Cards make statement!

Cards make statement, stay clean

By Dave Rogers

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND – Jeff Stringer said the Bridge City Cardinals have something to prove. Well, they’re off to a good start.

The two-time defending Region III-3A champ won twice in opening-day play of Nederland’s Bulldog Classic baseball tournament Thursday to remain undefeated for the season.

The Cardinals improved to 5-0-1 for the season with Thursday night’s 13-4 win over Leesville, La., that was capped by a Johnny Dishon grand slam.

But before that, Stringer pitched a five-inning no-hitter as Bridge City strolled to a surprisingly easy 10-0 win over Nederland in what was expected to be the day’s showcase game.

“I felt good,†said the senior left-hander, a Lamar University signee. “I was out there to prove a point to people around here. Since we lost Kevin people say we don’t have much.â€

Two-time all-state pitcher Kevin Angelle graduated last spring along with six other Cardinal starters and even BC coach Billy Bryant has openly questioned his team’s ability to make the playoffs in a tough new District 21-3A lineup that includes no fewer than six playoff teams from last year.

“He’s aiming a little low,†Stringer said of his coach. “I haven’t changed my expectations. We beat Nederland 10-0 and hit the ball pretty well. We even made our first errors of the season.

“I think that definitely puts a dent in everybody’s predictions.â€

Bridge City hitters jumped on Nederland pitching for 12 hits, collecting eight hits and eight runs in two-plus innings off Bulldog starter Micah Mosley. The hosts also helped fan the flames with five fielding errors.

Meanwhile, Stringer came within two errors and a walk of a perfect game. He struck out nine of the 17 batters he faced.

“You can’t win if you don’t get any hits,†Nederland coach Cody Robbins said. “You can’t win with five errors. You can’t win with poor at-bats, regardless of what the other team’s pitching is like.

“And their pitching was outstanding. You’ve got to give him (Stringer) credit. But we’ve got to beat people like him if we want to get where we want to be. That ain’t getting it done.â€

Nederland didn’t get it done in the nightcap, either, falling to 2-2 for the season. And that despite a three-run Ryan Sampere home run in the first inning that provided a 4-0 lead.

Sulphur bounced back against Bulldog pitching ace Beau Helmke with a nine-run second inning and won 11-5.

Dishon, the LSU signee who patrols center field for the Cardinals, actually knocked two balls out of Metreyeon-Delahoussaye Park Thursday.

This time last year I would've called you crazy for comparing Stringer to Angelle but Stringer has stepped his game up tremendously this year.  He's improved in so many areas.  I believe the no-hitter he threw against BH in the playoffs last year is still in his system  :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124