BISD Votes to Merge Central and Ozen beginning in 2018-19

AshlyHasBeen

42 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

This is great news for the football team. They will get some big time applicants if BISD does the right thing and increases their HFC salary. As far as basketball goes, they already have great ones in place, so I'd say keep them and roll on.

This is going to be a key factor in how many applicants put in.  I mentioned this to the AD a couple of weeks ago about getting the pay up to at least $98K which is the state average for 5A and 6A. 

2 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

Found out last night that ALL head athletic coaching positions will be open for outside applicants.

This is the best news possible and the AD needs to fight hard to get the HFC/Campus Coordinator salary at a place that is competitive with everybody in the state. There will be great candidates regardless, but a state wide competitive salary would be even more enticing.

Now, after they get a great Head Coach in place, they need to up the Coordinators salary as well, if that happens then they could be in a great position.

As far as the school name and mascot, I really like the message Beaumont United sends as a school name. And the Hurricanes mascot with the "U" color scheme and logo would be very well accepted.  

14 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

This is the best news possible and the AD needs to fight hard to get the HFC/Campus Coordinator salary at a place that is competitive with everybody in the state. There will be great candidates regardless, but a state wide competitive salary would be even more enticing.

Now, after they get a great Head Coach in place, they need to up the Coordinators salary as well, if that happens then they could be in a great position.

As far as the school name and mascot, I really like the message Beaumont United sends as a school name. And the Hurricanes mascot with the "U" color scheme and logo would be very well accepted.  

Using Beaumont United, you could get away with using the "U" and not have to worry about the infringement stuff with the University of Miami.

6 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Using Beaumont United, you could get away with using the "U" and not have to worry about the infringement stuff with the University of Miami.

I like it because of the relevance of the situation and the frequency with which this area experiences Hurricanes. Also, the message of being united or in a union promotes a sense of unity. I’m an outsider, my opinion should not matter.

I do wish the kids and the community members do get a say and get what they want out of this.

19 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Exactly and it sends the message of everybody pulling the rope in the same direction.

I'm an outsider too, but I know a bunch of people in both schools and communities. Unification is something that is needed. It will make the school environment better and it will make life outside of school better if we can get everybody UNITED on one goal and one purpose, to make BISD the best district possible, academically, athletically and in the area of fine arts. 

3 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Exactly and it sends the message of everybody pulling the rope in the same direction.

I'm an outsider too, but I know a bunch of people in both schools and communities. Unification is something that is needed. It will make the school environment better and it will make life outside of school better if we can get everybody UNITED on one goal and one purpose, to make BISD the best district possible, academically, athletically and in the area of fine arts. 

absolutely can not forget those fine arts programs if you ask me

21 minutes ago, The Icon said:

I like it because of the relevance of the situation and the frequency with which this area experiences Hurricanes. Also, the message of being united or in a union promotes a sense of unity. I’m an outsider, my opinion should not matter.

I do wish the kids and the community members do get a say and get what they want out of this.

I'm out of "likes" for the day...

6 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

12 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

No worries Jag.

Just wanted y'all to know that there are a few of us outside BISD that want nothing but the best for the new school and the community. The kids deserve the opportunity to be successful. They deserve every chance in the world to win at life.

59 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

How about a nod to the pars of town the schools are seated.  

Central -Old Town

Ozen - Pear Orchard

Old Pear High, and I'm ok with the Drillers, Hurricanes, or any other big cat as the mascot. Colors are the schiik'a secondary colors, blue and gray/gray and blue.

Initially I was thinking along the same line Soulja, but as I take a long look at it, i think there needs to be a clean break from the "OLD" schools.

If you keep the community or school names then somebody is going to gripe about why is that school or community first in the name? i.e. Central-Ozen, Old Pear etc....

If you keep the colors similar then somebody will gripe because their school is not the dominant color. i.e why the uniforms grey? why the numbers blue on the whit uni's????

I was just thinking that something completely new, that brings them together under one banner that everybody can own , would be the best way to go.

1 hour ago, Go-rilla said:

Who cares about coaches salaries and hallway issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone tell what the starting lineup is looking like!

Well Central graduates about 30-35 seniors this year.  There were some Juniors that played but I see just about every position up for grabs, nothing on lock.  Depending on who is given the keys, Central will have 2 current sophomores (juniors next year) competing with whoever Ozen has returning for the QB position.  That's why to me they need to get this HC named as soon as possible so that they can do spring football in May.  An extra week in August isn't enough time in my opinion when merging 2 teams.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

How about a nod to the pars of town the schools are seated.  

Central -Old Town

Ozen - Pear Orchard

Old Pear High, and I'm ok with the Drillers, Hurricanes, or any other big cat as the mascot. Colors are the schiik'a secondary colors, blue and gray/gray and blue.

Looking at you sideways...:)

39 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Well Central graduates about 30-35 seniors this year.  There were some Juniors that played but I see just about every position up for grabs, nothing on lock.  Depending on who is given the keys, Central will have 2 current sophomores (juniors next year) competing with whoever Ozen has returning for the QB position.  That's why to me they need to get this HC named as soon as possible so that they can do spring football in May.  An extra week in August isn't enough time in my opinion when merging 2 teams.

Offseason, realignment and time to get the kids together to mesh a little bit. Don't want August to be the first time the kids are on the field together. 

57 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Not a huge fan of Spring Ball, but this a situation where it should be mandatory. The AD should make sure that the Head Coach is hired and the Coordinators are in place prior to April and then mandate they do Spring Ball. This is the only way they will have a chance to compete next season. 

21 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Not a huge fan of Spring Ball, but this a situation where it should be mandatory. The AD should make sure that the Head Coach is hired and the Coordinators are in place prior to April and then mandate they do Spring Ball. This is the only way they will have a chance to compete next season. 

But this question has to be raised.  How do you legally conduct a spring practice for a school that does not exist yet?