituents that signed an agreement that sucks? Does he think he is so much of an elitist that he is the only one that understands a plain English agreement, and that he needs to coddle the little peons who are too stupid to comprehend this simple language? Does he not understand that by not holding Americans accountable for their own actions that he is encouraging more lazy behavior. I fully understand and agree with going after people that engage in fraudulent business practices, but the Facebook User Agreement is not fraudulent at all. I read the agreement about 10 years ago, and I can say I have never been a member...solely due to that agreement. If anyone should have to appear before Congress, it should be the members of Facebook. I can't stand Zuckerberg's business model, and especially Facebook's seemingly targeting of Conservatives. But to target the User Agreement is just elitist, condescending, and another failure of the "adults" holding their "children" accountable. 

Granted, I did not watch any of the hearings, and I view Zuckerberg as writhing at the bottom of the barrel in moral turpitude. (I don't view him underneath the barrel where many Liberals reside.) I think he is pathetic in his promise to root out "hate speech", when anyone with a semblance of cognitive ability knows "hate speech" is merely a matter of perspective. He is actually advocating for censorship of ideas based on a biased formula. So I have no sympathy for him being in the "hotseat". But to misplace blame like this I find highly offensive and detrimental to the survival of this country.

Again, I don't have the foggiest idea of why Zuckerberg is even before Congress. Can someone please elaborate and possibly ease my unease about the intelligence of our elitist Congress?

26 minutes ago, Englebert said:

I'm curious as to why Congress is trying to blame Zuckerberg for a breach of personal data. The Facebook agreement flat out says they can sell your data. One congressman (I just saw a short clip) said that Zuckerberg's user agreement sucks. So why is he questioning Zuckerberg? Why is he not chastising his constituents that signed an agreement that sucks? Does he think he is so much of an elitist that he is the only one that understands a plain English agreement, and that he needs to coddle the little peons who are too stupid to comprehend this simple language? Does he not understand that by not holding Americans accountable for their own actions that he is encouraging more lazy behavior. I fully understand and agree with going after people that engage in fraudulent business practices, but the Facebook User Agreement is not fraudulent at all. I read the agreement about 10 years ago, and I can say I have never been a member...solely due to that agreement. If anyone should have to appear before Congress, it should be the members of Facebook. I can't stand Zuckerberg's business model, and especially Facebook's seemingly targeting of Conservatives. But to target the User Agreement is just elitist, condescending, and another failure of the "adults" holding their "children" accountable. 

Granted, I did not watch any of the hearings, and I view Zuckerberg as writhing at the bottom of the barrel in moral turpitude. (I don't view him underneath the barrel where many Liberals reside.) I think he is pathetic in his promise to root out "hate speech", when anyone with a semblance of cognitive ability knows "hate speech" is merely a matter of perspective. He is actually advocating for censorship of ideas based on a biased formula. So I have no sympathy for him being in the "hotseat". But to misplace blame like this I find highly offensive and detrimental to the survival of this country.

Again, I don't have the foggiest idea of why Zuckerberg is even before Congress. Can someone please elaborate and possibly ease my unease about the intelligence of our elitist Congress?

Good post and good point.

However, I must inform you that I am unable to ease your unease about the intelligence of our elitist Congress.

They know they can make a bigger splash with this grandstanding on the big bad businessman than pointing the finger at folks that can’t read the fine print.

14 hours ago, Englebert said:

I don't do Facebook and have never read their policies. If what you say is true, and I'd bet the house that it is, then you are 100% correct.

I still don't care for the Zuck.

14 hours ago, Englebert said:

So they can have an opportunity to showboat and increase government involvement in our daily lives.