*Bridge City 10 vs. HF 8 Final/Tuesday*

im tellin you...this district is tough..throw the predictions out the window...all the "lower teams" if thats what you want to call them are still good whether people want to say it or not...people can be beat w/ small ball and being "scrappy"  hf is a solid team..there is a reason why jasper played them close too folks..they are no gimmie

HF...400-100-3.....8-10-5

BC...032-041-x....10-11-0

WP...Matt Hicks

LP....Michael Lange

Taking advantage of early meltdown of BC's starting pitcher, HF takes early 4-0 lead. Jason Clark of BC reliefs the starting pitcher and closes the door, BC's strong hitting, errorless defense and key hits by Troy Bolton and Garret Delano got BC back into game.

HF played small ball with great speed, and rallied for 3 in the 7th on a Michael Lange 2 rbi single to bring the go ahead run to the plate. Matt Hicks who pitched well in relief got the k and the win.

im tellin you...this district is tough..throw the predictions out the window...all the "lower teams" if thats what you want to call them are still good whether people want to say it or not...people can be beat w/ small ball and being "scrappy"  hf is a solid team..there is a reason why jasper played them close too folks..they are no gimmie

You are the wisest poster I've seen in the Baseball Forum in a long time!

Guest Orangeboy

Bolton had 4 big RBI's, while Delano, Robertson, and Warner also had big hits to keep the rallies going. Hicks was very impressive once again.

Guest nevermind

I think everyone will have to agree to disagree on the whole pitcher throwing the ball thing. He shouldn't have thrown the ball at the runner's FEET (and it was at his feet), but sometimes people react stupidly.

When will Casey Jackson be able to play the catcher position again? And why isn’t Warner the catcher instead of the freshman? Before everyone gets in a tizzy, I’m not downing the freshman because I think he is a very good ball player. He hits well and will be a great asset to BC baseball. But there is a big difference in Jr. High ball and High School varsity ball. He doesn’t seem to be ready to be the starting catcher. I have only seen 4 BC games this year, and he has made the same mistakes in every game.  Way too many passed balls and dropped 3rd strikes. These pitchers are throwing very hard and the catcher needs to be able to handle those pitches. He just seems to react a little slow. The pitches will hit his glove and bounce out. And he needs to throw off his mask when he is looking for a dropped ball around his feet (should be instinctive for a catcher). He tends to spin around wildly and can’t see the ball. All these things will come with experience and I have no doubt he will become a great catcher, but he might be better at another position right now and sub in at catcher. Warner is playing 1st (and doing a great job), but he is more experienced at catcher. Why not switch him with Robertson.

Guest nevermind

I think everyone will have to agree to disagree on the whole pitcher throwing the ball thing. He shouldn't have thrown the ball at the runner's FEET (and it was at his feet), but sometimes people react stupidly.

When will Casey Jackson be able to play the catcher position again? And why isn’t Warner the catcher instead of the freshman? Before everyone gets in a tizzy, I’m not downing the freshman because I think he is a very good ball player. He hits well and will be a great asset to BC baseball. But there is a big difference in Jr. High ball and High School varsity ball. He doesn’t seem to be ready to be the starting catcher. I have only seen 4 BC games this year, and he has made the same mistakes in every game.  Way too many passed balls and dropped 3rd strikes. These pitchers are throwing very hard and the catcher needs to be able to handle those pitches. He just seems to react a little slow. The pitches will hit his glove and bounce out. And he needs to throw off his mask when he is looking for a dropped ball around his feet (should be instinctive for a catcher). He tends to spin around wildly and can’t see the ball. All these things will come with experience and I have no doubt he will become a great catcher, but he might be better at another position right now and sub in at catcher. Warner is playing 1st (and doing a great job), but he is more experienced at catcher. Why not switch him with Robertson

How can you come on here and talk about a player that has respect for the game and works his butt off  but you want to forget about the episode with the pitcher?

I guess next you will be blaming the catcher for all the balls that are thrown in the dirt. 

This is why I have never posted before. People don't always read the post! I said this kid was a good player, but anyone who has watched these games has to admit that he drops a lot of balls and doesn't see the ball well. I am sure he has a lot of respect for the game, that doesn't change the mistakes. All I'm saying is he is not quite ready to handle the postition full time as starter. I am not forgetting the episode with the pitcher but it has been talked to death, your not going to agree so it needs to be dropped. And I don't blame the catcher for all the pitches that hit the dirt, but he has to be able to stop them. That is what a catcher does. A wild pitch will get by them occasionally, but not on a regular basis. That will come with experience.

1. On this whole 'who should catch for BC' issue -- Casey Jackson is still nursing sore throwing shoulder so that makes it difficult for him to catch.  I think the issue for Bryant is how to get as many of his bats in the lineup as possible.  If that means Robertson catch, Warner at first and Jackson at DH then thats the best way to play it.

2.  BC keeps playing with fire.  Remember?  There was a game played around all of this other 'controversy'.  Kudos to BC for pulling out the win in less than dominating fashion and kudos to HF for hanging tough even through the 7th inning.  The Horns have played everyone in their district tough...and nothing to show for it.

I don't think it was malicious. I heard the kid tell someone later he was really embarrassed. Apparently, he just reacted when his coach was screaming, "Throw him out! Throw him out!". And the coach did not call a time out. There was a lot of confusion because the catcher just started walking towards the dugout. Billy asked him if he called the timeout (the catcher) and he said no. (Why he was walking towards the dugout is a mystery). That's when Billy began screaming to throw out the runner. I expected the catcher to dart over and make the catch and the tag but he started walking away from the runner. Not to make excuses for the pitcher, he should have made sure someone was there to throw the ball to, and he seemed to realize that after the fact. Just a big mental mistake. Kind of like shooting a basketball at the opposing team's goal or running the wrong way with the football. Hopefully Stringer can get back to his game because he had started to pitch well. By the way, the ump had called timeout to clean the plate (the catcher should have known that).

Yep, not to take anything away from the catcher or make excuses for the pitcher but it was more like mistakes that are going to be made from "inexperience".  They are still kids.